Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat on Products from North of Ireland

• 25-09-2008 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi i will be buying a lot of goods from the north and was wondering what way the vat works out. Is it 21% and can I claim it back in the Rep. Of Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Give them your VAT number and you shouldn't have to pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

At the moment I am not registered for VAT but they are charging me 17%VAT. They told me to get a VAT number. So If I get a VAT No. who do I pay VAT to? Could you explain a bit more as I havent a clue:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If you are a VAT registered trader you are entitled to deduct VAT on your purchases.

You are also oblidged to charge VAT on your services at the appropriate rates.

You will file a bi monthly VAT return and pay over to revenue the difference between your input credits and output accountable VAT if any.

You savy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

And being vat registered in Ireland will mean that when you give the frim in the North your vat number, you will not be charged vat on THESE goods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

could someone give an example of the complete cycle,

please correct me with this...

You buy something from the north, let's say it cost £117 Including Vat...
    Your Vat registered in Ireland, If you Provide your vat number to the UK business you will not be charged vat at 17%
    You Pay £100(€126.15) for the goods...

You then resell the goods for €300 and pay vat at 21% of the sale price...€63 (You've collected the vat and have to give it to the vat man)

Your then left with €110.85 profit (sale price less vat and cost of goods) and I get confused after this part:confused:....

tks
    dm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi , If you take another look at your example:

Goods sold by you 300.00 vat 63.00 Total 363.00
    Goods purchased by you 126.15 Vat 0.00 Total 126.15

Vat payable to Vat man 63.00

Your profit 300 - 126.15 = 173.85

When you complete your vat return you must self-account for the vat on the goods you purchased from the north. It does not effect your cost of the goods or the profit made.
    Hope this makes sense.

Advertisement