Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Gas fire

Options
  • 25-09-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hey. I have an old gas fire in my house. I was in a similar house down the road, and he had removed his fire, and removed the fireplace, and fuireback and just had it empty. They are the old fireplaces, so from about waist high to chest high, they are plastered. This is easily knocked out.

I would like to do this in my place, however I dont know what order I should do it in. I would like to get a gas fire basket in. But can I get a fireplace and ask the fitter to remove the old gas fire, fireplace, mantle ect? What will I have to do myself and in what order?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

oxygen wrote: »
    Hey. I have an old gas fire in my house. I was in a similar house down the road, and he had removed his fire, and removed the fireplace, and fuireback and just had it empty. They are the old fireplaces, so from about waist high to chest high, they are plastered. This is easily knocked out.

I would like to do this in my place, however I dont know what order I should do it in. I would like to get a gas fire basket in. But can I get a fireplace and ask the fitter to remove the old gas fire, fireplace, mantle ect? What will I have to do myself and in what order?

Thanks

Best bet is to get a gas installer to take out your existing fire first .

Then take out your fireplace and plaster it up. Not sure who you would get to take out the fireplace and plaster up the opening. Maybe ring an agency and get a couple of lads to take out the fireplace. Then ring around for plasterers to put a finish to it.

Then get the gas installer back to install the new fire.

We've done the job a few times in the past for people ,where we've taken out the fireplace and arranged the plasterer. But it's harder to get a gas installer to do jobs like that now.

Advertisement