Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making basic healthy Soup

• 25-09-2008 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Not on a diet or anything but am trying to eat more healthily. Anyhow, I have no idea how to make soup. What I'm thinking of is,

boil some veg,
    throw in blender,
    add some water,
    blend.

alternitively, if I use a stock cube, can I just throw that in the boiling veg water while the veg is cooking?

Now I'm not sure what to attempt with chicken soup. Can I just throw a stock cube in some water and boil? Then I presume I can dice some cooked chicken and throw that in along with some veg?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Soup has infinite varieties. The classic soup is something like: brown onions in butter or oil, add other vegetables, add stock (or hot water with a stock cube) and boil, blend.

Personally, I tend to keep the water I cook vegetables in, and then add the leftovers from dinner (let's say beef and broccoli). Bring back to the boil, then blend. Or I use the veggie water, add some other vegetables (brussels spourts makes great soup), possibly a stock cube or some meat or chicken, cook and blend.

Most people put potato in soup. I don't so I need to use extra vegetables. Potato tends to thicken it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I always start with an onion & some garlic to get some good flavour, then throw in some veg (or roast it) and some stock, leave the lid on until veg is soft. I usually then use a hand-blender to just give it a bit of a whizz. I like it chunky.

Herbs & spices, tomato puree, cans of chopped tomatoes, low-fat coconut milk. These can all be used to add taste.

So for example, you could fry up an onion and garlic, then some garlic and cumin, coriander & turmeric. Chop up a butternut squash & add that. Throw in some stock, can of chopped toms or can of low-fat coconut milk. Voila!

Avoca has a nice little soups book but I'm not sure how healthy the recipes are -although you can tweak recipes of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I start by gently frying onion, carrot, celery and leek in a bit of olive oil for approx 10 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent. I might then add 100g red split lentels ( good for protein) and 1 litre of stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes. I usually blend it to make a thick hearty soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 laughingtoaster

marigold swiss vegetable bouillon is great for stock. its a powder/granules you get in tubs in healthfood shops & some supermarkets

Advertisement