Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant for a foodie

• 25-09-2008 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

My boyfriend's a bit of a foodie and it's his birthday next week. I'd like to take him somewhere he hasn't been before (in Dublin city somewhere)... Basically, my problem is thinking of somewhere that's a bit different or really nice and won't be booked out a week in advance. I'd settle for a lunch somewhere cool either. Budget would be about 150 euro for 2 but obviously less than that is good. We went to L'Gueuleton recently for the first time & loved it if that's any help...

Just wondering if anyone would have any ideas? Anywhere weird or wonderful or anywhere good for special occasions?

Thanks,
    Aoife

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I would reccommend Darwin's on Aungier st. It's fairly expensive but would fall into your budget. It's really nice. I can't speak for the meat dishes but the veggie ones were excellent.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My future brother in law (who's a chef) and my parents both recommend Mint in Ranelagh as a top place to eat.

They do a lunch for €50 a head for 3 courses: http://www.mintrestaurant.ie/index.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Prices at that Mint place are mad. Is that the restaurant that was featured on RTE recently with the real ársey Chef?

I had a meal in Dax Restaurant recently and it was probably the nicest meal I've ever had. Expensive enough but the food was amazing. Cheapest bottle of wine was about €30. Having said that though, a meal for two with a really nice Minervois was €160.

It's a French style restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Yep thats the same guy

I think you would be stretching your budget with Mint myself

If your bf loved L'guelueton, then he would really like Chez Maxs. It is far better than Guelueton, authentic tasty French food, perfect place for a nice romantic meal. Decent price as well.

I would give that a shot, how can you say no to snails and frogs legs !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Up to about a week ago, I would have recommended Balzac on Dawson Street, but I was there on Sat and some of the dishes for our party just weren't great. Others were fantastic though.

Chapter One do a great value early bird, so you might like to consider that.

If he likes Indian Food, then the "Indian Summer" restaurant near the Kilmacud Road does some of the best modern Indian food around. Not your usual chicken tikka.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

There are 5 restaurants in Ireland that are rated with Michelin Stars. Mint is one of those so it's going to be expensive. It's next on my list to visit.

Chapter One
    L'Ecrivain
    Patrick Guildbald (2*)
    Thorntons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 aoifeg

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. I will now attempt to book one. I tried to book lunch in Gilbauds yesterday but seems they're booked up indefinitely... Ah, if only to be a celebrity or something:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Chapter One early bird is a great bet, but you'll have to book a month in advance.

But failing that - the Winding Stair - it's where all the staff in Chapter One choose to go :)

If your bf loved L'guelueton, then he would really like Chez Maxs. It is far better than Guelueton, authentic tasty French food,

Talking about Chez Max, we ordered a charcuterie plate and a few slices of that 'happy jolly' or whatever it's called (the 'ham' with a smiley face on it) was included on the plate. :confused:

OH! And when we ordered our last bottle of wine (which took AGES to appear) the waitress opened it and filled each glass to the brim, spilling some over the sides, and then left the table with an empty bottle.

We haven't been back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

i thought Bon apetit in Malahide had a michelin star now too? I heard its delish...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It does, most recent star for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

olaola wrote: »
    Talking about Chez Max, we ordered a charcuterie plate and a few slices of that 'happy jolly' or whatever it's called (the 'ham' with a smiley face on it) was included on the plate. :confused:

They served Billy Roll at a French restaurant? :confused:

WindSock wrote: »
    They served Billy Roll at a French restaurant? :confused:
    Ahhh - Billy Roll - that's what it's called. Yep, I should have taken a picture of it. I was as confused as you were - it was my first and last time there tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

take him to Bentley's Oyster bar and grill. it's richard corrigan's new restaurant on stephen's green. very nice. also just won the top prize in food and wine magazine awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭The Stig

Bentleys is a bit pricey. You wouldnt be long hitting your budget.
    I can recommend VENU.
    Excellant food and a great cocktail bar. Its not over priced either. Its run by charles Guilboud

http://www.venu.ie/

Advertisement