Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much work will the upkeep of Decking

Options
  • 25-09-2008 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I've just put on an extension and I'm just finishing off the Garden I was just wondering how much upkeep would decking be?

Is it something I'll have to get treated ever few years or every 10 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Depending what board used and the site aspect (sunny/shaded), if it is an area which will be accessed everyday, then likelihood is it will require annual maintenance.

Boards tend to deteriorate rapidly, slippy and sticky, not to mention the ugly discoloration which will require staining to conceal etc.

IMO not a wise choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my parents have decking and i've nearly come a cropper on wet decking several times; it goes green and has to be powerhosed or chemically treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

A few landscapers who called to my house told me that decking is on the way out and that those who have it, hate it and have asked for it to be removed. Our climate is too wet for decks though I think they look great in warmer climates like California where I first saw one in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

Composite Decking in my opinion is the only way forward for decking. There is good few companies supplying it so price around. There is big differences in colours and material.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think there's a place for good quality treated timber decking. It should be well treated initially and will probably need a coat of antifungus liquid and decking treatment about once every three years.
    It's importnat that you dont use that crap "do it yourself" metre squares decking that you can buy. Much better buying the boards and railings yourself as well as a few treated rougher timbers as a frame. Ensure that the subframe is solid and that you have enough cross members on the support structure and that the timbers are close together. This will stop the boards themselves warping over time.
    Important to ensure the ground under it is level, possibly dug out a small bit and filled in with gravel and one of those "Anti Weed" sheets. Make sure the subframe is kept off the ground slightly(depending on how tall your subframe is)
    I think with a bit of planning and patience you can make a decent sized decking that looks well, needs relatively little maintainence and doesnt cost the earth (if you do it yoursef)
    Personally, I am not gone on the composite type desking at all as of yet anyway but that could change.
    I'd like to add, I am fairly skeptical of "landscapers" telling me anything.

The key for me is to make sure the prepartion work is good.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

kippy wrote: »

Kippy

It was the one point that I could agree on with the landscapers who called to my house as I've seen examples of decking in my family and friend's houses and it looks atrocious - probably the cheap stuff to begin with and not kept maintained. It was covered in fungus, green and slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

kippy wrote: »
    I think there's a place for good quality treated timber decking. It should be well treated initially and will probably need a coat of antifungus liquid and decking treatment about once every three years.
    It's importnat that you dont use that crap "do it yourself" metre squares decking that you can buy. Much better buying the boards and railings yourself as well as a few treated rougher timbers as a frame. Ensure that the subframe is solid and that you have enough cross members on the support structure and that the timbers are close together. This will stop the boards themselves warping over time.
    Important to ensure the ground under it is level, possibly dug out a small bit and filled in with gravel and one of those "Anti Weed" sheets. Make sure the subframe is kept off the ground slightly(depending on how tall your subframe is)
    I think with a bit of planning and patience you can make a decent sized decking that looks well, needs relatively little maintainence and doesnt cost the earth (if you do it yoursef)
    Personally, I am not gone on the composite type desking at all as of yet anyway but that could change.

The key for me is to make sure the prepartion work is good.
    Kippy

Well Kippy,

I've no idea of your encounters with landscapers or indeed the nature of your scepticism. But the facts are there plain as daylight in most cases, that timber decking does not perform well in Irish climates, irrespective of what material or preparation is done.

Although I'm not a big fan, preferring natural stone in most cases, but there are some good quality composite decking now available, the better grades costing a lot more than natural stone, and similar to stone requiring comparatively low levels of annual maintenance.

It also goes without saying that a DIY will perhaps save on costs, but frequently the quality of finish might be compromised, perhaps even no better than what some 'average landscaper' can achieve.

But you get what you pay for, and any discerning customer/client can distinguish between value for money and saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well Kippy,

I've no idea of your encounters with landscapers or indeed the nature of your scepticism. But the facts are there plain as daylight in most cases, that timber decking does not perform well in Irish climates, irrespective of what material or preparation is done.

Although I'm not a big fan, preferring natural stone in most cases, but there are some good quality composite decking now available, the better grades costing a lot more than natural stone, and similar to stone requiring comparatively low levels of annual maintenance.

It also goes without saying that a DIY will perhaps save on costs, but frequently the quality of finish might be compromised, perhaps even no better than what some 'average landscaper' can achieve.

But you get what you pay for, and any discerning customer/client can distinguish between value for money and saving money.
    My skepticism regarding landscapers sady comes from the myriad of gardening/home improvement programmes on the TV. I cant say I every find anything these particuliar ones do to a garden in anyway appealing or practical (in general).
    In relation to decking, landscapers in general are not trained carpenters-they are more like architects. I wouldnt let a landscaper put down any decking just like I wouldnt let an architect put up a roof. (in general)
    Decking is less space for flowers/grass/etc and generally works out less to put in and maintain than any off these.
    If you are tidy enough with your hands and have a few simple tools and follow the basics you'll end up with a decent deck that looks good and provided is well maintained, will last.

I'd like to point out I am not a carpenter/landscaper/architect and that the comments expressed here regarding various professions are my own and obviously a very generalistic view.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

My thoughts on this are that decks are not suitable for people who are only out on the garden during the summer.
    If you are this type of person then you are probably not going to be treating/maintaining the deck every year and it will turn to green slime during the winter.

Apart from the finish I think a DIY deck is more likely to be looked after.

Advertisement