Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC world stonewalling

Options
  • 25-09-2008 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

So about a month ago PC world Liffey Valley called me to tell me that my in-warrenty laptop was fixed and ready for collection.

Collection, I ask sharply? It was supposed to be delivered to my house. They say they'll look into it. That was 4 weeks ago. Since then I've been calling and calling and calling on every number I can find, but they will not answer any of their lines. Their so-called customer service line is no such thing; it is a switchboard which also serves Currys and Dixons, and they can't help me beyond emailing the shop, which I ask them to do.

After they do that, I wait a week to be called. No dice. I've emailed their UK office, and after a two day wait get a reply saying they've forwarded my email to the shop, even though this has already been tried and failed. They don't offer any other help.

I cannot (and at this stage will not) go to collect my computer. The shop is un-contactable, they have no customer service, and take "5-7" business days for a resolution, according the UK office which I had to email.

I think it takes less than 5-7 business days to call the manager and ask her to sort this out. Am I being unreasonable in expecting them to honour their side of the bargin? I didn't even ask for it to be delivered, they offered and I accepted!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I could be wrong but unless they are under clear contractable agreed bindings and tied to delivering it to you, you might be going up to get it or at least paying for its delivery..

Others will let you know about this...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If its just a point of principle, Id rather have my laptop, and would go and collect the thing. Is there a reason why you cant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I see your point OP, this situation would wreck my head. But you might save yourself a lot of aggravation by just collecting it and being done with the lot of them. If they have been this incompetent up to now imagine what lies ahead :eek: Is it really worth it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Oryx wrote: »
    If its just a point of principle, Id rather have my laptop, and would go and collect the thing. Is there a reason why you cant?
    IsThatSo? wrote: »
    I see your point OP, this situation would wreck my head. But you might save yourself a lot of aggravation by just collecting it and being done with the lot of them. If they have been this incompetent up to now imagine what lies ahead :eek: Is it really worth it??

Totally agree. I would just collect it and never have anything to do with them again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

At this stage i would collect it and talk to the manager and see if they will throw something in for free for the inconvenience caused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Firstly, did the terms of the warranty state that it would be returned to your address, or was it up to you to collect? If they should have returned it, then I'd be tempted to force them into it, and wait as long as it takes too, but not if I needed it urgently. It's not unreasonable of you to expect them to honour this, if it was part of the warranty.

Second, is there a reason why you can't collect it anyway? If you call into the shop in person, you might get a reason as to why they haven't sent it. You might also get some recompense for the hold up, so it might be worth doing. At he very least you could give out stink to the manager and ask them if the computer shop actually has email?

Obviously if you don't have a car, or whatever, and live far away, then collecting is going to be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I don't need the laptop, it's for leisure. The shop is a 5 hour round trip from my house. I'd just be terrified that if I went to the shop they wouldn't find it, and I'd have made the trip for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

A 5 hour drive is a long enough trip, but if you want the laptop back, it looks like the only way. Make sure you speak to their manager, and go through him/her for a shortcut.

If your laptop is in warrenty, and it's gone a month in PC World, then you can also get a new laptop of the same value as the one you purchased, which, as long as there's not too much you'd be missing on the other one (I hope you backed up before giving it to them) might be an option if they don't have yours in store when you get there.

Last time I had to send a laptop in there, I was buying a new desktop aswell, ended up getting 200 quid off the desktop and a 19in LCD thrown in for free - After seeing the manager...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

ya u are better off going in to the store....you're speaking to them direct.just be cute on your approach to getting stuff for free....shouting and demanding rarely works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

vinniew09 wrote: »
    ya u are better off going in to the store....you're speaking to them direct.just be cute on your approach to getting stuff for free....shouting and demanding rarely works

Vinnie...

You should check the dates of the threads you are replying to in future. This one is almost 1 year old. I'd hope that the OP has got his laptop issue sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement