Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Fuel Consumption?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Guys,

Thinking of buying a 2002 BMW 318 CI, its 2.0l & automatic. Would this have terrible fuel consumption......any ideas on how many miles per gallon?

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SideShowMel

Forgot to mention....its Petrol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Forgot to mention....its Petrol :)

25mpg in town 35mpg out of it. Heavy enough really but then small engined auto's are never that easy on juice. My mate had one, nice car to drive however but better with a manual imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

stay away from it get a six pot bmw way better car!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭nicker_s

I have a 318i (which is currently for sale see what I did there) I get a good bit more than that i'd say 40/45 mpg on the motorway and about 30 in town, that is a manual mind you. I was driving an Alfa 156 before that and was surprised how much less the BMW used up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I used to average about 27 - 30mpg in my '00 318 auto. I'd guess 25% open road, 75% urban. That was the older 1.9 engine. I'd say the 2.0 valvetronic engine should be a bit better. Ferris could be about right.

Lovely car to drive and adequate power for everyday driving. Before discounting anything based on mpg, figure out how much extra you'll be spending on fuel, based on the mileage you do, versus the alternatives. Then decide if the nicer, thirstier car is worth the (probably small) premium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I'm getting a steady 35 - 40mpg from my 320i (2006 petrol) if thats any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

geting form my 330d about 60mpg and had a 318ci the new modal a 01 one and it done 25-35mpg at bast puting about 50 in a weak one a had and thats 2 yaers ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

xbox36016 wrote: »
    geting form my 330d about 60mpg and had a 318ci the new modal a 01 one and it done 25-35mpg at bast puting about 50 in a weak one a had and thats 2 yaers ago

I call that bull.

We get 50 - 55 mpg from our 520d which officially averages 55.4 mpg in mixed driving. It'll top 65 mpg in steady motorway/dual carriageway driving.

The 330d does 45 mpg on average in the EU tests which are optimistic at best, so I don't for a second believe that a 330d can do 60 mpg, well I'm sure it can, going down a hill or something, but not in the real world it can't. I know that the forthcoming facelifted 330d does 49.6 mpg on average, but you can't yet buy one, so it'll be the current one which at best and with EfficientDynamics does 45 mpg on average.

Anyhoo, back to the OP - the Valvetronic 318i can be expected to average in the region of 35 mpg with a slush box, and around 38-40 mpg with a manual.

As the 320Ci automatic is only supposed to be 4-5 mpg less economical(than a 318Ci auto), but has more power, a glorious straight 6 sound, and superior refinement I would strongly advise the OP to choose that instead of a 318i, especially a 318Ci that has an automatic gearbox.

A 320Ci would probably cost less to buy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

xbox36016 wrote: »
    E92 wrote: »
    I call that bull.

We get 50 - 55 mpg from our 520d which officially averages 55.4 mpg in mixed driving. It'll top 65 mpg in steady motorway/dual carriageway driving.

The 330d does 45 mpg on average in the EU tests which are optimistic at best, so I don't for a second believe that a 330d can do 60 mpg, well I'm sure it can, going down a hill or something, but not in the real world it can't. I know that the forthcoming facelifted 330d does 49.6 mpg on average, but you can't yet buy one, so it'll be the current one which at best and with EfficientDynamics does 45 mpg on average.

Anyhoo, back to the OP - the Valvetronic 318i can be expected to average in the region of 35 mpg with a slush box, and around 38-40 mpg with a manual.

As the 320Ci automatic is only supposed to be 4-5 mpg less economical(than a 318Ci auto), but has more power, a glorious straight 6 sound, and superior refinement I would strongly advise the OP to choose that instead of a 318i, especially a 318Ci that has an automatic gearbox.

Yes he is lying...He is 16 years old..He is only guessing how much the car does he would hardly know this himself..Just wanted to let you know that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

E92 wrote: »

Agreed. My current 320Ci is averaging around 25mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Ferris wrote: »
    25mpg in town 35mpg out of it. Heavy enough really but then small engined auto's are never that easy on juice. My mate had one, nice car to drive however but better with a manual imo.

strange, I get 22mpg in town and 28 mpg out of town in my 330ci and I drive like a lunatic

yours sounds very heavy mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

lamabda many be f*ed

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

just reading this posts on BMW consumption, recently bought a 320d SE 06, and i only average 42mpg (7l/100km) roughly, does this sound right?

Mainly M50 driving at least one way a day,home through town so 50/50 mir urban / motorway. I get rougly 1000km on full tank

E92 mentions 520d getting ~52mpg, should i be getting better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Hammertime wrote: »
    strange, I get 22mpg in town and 28 mpg out of town in my 330ci and I drive like a lunatic

yours sounds very heavy mate

If you drive an auto like a lunatic then you are often better off with a larger engine economy wise. The auto will hold a small engined car in a lower gear for longer than in a larger engined car to accelerate to the same degree

Safety wise I'm not so sure however.:)

The e46 is not the lightest car, and to move it with a comparitively weedy enging through an auto box is never going to be economical.

The 16valve 318ci manual is quite easy on the juice in comparison and is actually quick enough - although its no 325 or 330.

Advertisement