Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten nipping and biting - any advice?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My 4-month old kitten has developed a bad habit of nipping and biting me. He can go from being petted to taking a big bite of my arm, or he can be playing and then just lunge in. Sometimes he's purring while he does it.

It's very annoying, not to mention sore. At the moment I give him a stern NO, then if he persists pick him up by the scruff of the neck, give him my best firm look and set him on the floor. I then do my best to ignore him. This doesn't seem to be working.

Any advice? Please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

All kittens do that for a phase - usually their siblings get them out of the habit! The thing is to give them the cold shoulder after they do it. At the moment, you are kinda giving him extra attention after he does it.

If he bites, just let out a yelp or squeek and withdraw all attention & contact for a short while. He'll slowly get the message.

Some cats never break the habit of nipping in the midst of petting. You just have to learn when they have had enough of being stroked - signs: will start to tense up, tail will start twitching/wagging.

Have fun with your kitten - they grow up so fast into big, sneaky monsters! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

Hi UB,

You need to let your kitten know that you are not a toy!
    That you'll play with them but that your hands and things are not for their claw's entertainment.

I find a gentle substitution works best while they are going through this place - keep a small stuffed toy to hand and when they start to nip and scratch put the toy in instead of your hand.

They'll still feel all loved and get the attention that kittens need and love, but you won't come out of it looking like a junkie with track marks all down your hands and arms! *grin*

Mostly though, it's a small price to pay in return for an amazing bundle of furry craziness who'll grow into a best friend. enjoy every second of it - they grow up too quickly!

xxxkate

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One of ours still does it at age 6 occasionally!! You can tell when it's going to happen though, the swishing tail is the big giveaway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

I hope you don't mind me stealing your quote from another thread Minesajackdaniels but ......
    If you get scratched or bitten, you have to react negatively, but don't ever slap the kitten. It sort of goes "play play play, hee hee, play, OUCH! NO!! [withdraw play]." Praise gentle behaviour, but respond to scratching and biting with a firm NO and either walk away or stop the game for a minute or two.

Since I read this, I have literally lived by this with my two. They are real playful and any time the claws come out, that "withdraw play" pops straight into my head. So it's "ouch, no" and walk away!!! It has saved my poor hands no end of scratches!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

You really shouldn't pick a cat or a kitten up by the scruff once they are old enough that their paws don't curl up when they are picked up like that - usually about 6-8 weeks.

Withdrawing from play should be sufficient to teach them that it will not be tolerated.

It can be a good idea to play with them with wand toys for the period when they are most likely to do this. Keeps the claws well away from you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My cat bites my toes all bloody night, OP when you find a cure PM me - PLEAAAAAASE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Thicker duvet and a water bottle - one of those plant misters does the trick.

(Our big tabby does that. And he really, really means it. He loses all sense when he sees a foot moving under a blanket, and hits it full tilt, all claws out. We found lots of screaming of NOOOOOO!!! helped. And then we were in Ikea, and bought a sheepskin which we leave on the foot of the bed. Acts to both protect feets, and means cats sleep on it and don't spend as much time hogging the bed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Thanks for all the advice, I suppose it's just a case of perseverance. Hopefully it's only a phase, a volatile cat is all we need.
    Mairt wrote: »
    My cat bites my toes all bloody night, OP when you find a cure PM me - PLEAAAAAASE.

You could remove your toes.

Advertisement