Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD UCD DCU . . . convince me people

Options
  • 25-09-2008 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I plan to do german in some form in one of these colleges

as in

DCU Applied Languages & Intercutural Studies
    UCD Modern Languages
    or
    TCD TSM

which is best, for language standards, course diversity and options and well just individual factors that make it good!

I am also raring for all 3 open days but I can't wait that long!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Carlow College.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The DCU course looks really good, I remember being really interested in it in 4th year.

You could try asking in the "Does anyone do this course?" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

This should help you make up your mind. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hmm, what an informative video.

Can't say anything for the individual courses, but as far as course diversity and options go, that's the kind of thing that you can find out on college websites. I know UCD does that Horizons yoke, though I dunno if that's just for arts, seems quite confusing, but if it does operate for other courses it's like... I'm not sure, you do random not-related-to-your-course subjects during the year too. Trinity does a similarish thing in 2nd year called "Broad Curriculum", dunno about DCU.

Also, since you're doing a language, I'd look into what your erasmus options in the colleges are - taking 3rd year out to go to a different country and study. Obviously that's not the be all and end all of it, but it'd be something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Hmm, what an informative video.

It was hysterical :D

TCD has the best location and campus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭decdec456

lol that was soo helpful :D

Fad wrote: »
    It was hysterical :D

TCD has the best location and campus.
    Totally unbiased opinion. : p

But yeah UCD is depressing to look at and DCU is far away. Though tbh there are buses going from DCU to town nonstop, presumably the same for UCD. And UCD has the advantage of an expansive campus. There are pros and cons to each university, it just comes down to which one suits you the best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Trinners rhymes with winners.

There.

Totally unbiased opinion: p

And UCD has the advantage of an expansive campus.

Unbiased of course (loved the David Norris impression)

UCD also has a lake filled with tears going for it :P

Fad wrote: »
    Unbiased of course (loved the David Norris impression)

UCD also has a lake filled with tears going for it :P
    David Norris?

And well, I'm biased into not liking UCD by my experiences of its eye-gougingly weird buildings, but I can see the good points too. It's much nicer to cycle around than TCD, DCU nicer again. (I assume, it looks very flat. Though it's small enough that unless you want to get from the canteen to the library and back again in 5 minutes, you can probably walk... Yes, I have spent time in all 3 of these universities for some reason.)

To get back to the OP though, I don't know what the language courses in these universities are like. The fact that the TCD one is TSM brings into play the fact that it's going to be with some other, non-German subject, so it's up to the OP how much of their course they want to be german.
    (I may take a moment now to plug "Computer Science, Linguistics and German", in TCD, if the OP is interested in computing. However the German component is only worth 25%, unfortunately.)

• Advertisement

David Norris?

The Irish senator who happens to be gay (Very PC I are)

He mentions law at the start of the video, well rather whoevers impersonating him.

Advertisement