Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bus from dublin to sligo, later than 19:00?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

bit of an emergency, i need to be in sligo by 8 or 9am saturday morning, but i need to work late in dublin on friday.
    irish rail and bus eireann both have their last service at 7pm, is there any private buses or anything that leaves later? bus eireann have some ridiculous bus that leaves dublin at 4am but doesn't arrive in sligo until after 11am, but thats too late for me...
    any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

There used to be a bus that left the Pro Cathedral at 9 or 9.30pm, not sure who operated it (possible Carews) hopefully somebody here might know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭petek

that would be awesome if its still running.. do you know if theres a phone number or anything for them? i tried googling and the golden pages but couldn't find anything..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

petek wrote: »
    bus eireann have some ridiculous bus that leaves dublin at 4am but doesn't arrive in sligo until after 11am,!!

Cripes! Where does it go.. via Cork?

Cripes! Where does it go.. via Cork?

i can't remember. my guess is the driver probably stops for a few naps along the way.
    i really don't understand this country, on a friday night there should be tons of buses and trains. it makes no sense that the last bus to sligo leaves at 19:00 and the last train leaves at 19:05. what would make sense is if they had a bus that left half an hour or an hour later than the train, so that if you miss the train you can still get the bus (because a lot of people choose the train over the bus, but would take the bus at a push).
    i guess they're both state run, so no ones interested in making sense, just in getting enough tea breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

From what i remember that 4am bus goes to derry or something. mad isnt it.
    Im also enquiring about a bus, but on a sunday night. i heard there used to be one from westmoreland street at 10:30 pm going to sligo.
    anyone know of late buses to sligo any night, in particular sundays.
    OP did you check the flights? i know they go early during the week, may be different at weekends

• Advertisement

yeah, i checked flghts, theres no early ones at the weekends, and the last one today is at 6...
    its looking like i'm gonna be in serious trouble at at least one end now. it wouldn't be so bad if they could at least guarantee there'd be plug sockets on board the train so i could do some work there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

i guess they're both state run, so no ones interested in making sense, just in getting enough tea breaks.

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

yeah, i checked flghts, theres no early ones at the weekends, and the last one today is at 6...
    its looking like i'm gonna be in serious trouble at at least one end now. it wouldn't be so bad if they could at least guarantee there'd be plug sockets on board the train so i could do some work there

the new train has the sockets, give them a ring and see what train it is on at the time you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Its a pain that they dont run later & there should be a late bus but in fairness to them NOBODY in this country is willing to pay the taxes to run servces that will have sod all people on them
    For years people complained about the waste in spending on empty busses etc

WE want everything and yet WE vote for tax breaks and backhanders

btw fair play to them holding out for their rights

& no I dont work for the trains or buses

you might find something here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=274473

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

strongr wrote: »
    the new train has the sockets, give them a ring and see what train it is on at the time you want.

It's a bit late now I'm sure but even the old train had sockets. they were usually hidden but were easy enough found. I.e. on the last row of seats in the carriage behind the seat.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies everyone. took the train in the end, and it was the new one, and yes there was sockets at every seat. why the person handling email queries didn't know that, i have no idea.

to elshambo -
    i'm not trying to advocate anyone losing rights in the work place, but i have a lot of experience of state run services and there seems to be the same apathetic lethargic attitude running through all of them. no one really cares about the customer, or customer service. no one really seems to take any pride in their work, and things take eons to be updated or improved. i'm talking across the board here, from irish rail to the OPW to your local dole office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

thanks for the replies everyone. took the train in the end, and it was the new one, and yes there was sockets at every seat. why the person handling email queries didn't know that, i have no idea.

to elshambo -
    i'm not trying to advocate anyone losing rights in the work place, but i have a lot of experience of state run services and there seems to be the same apathetic lethargic attitude running through all of them. no one really cares about the customer, or customer service. no one really seems to take any pride in their work, and things take eons to be updated or improved. i'm talking across the board here, from irish rail to the OPW to your local dole office.

Ive had plenty of problems with state run services myself:(
    The seemingly petty things they fight for do/did trickle out to the rest of us
    and if they dont ask for grade 10 when looking for grade 5 they get offered a strict grade 2 if you get what i mean? that said the social partnership thing is a joke at this stage.
    Talking to politicians is like talking to a child sometimes

That is one of the problems with the state running services, "job for life"
    the comfortable rut it can cause.
    Of course the other problem with the "job for life", if you achive a certain standard it could be held against you in future so better not to bother(!?) sad but true.

Mix the two with people wanting everything for nothing and aah...

Still the private run "services" aka the banks arnt a great show piece for free economics at the mo:eek:
    I always thought that the banks/insurance industries should be state run
    by the people for the people as the profit always goes to the few and the losses have to fall on the many etc etc
    The whole system private and public needs a big clearout, now only if something could happen to trigger it, err um...:rolleyes:

Anyhu glad you got sorted:)

Advertisement