Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crafting: Cultivating.

• 25-09-2008 5:46pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've got a 70 Cultivator and while far from an expert, I have learned a few things that I thought I'd share (and if you can add any more, please do!)

You can cultivate on the move. Maybe you knew that... I sure didnt for a while!! I had rather presumed that when you planted a seed and were watering it etc... YOU WOULD HAVE TO STAY STATIONARY! Apparently my understanding of plant husbandary is poor. I was jumped while cultiavting one day and I took to the hills, half way to being ganked... ping, +1 to cultivating. Woo, I thought, as I died.

Watering, Feeding and Composting seem to simply reduce the time. I havent read anything about them having any other effect. If you know different, I'd like to hear.

So, cultivating seems like a load of arse since all you get is herbs and plants etc, but if you combine it with Apothecary you can have a nice little factory going. I'm currently churning out heal potions which, while weakish, are at least better then nothing! But I'll write about Apothecary later.

At level 50 you get access to a second patch of land and this makes up for the fact that 50-level mats take 9 FREAKING MINUTES unaided. Even your water and nutrients and soil only reduce it by 1/3rd now instead of 1/2. Still, bring a stack of seeds with you and you can toss one in every now and then on long runs and at the start of scenarios.

Progression: This is a head wrecker. I dont quite understand what they want to achieve with this but its a bit b0rked. I shot to 43 and then stalled, badly. I simply couldnt find level 25 seeds (though I have bags full of 50 level, go figure). Level 1 seeds drop from giving almost a point per usage to giving you a point per stack! The change is very sudden too... so sudden that I thought I must be doing something wrong or that I needed 25+ seeds. While the latter will help, I made it to 50 by grinding out level 1 seeds. It can be done, stick with it.
    From 50, I shot up to 70 because I had 50+ seeds to work with and while they take ages, its back to giving you a point per usage almost. Weird!

I have also noticed that 50+ seeds seem to be returned 90% of the time, in fact I used the same seed for about 20 uses last night, so dont think you need stacks of 50+ seeds, you dont.

I'm sure some one out there has a list of what makes what but its relatively clear from the descriptions too.

So thats my micro guide to Cultivating. Sexy it aint and its slow as fnck compared to Apothecary and much less useful at the moment anyway, but it does provide lovely herbs for healing potions :)

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

DeVore wrote: »
    Watering, Feeding and Composting seem to simply reduce the time. I havent read anything about them having any other effect. If you know different, I'd like to hear.

Afaik there's a chance of it producing double items if you use all of the fertilisy options... It also might yield a rare item

Nice guide, thanks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DeVore wrote: »

As above, using them gives you a chance of multiples (I get plant + seed of plant fairly often if I water etc, handy for L25 seeds that can be awkward to find) or you can get "specials": I've gotten a few "goldweeds" so far I think.

As for seeds, level a scavenger/talisman in tandem with your cultivator/apothecary and you'll can feed ingredients between them. A fair few seeds and potion components drop for scavengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the better the modifiers you use the more chance you have of getting something better.

For example if you use a standard white seed and get a crit success you might get a green seed.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, I suspected it might do something like that but I couldnt find it in the literature.

I've leveled to 70 in both now and again hit the "hell levels" of crafting again :)

I'm making some nice potions for my level but nothing too "wow awesome!" yet. 3/4 of my bank is full of crappy mixtures :)

By the way, I could find NO use for Fizzling Water. I know its a stabilizer, but its no more effective then cloudy water despite its increased level req. It takes just as many in my experience (3 of the Cloudys once you hit 50) and Cloudy can be bought in stacks from the vendor.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is there anyone who teaches crafting skills in the later areas, or do I have to trek back to the starting area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Use the flight master and you'll save yourself a lot of walking. I'm fairly sure there'll be teachers in the City, but I haven't really looked for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

Yep, there are craft trainers in the capital city.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There seem to be craft trainers in the major areas as well as a few of the outlying regions but afaik you only need to visit them the first time you learn your craft because they dont teach anything like patterns etc in WOW. To build the top level stuff what you need is the skill and the materials.

DeV.

Advertisement