Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24Mb in Nangor Road Clondalkin with BT?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 5:49pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

moving to this area shortly and was wondering could someone confirm that they can get 24Mb BB there? Im with BT currently and according to their website the area is served by 24Mb. What kid of speeds are you getting in the area on this service?

Also do you need to upgrade to an ADSL 2 modem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I'm on the nangor road exchange(about a km away), just signed up with bt (24mb package confirmed in advance)... went online yesterday for first time after hassling them to send out modem (order delayed due to some technical problems apparently) Getting 2.5mb/3.5mb down - assuming it'll get ironed out when the eircom engineer sorts the line (phone service dropped dead two days ago) Don't think it's a fair representation of the final service (better not be!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Hi Minikin,

thanks for the response. Ya i would hope it would be a lot better than that alright. Could you keep me informed how it works out once you get it looked at. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

You should have no problem getting good broadband on the Nangor Road, there's an Eircom exchange on it. There's also enough fibre running down the street to power a small country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

ro2 wrote: »
    You should have no problem getting good broadband on the Nangor Road, there's an Eircom exchange on it. There's also enough fibre running down the street to power a small country.

Thats all well and good but theres a lot of issues lately with BT and other resellers after the upgrades so im looking for someone to confirm the speeds they are getting not just go on guess work.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

You should also consider using Magnet. They do 24Mb broadband and haven't suffered from those problems.

• Advertisement

Well i have BT already so i just wanna carry over my line to the new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i'm a stone throws from the Nangor Rd but am on the Newlands Cross exchange :rolleyes: so no 24mb bb. You might be able to get upc 20mb bb in that area if yer not on the Nangor Rd Exchange.

Hi Axwell,
    Eircom chap was out on friday, phone back working but broadband service (such as it was has disappeared)

despite numerous communications with BT I still don't have broadband, they're now saying it must be internal (despite the fact I pointed out that I tried it with three different modems, several phone lines and filters) They are claiming there was never a fault at the exchange (which was their original excuse for the long delay in the first place)

I'm within two days of canceling BT and switching to smart.

Thanks for the update minikin, keep me posted how you get on.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

We're also on Nangor Road but hanging off the Walkinstown exchange. The max we sync at is about 3Mb.

Just because you're on Nangor Road doesn't mean you can easily get 24Mbps.

IrishTLR wrote: »
    We're also on Nangor Road but hanging off the Walkinstown exchange. The max we sync at is about 3Mb.

Just because you're on Nangor Road doesn't mean you can easily get 24Mbps.

Never said id does, im just wondering what speeds people who are on 24meg connections get.

Are you on 3mb or only getting 3mb even though you on a higher package?

Axwell wrote: »
    Never said id does, im just wondering what speeds people who are on 24meg connections get.

Are you on 3mb or only getting 3mb even though you on a higher package?

We are on a 5Mb or 6Mb connection. Actually, to be precise, we are only syncing at about 2.7Mb but I rounded up to be nice :)

Our copper is just too long to use faster speeds.

IrishTLR wrote: »
    I rounded up to be nice :)

Sounds like something an Irish broadband company would say :D

Well if your on a 6mb connection 2.7mb is very poor so you must be pretty far from the exchange or have a bad line.

Im on a supposed 7.2 mmb line here in Lucan at the minute but i get around 5.5mb, id be happy enough if i was able to still even get that, just when i saw 24mb was in the area i wanted to see if anyone was getting anywhere near that.

Well if your on a 6mb connection 2.7mb is very poor so you must be pretty far from the exchange or have a bad line.

As I said, I'm on Nangor Road [Just at the M50 flyover, Riverview Business Park] and connected to the Walkinstown Exchange. So yeah, it's far. The length of copper is probably longer as it's not as the crow flies.

Not much we can do about it unless some nice TelCo is willing to give us a line to a closer exchange.

got a sheepish message on the phone from them admitting that the engineer missed a fault on the line... back on line yesterday.
    Not a great experience all in all - getting between 2mbps and 4.5mbps (it's supposed to be 24mbps) I'd be happy with about 16mbps (some sites are taking 15 secs to open)

Thinking of requesting that they charge me for package 2 (up to 6mbps) instead of package 3... if this is the best they can supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sijdal

hi
    what you need to do is log onto your router (192.168.1.1 typically) from your browser
    and check you broadband line status. Your "Line Rate" is effevtively your max speed that bt has set. I live within a 24M exchange and my line rate was set to 8000 Kbps (approx) by default (im on option 3) which is effectively a 6M connection. I complained they upped it to 16383 Kbps told me they'd monitor it and up it again if there werent any problems. For the line to take 24M, Noise Margin 11dB-20dB, and Line attenuation20dB-40dB will work.
    Hope this helps

Hi Sijdal,

My line rate is 6618kbps, noise margin is 7.3db and the l.a. is 49db.
    I went through two line checks on their website during the ordering process, first said I was on the 24mb exchange and the second said the line was capable of receiving the 24mb service. Seems like a bit of mis-selling is going on here. Will see if they can up the line rate, but I've just gone through about four weeks of getting the run around about the initial installation, so not too hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

minikin wrote: »
    Hi Sijdal,

My line rate is 6618kbps, noise margin is 7.3db and the l.a. is 49db.
    I went through two line checks on their website during the ordering process, first said I was on the 24mb exchange and the second said the line was capable of receiving the 24mb service. Seems like a bit of mis-selling is going on here. Will see if they can up the line rate, but I've just gone through about four weeks of getting the run around about the initial installation, so not too hopeful.

Unless a fault on your line with those line stats you can't get anywhere close to 24 mb.

Remember that when they are selling you the product BT always refers to it as "up to 24 mb".

If after fixing your line it happens that you can't get more than 6 or only slightly more I recommend you dropping down to their Option 2 or up to 6 mb as you have already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sijdal

Noise Margin
    The higher the number the better
    6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
    7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
    11dB-20dB is good with no synch problems
    20dB-28dB is excellent *
    29dB or above is outstanding *

Line Attenuation
    The lower the dB the better.
    20dB and below is outstanding *
    20dB-30dB is excellent
    30dB-40dB is very good
    40dB-50dB is good
    50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues
    60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

According to your contract you are entitled to the best Speed your line can handle
    they are pretty much obliged to up it at your request to 16383Kbps and if its unstable at that your can request a downgrade to what you have now
    be persistant quote your line stats to them explain their legal obligation if necessary
    might only need one more tech support call

Be prepared for the possibility that you could have the best your line can handle though
    but maybe not ..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

With those line details that's the best he can get. On ADSL2+ noise margin is not so important. Each profile will have a target noise margin. That can be any number between 0 and ~>18 db, depending on the way they have it set up on the NMS.

On ADSL2+ a target noise margin of 6 or 7 is more than enough for most lines.

So what he has to be looking at is the attenuation.

At this moment 6.6 mb is the maximum your line can take. As said, unless there is a fault on your line (as is ADLS2+ BT can see that by running a test) the chances are that you will remain on that speed.

Dont show BT your line stats as they only confirm what they already know and there is nothing on those line stats that can convince them you can get higher speeds.

would they have been able to get these stats from their end prior to the service going live? How is the end user supposed to know if they can actually get the service they've been offered prior to it going live? Seems like a bit of a swizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

would they have been able to get these stats from their end prior to the service going live? How is the end user supposed to know if they can actually get the service they've been offered prior to it going live? Seems like a bit of a swizz.

No, just a very basic test using an Eircom tool. But is just an estimation and never will give back speeds higher than 12 mb. That's why they use the word "up to" ...

That test can be run by ringing sales or Tech Support and although its meant for adsl1 you can get an idea of how good your line is.

The problem is that the order was placed on line, so the test they run only checked if your line was broadband capable and if you were on one of their adsl2+ exchanges.

the saga continues... service is still crap (was hovering around 300kbps on sunday... that's sub-512kbps!!!

to add to this they've managed to balls up the first bill too, had to pay a €125 prepayment a few weeks ago... so by my reckoning I should be in credit (€56x2months=€112, plus about €2 of phone calls) They are claiming my first bill is €195... have charged me for modem (free with this package) and eircom handset rental (advised them in advance that we haven't had it for years) and seem to be charging a lot more than the €56 per month advertised). So apparently I owe them €70 :)

DO NOT USE BT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RRoger

Hi Folks,

moving to this area shortly and was wondering could someone confirm that they can get 24Mb BB there? Im with BT currently and according to their website the area is served by 24Mb. What kid of speeds are you getting in the area on this service?

Also do you need to upgrade to an ADSL 2 modem?
    be careful with the "assurances" given you either via website or the sales reps
    I got 24Mbit myself recently and prior to that I made few phonecalls to BT to ensure what really I will get from that. The website said it's 24, the sales lads said they've done tests on my line and "the signal is veeeery strong, you sir will get 90-95% of 24Mbit no problem!"

well yeah....I got it then and hey...barely getting 4Mbit, peak time it's below 2Mbit. Rang them wats the story, been transferred to techie guys and been told my line physically can only accept up to 12Mbit and advised not to listen to what the sales guys say as they're on commisions and they tell people lies only to make their numbers

got a bit upset but hey what can you do...so I'm capable of receiving 12 but because of contention ration 24:1 (they don't tell you this unless you ask) it can be, and it most likely will be shared by this much of other people, so you only get bits

I'd say if you already have a phone line call BT and ask if you can talk to someone in their tech support, then ask them to run test on your line, they will tell you no bs

RRoger wrote: »
    got a bit upset but hey what can you do...so I'm capable of receiving 12 but because of contention ration 24:1 (they don't tell you this unless you ask) it can be, and it most likely will be shared by this much of other people, so you only get bits

I hope you werent told that by anyone on Tech Support.

If your line is capable on 12 mb but you are getting 4 mb then the problem is somewhere else.

When you say 4 mb do you mean that the router is synching at 4 mb?

If its synching at 4 mb then the problem is most likely internal.

minikin they can do the same with your line. Are you sure your line can't take more? did you follow all the basic troubleshooting steps like connecting from the main socket, removing all phones, alarm, sky???

Hi Praetor,

I haven't phoned the tech support about this yet, just after going through seven weeks of crap just to get the thing installed in the first place... there is an alarm dialler using the line too but I made inquiries about getting a filter for it... had the alarm technician out, said they'd never had trouble with broadband and that dialler so he didn't fit a filter, don't have sky. Only one phone handset and it's filtered.

Would there be a point in checking the sync without the alarm connected to the line given that it has to be there anyway.

Regarding it being an internal problem, have tried it with three different modems (2110 & a new belkin wireless one and an adsl2 wired)

Seems like a straighforward case of mis-selling
    (I note there's a charge to downgrade... buncha hoorz)

Hi Praetor,

I haven't phoned the tech support about this yet, just after going through seven weeks of crap just to get the thing installed in the first place... there is an alarm dialler using the line too but I made inquiries about getting a filter for it... had the alarm technician out, said they'd never had trouble with broadband and that dialler so he didn't fit a filter, don't have sky. Only one phone handset and it's filtered.

Would there be a point in checking the sync without the alarm connected to the line given that it has to be there anyway.

Regarding it being an internal problem, have tried it with three different modems (2110 & a new belkin wireless one and an adsl2 wired)

Seems like a straighforward case of mis-selling
    (I note there's a charge to downgrade... buncha hoorz)

Well if the alarm guy says that his alarm type doesnt need a filter we must believe him, he should know. But if his alarm is connected to the phone it most likely needs a filter (unless you have a adsl faceplate)

anyway the best test is to, as you have said, disconnect the alarm and try... ask their Tech Support to test the line without the alarm connected and see what they have to say...

What they should do is run a test with everything disconnected to make sure there is no foreigner voltage on the line or poor resistance (that will involve disconnecting the alarm too) and then, connect all equipment one by one until they see a fault (if any)

It is worth trying... and also, BT shouldnt charge you for the downgrade as you are force to downgrade because your line cant take more...

Good luck!

Advertisement