Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army called in to deal with home made bomb

• 25-09-2008 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

An army bomb disposal team was called in to make safe a homemade bomb placed outside a house in Waterford overnight.

The improvised explosive device (IED), which the army said was "viable", was found outside a house at Birchwood estate.

The team arrived on scene at 4.30am, after the Gardaí requested they attend the scene.

The all-clear was given at 6.15am and the remains of the IED were handed over to gardaí.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhqlsnauojau/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Update.

A man has been arrested following the discovery of a suspect device at a house in Waterford city in the early hours of this morning.

The man, who is in his 50s, was arrested following a planned search at a house in the Birchwood estate at around 12.30am.

The device was found in the back garden of the house and gardaí called in the Army bomb disposal unit .

The unit carried out a controlled explosion and the all clear was given at 6.15am.

Gardaí are maintaining a presence on the estate and two houses have been cordoned off.

The man is being held at Waterford Garda Station.

Gardaí are investigating if this incident is connected to the ongoing feud involving a number of Travelling community families in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

feud/Traveller

were the key words that came to mind after reading the headline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hi ho, people are going to be jumping at the sound of a firecracker soon.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

The Army Bomb Squad and Gardai were in a field on the new road yesterday where the old De la salle soccer pitch use to be. anyone else notcie this or hear anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Homemade pipe bome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Homemade pipe bome.

Really, more info please?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Really, more info please?

I thought it was the radio I heard it on. I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

south wrote: »
    The Army Bomb Squad and Gardai were in a field on the new road yesterday where the old De la salle soccer pitch use to be. anyone else notcie this or hear anything about it?

They were in the Woodlands Hotel on Saturday night. Found a pipe bomb apparently. Not sure what happened but no one was injured and nothing went off. I believe it was real and could have went off.

*sorry for going off topic, maybe the mods could make a new thread about all the pipe bombs, there's been a few in the last week, surprised they haven't been mentioned...*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Right iv moved the posts about another pipe bomb into this thread (the slightly older one on the first one found).. would be great if we had sources, as the new ones have not hit national news yet. :)

Topic Split & Merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

magick wrote: »
    feud/Traveller

were the key words that came to mind after reading the headline.
    Really? The second I saw the words "home made", I knew it wasn't anything to do with the feud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »
    Really? The second I saw the words "home made", I knew it wasn't anything to do with the feud.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Sully wrote: »
    Why?

I'm assuming he's refering to the idea that travellers dont have a 'home' and therefore could not produce something that was 'home-made'. Just a guess now.

sonners wrote: »
    I'm assuming he's refering to the idea that travellers dont have a 'home' and therefore could not produce something that was 'home-made'. Just a guess now.

So where do Travellers live? Nowhere? :p But the home-made reference, I think, means the bomb was not professionally made.

The person arrested in the first bomb was living in an estate, but that doesn't mean it wasn't connected. Why? A lot of the problems have been in certain estates, and not in the halting sites. The fact it was even mentioned in the article would suggest it probably was. (At least, thats my understanding!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I'm assuming he's refering to the idea that travellers dont have a 'home'

the ones a couple of doors down from me certainly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

I have some a few doors down from me too Mossy Monk, thats why I said it was an IDEA. Travellers by their very nature are just that - TRAVELLERS. I thought that the poster who referred to the Home-made part was taking the p*ss by playing on this. Sully, I'm am well aware that some of them live in estates and are casuing trouble there, jesus look at my previous posts.

Hell, I was only bloody guessing at what he ment by home-made, I dont even know!

I have some a few doors down from me too Mossy Monk, thats why I said it was an IDEA. Travellers by their very nature are just that - TRAVELLERS. I thought that the poster who referred to the Home-made part was taking the p*ss by playing on this. Sully, I'm am well aware that some of them live in estates and are casuing trouble there, jesus look at my previous posts.

Hell, I was only bloody guessing at what he ment by home-made, I dont even know!

Fair point :)

Hoax bomb at Woodlands Hotel
    Friday, October 3rd, 2008

A party of about 250 people was amongst those evacuated from the Woodlands Hotel on the Dunmore Road on Saturday night over what gardai now believe was an ‘elaborate’ hoax.

Members of the army’s bomb disposal unit were deployed to the city from Cork for the second time in less than a week, after what was initially feared to be a bomb was sighted on the grounds of the hotel.

Gardai alerted to the scene evacuated part of the hotel as a precautionary measure just before 5pm, following the discovery of a device that looked like a wired bomb in a ditch close to the back door of the hotel.

The hotel’s kitchen, ballroom and a number of bedrooms were evacuated for the next five hours, as the bomb squad carried out a controlled explosion on the ‘suspect device’. The hotel was given the all clear to reopen in its entirety shortly after 10pm, by which time the function group had been accommodated in the bar, with food brought in from the Ramada Hotel.

Meanwhile the local man and woman arrested in connection with the discovery of a bomb in a back garden at the Birchwood estate last Thursday night have been released without charge.

The 50 year-old man and woman, believed to be some years younger, were released on Friday evening, pending a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Eight houses were evacuated after a suspect device was discovered around 12.30am, following a search of the house on Birch Drive. It is
    understood children had been sleeping in the house when the device was found. The army bomb disposal unit carried out a controlled explosion of the device at a nearby section of road at around 6am on Friday.
    Source: The Munster Express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Any info on whether it was related to the traveller feud or something else?

Advertisement