Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fight the Loudness War

• 25-09-2008 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

The sound issues with Metallica's Death Magnetic (as with RHCP's Californication) have a sparked a bit of an uprising. This time round things are more organised. With even the mastering engineer distancing himself from the record. Very interesting and worth a look even though the site is just in its early stages.

www.musicquality.org

Power to the fans.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's not in its early stages at all, over-enthusiastic mastering has been the enemy of the music listener for some years now. Meh, when most people are going to listen to it on a lossy bit rate mp3 on **** hardware, it's not that much of a hot potato. The time to fight for audio quality has passed, the mp3 has won.

What we want is a Quality Vs Quantity war. Who wants 72 minutes of music on a CD when 35+ minutes of it is **** and the effort put in to comitting that **** to the ages saps time and money from the good material, making them worse. Let's get albums back to 8 quality songs and short enough to fit on one side of a C90 tape!

Of course, the biz ain't gonna do anything to appease a generation of people who don't want to pay for music in the first place.

In summation: Support your local bands before they're all gone :pac:

Power to the musicians!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

Sorry you misunderstood....the site is in its early stages.

And I'm not here to debate whether I'm right or wrong. I have beliefs as do others http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/re-mix-or-remaster-death-magnetic.html and we're acting on it. Flame away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not this again! (See music production board!)

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The clipping isnt bad once your on a train trust me :pac:

Sorry you misunderstood....the site is in its early stages.

And I'm not here to debate whether I'm right or wrong. I have beliefs as do others http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/re-mix-or-remaster-death-magnetic.html and we're acting on it. Flame away.

Who's flaming?

When has an internet petition achieved anything?

How is an internet petition acting on anything, nobody relevant cares about them?

They've been getting ****e for 20 years over the mix of AJFA, has it been remixed? No.

Did they back-pedal over the sound of the unquestionably mediocre stanger? No.

The only way that album will be remixed and remastered is when the band, management and label realise that they might have to eat a bit of humble pie in order to get people to buy the album again. An internet petition won't do it, the promise of cold, hard cash will. If they're playing smart they'll adopt the Roadrunner tactic of waiting six months or so, then releasing the new version with a bonus dvd or some added tat to appease the masses and get them to buy it all again. If you're actually wanting to do something try organising people into writing letters, real physical letters, to the band and management. Internet petitions get ignored and abused, but a volume of actual mail arriving on their doorstep every day might make them take notice. I doubt it though.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the OMG!!!METALLICA!!! crew I'll add that I don't believe a new mix job will make those songs into good songs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

+1 J, not only would you have to re mix and re master the album, you'd have to edit a few of the songs too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

this is still rumbling on. 12,000 signatures isn't particularly impressive or going to frighten bands/labels into an about turn:rolleyes:

http://mikemelancholic.blogspot.com/2008/09/metallicas-death-magnetic-being-sent.html

If those 12,000 people had the balls to return thier CD's and demand a clip-free version or their money back you might get somewhere, but as usual it's all mouth and no trousers, as the saying goes. An internet petition is a waste of electricity and disc space.

Advertisement