Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera on Templeogue road

Options
  • 25-09-2008 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Just got a letter in the post for speeding on templeogue road, 67k in a 50k zone. (Its between the junction of old bridge road and spawell) which btw is a total speed trap because that section of road is practically a dual carriageway. Anyway there was a little picture of my licence plate on the letter.

My question is could this be from a speed camera or a guard with a gun?. I take this road every day to work and since this was a month ago and just got the letter now im worried I might get a few more letters and effectively be put off the road...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Speed camera in a van operated by a Garda.

If you travel that road frequently you should know its policed very heavilly with regard to speed.

Doesnt matter what type of road it is the gardai can only enforce whatever the speed limit is.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Im always careful on this road so I'm really annoyed that I went over the limit. Ya your right the guards are often there, easy pickins for them. Can't imagine its a dangerous road.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Arathorn wrote: »
    Can't imagine its a dangerous road.

You should really imagine more so. Cheeverstown is in the middle of that stretch and the pedestrian crossing in front of it is in very frequent use by children from the estate beside the crossing as well as patients?(not sure if cheeverstown is actually a hospital or kind of day activity centre for the mentally handicapped).

The speed limits are lower for some reasons like below. It's not just for a laugh. Further up the Tllaght by pass the limit is raise to 80kmph where the road is safer.

This is like the people who give out about the speed limits and checks on the naas road between the red cow and kylemore which have been the scene of their fair share of injuries and fatalities over the years with people speeding through red lights at pedestrian crossings. They are fairly high volume roads that have a lot of entrances to factories etc along them as well as plenty of junctions, which is why speed limits are lower than on open stretches of dual carriageway.

I still think 50k is too low for this road, and in my opinion the guards are always there not because its a really dangerous stretch of road, but because they know its easy to catch people out. Also futher out that road going towards blessington speed limit is 100 even though there are really dangerous bends. Never see any guards around there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I still think 50k is too low for this road, and in my opinion the guards are always there not because its a really dangerous stretch of road, but because they know its easy to catch people out.

You know the road, you know the Gards are always there and you presumably know the limit seeing as its well signposted yet you give out about being caught?

The road is in a prime spot and with pretty much textbook reasons for having a lower speed limit.

If the road had a school ( there is one buried in the estate opposite Cheeverstown) on it would you agree with a lower speed limit? At the end of the day thats pretty much what Cheeverstown is.

The road also has 2 lanes that separate into right, left and straight lanes that has people switching lanes while slowing to the lights and straight through is a built up village (for those who dont know it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There are two care centres on this stretch of road - Cheeverstown and St. Michaels House - with a pedestrian crossing between them. There are also memorials to those that were killed on the stretch of road at the pedestrian crossing - shortly after the 50km/h zone. The pedestrian crossing is just over the brow of a hill so approaching at a cautious speed contributes to safety. However, it is a difficult section to maintain 50km/h especially as it is downhill but the limit is there for a good reason. The 50km/h zone is approximately 300m long - hardly likely to cost much from a time point of view.

It's a well known spot for speed traps. I regularly see Gardaí hiding behind the direction sign just outside the ESB substation close to the Bridge Road/Cypress Grove Road junction.

Fair enough guys I take your points. I was just annoyed yesterday when I got home to find my love letter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fair enough guys I take your points. I was just annoyed yesterday when I got home to find my love letter!!
    Most dual carriageway speed checks I have a problem with, this one I don't for the reasons outlined above. There have been a number of serious accidents and a few deaths on that stretch over the years.

In general they tend to catch traffic travelling inbound (as these are the guys speeding down the hill), but occassionally they'll do the outbound lanes too.

Advertisement