Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why won't men go to the doctor?

2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I lost a lot of trust in doctors and professionals in general when I went to Uni and saw how the doctors of the future act when they are supposed to be studying. (ie the same way I acted). Perhaps I had higher expectations than I should've to begin with, but I dunno just really struck me that they aren't as smart or as learned as they make out and some people believe.
    I know what you mean. Working with doctors everyday, I am dealing with them all the time face to face and on the phone and sometimes I really have to wonder about a few of them. I think they get so involved in 'the body' that the cant manage to learn how to deal with all other aspects of life. Some of them need to be taken by the hand and thought how to deal with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Why do we do it? Why are we not as health aware as the ladies? Is it fear? Is it a macho thing? Is it an inability to deal with the fact that there might be something wrong? What is it?
    Ah, sure, it might clear up on it's own :pac:

What if it's something serious? Or worse, not serious at all and you look like a lula for even worrying?

It's grand, everyones left testicle tips off their ankle in the shower, nothing to worry about at all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DefenseSoapEire

You should feel good that the doctor has told you that there's nothing wrong with you... but you don't... you feel cheated and ripped off that you just spent €50 for nothing.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I always go the doctor if there's anything at all amiss with me. I have a medical card so that makes things much easier financially.
    I don't get the whole "stubornness" thing. If you're sick, you're sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Q; What do you call the guy who finishes bottom of class in medical school?

A; Doctor.

I go when I have to, it's kind of like a no-brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not sure why I dont like going...

Had Pneumonia for a month over december/start of january when I was 18 didnt go to the doc. I was always of the attitude that my body will heal itself.

Ended up feeling like a disembodied spirit walking around i.e. I would take a step but it would take a few seconds for my vision to catch up.

Ended up going to the GP, 5 mins later there was an ambulance there to pick me up 2 weeks later got discharged I had the senior registrar bring me into a room and tell me not be such a d*ckhead again as another few days I would have been in serious danger of dying.

A couple of years later, got a bad case of conjuctivitis so went to the GP and got osme eye drops. Got better for a few days then go even worse. Got strongers drops. No effect. Went to eye and ear hospital. Got same drops as first time (despite me telling them I already had them) Came back 3 days later as I had pretty much scoure my eyes in the morning to get the solidified goo off them. went back got some tablets and some drops was fine about a week later.

I've broke quite a few fingers from football. usually I'd just strap them up and a few weeks later be fine. This one time the new GF on the scene nagged me til I went to casualty.... felt like such a plonker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

An interesting article about this topic and a survey carried out on over 1000 men would seem to agree with much of the sentiments expressed here. From the article:
    Many men are raised to act stoic, tough, and independent—to stay in control and hide their vulnerability. Consequently, they come to view themselves as immune to disease. Men also may fear that others will interpret their nonemergency doctor’s visits as unmanly or weak, especially if the men around them also avoid preventive medical care.

But in this day and age, isn't that really quite an archaic way to be looking at these things? I wonder is there a difference between the older generation boardsie's and the newer generation where men's health is concerned? I'd hazard a guess that there is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ChewChew wrote: »
    I know what you mean. Working with doctors everyday, I am dealing with them all the time face to face and on the phone and sometimes I really have to wonder about a few of them. I think they get so involved in 'the body' that the cant manage to learn how to deal with all other aspects of life. Some of them need to be taken by the hand and thought how to deal with people.

Well there's that too, but I was actually thinking more along the lines of what Smashey said. I mean I just think of the blanks in my education caused by missing a lecture or half a module at times and transfer that to a situation where people are depending on me to know something cause its a medical issue....and I have to wonder how much they really know, or did they just knuckle down to study in final year and haven't touched a textbook since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Basically because finding out you are sick can be a big and scary thing.

So being foolish we prefer to live with the "if i don't know i don't care" type attitude. It's stupid. I did the same myself when it was painfully obvious that something was up.

And I was happy enough to fool myself into thinking that because i got my regular check ups i was fine. Well the body sends us messages when it's getting ill and check ups sadly can't spot everything.

If your worried about something, go to the goddamn doctor.

Advertisement