Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

quick nct question

Options
  • 25-09-2008 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

I have the nct tomorrow nite and have noticed one of the parking lights in the front is blown . Is this a failure ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Barr wrote: »
    I have the nct tomorrow nite and have noticed one of the parking lights in the front is blown . Is this a failure ?
    Yep .. page 38 of the NCT testers manual (available on the NCT website IIRC). Should be easy to replace though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Would it just be a fail visual if I cant it done , I dont think they test the parking lights for focusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Barr wrote: »
    Would it just be a fail visual if I cant it done , I dont think they test the parking lights for focusing.

Would it not be easier just to replace it? You should be changing bulbs as the blow anyway. I would have thought changing a bulb you know is gone before the test would be less hassle than going back to the test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

You should drop into Halfords (if you're near one). They will even fit it for you (for a small fee).

It would cost you a lot less than a visual retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

ksimpson wrote: »
    You should drop into Halfords (if you're near one). They will even fit it for you (for a small fee).

It would cost you a lot less than a visual retest.

Visual is free , just am busy at work tomorrow and if they wont need to use equipment for the paking lights ? i can get away with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If one of your rear lights was blown would you think you can get away with it? Since they don't have a beam either?

Blown bulb = fail. Simple.

And unless you're really really busy then surely you can find the 10 mins it would take to pop into a motor factors (or even a petrol station) and replace the bulb yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Just had mine tonight in Little Island, Cork. I failed for a visual fault. A slightly wobbly headlight! (Apparently there was some minor damage - I hadn't even noticed myself it was that minor, I noticed nothing awry when driving at night) And I have to get it retested (for €27.50) within a month! :mad:

Don't make the mistake I did. If you can get it sorted tomorrow at all, the money's better off in your pocket than theirs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Just had mine tonight in Little Island, Cork. I failed for a visual fault. A slightly wobbly headlight! (Apparently there was some minor damage - I hadn't even noticed myself it was that minor, I noticed nothing awry when driving at night) And I have to get it retested (for €27.50) within a month! :mad:

Don't make the mistake I did. If you can get it sorted tomorrow at all, the money's better off in your pocket than theirs!

It's not a "visual" fail if you have to pay 27.50 Euro for the retest. A visual fail is a fail that can be passed for the retest visually, meaning no equipment is involved in the re-test. In your case, your headlamp is misaligned due to the fact that it is insecure so you get hit for the 27.50 Euro re-test fee...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Figured that they would need their equipment to retest the alignment. Pain in the h0le though - everything else was perfect! I suppose they have to fail a certain percentage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Figured that they would need their equipment to retest the alignment. Pain in the h0le though - everything else was perfect! I suppose they have to fail a certain percentage?

Eh NO! They have to fail the ones that don't deserve to pass!! That statement is complete BS!!

Sour grapes much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

if you didn't have a defective headlamp you would have passed....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I suppose they have to fail a certain percentage?
    Its the NCT mate, not the Irish driving test ;):D

Advertisement