Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW takes the piss with its first "green" model

Options
  • 25-09-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Yeah, the company's first production hybrid, what will presumably be called the 750h, will boast a 4.4 V8 petrol as the main source of propulsion :D!

Who said the Germans don't have a sense of humour?

It turnsd out that after all the promo stuff that BMW, GM and Damiler Chrysler were blabbering on about how their hybrids would deliver real mpg savings compared to the Toyota/Lexus system over a conventional engine is just a load of baloney, as the new ActiveHybrid manages to be the grand total of just 15% more economical than the regular 750i on which it is based, which is because as I've said before EfficientDynamics does most of what a hybrid does for mpg minus the complexity and the cost.

Still, because it's a hybrid, you can go and boast to your neighbours that you own a really "green":rolleyes: car. Then again the LS600h is green because it's a hybrid, so nothing stopping 750h owners claiming the same thing.

Just don't tell them that the 740i is as green but has no hybrid technology and the 730d does nearly 40 mpg to this car's proposed 28 mpg:rolleyes:.

All that said if it helps them to sell more V8s and larger engines rather than the uninteresting 4 cylinder stuff, then I hope it does ok for them.

http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=235115

Oh and Merc has the S400 BlueHybrid coming, it manages to be slower than the S350 on which its based(how can a slower car now be called a "4.0" model instead of a 3.5 is beyond me but anyway), not to mention only 2 g/km better on CO2 than the 730d, with none of that complicated hybrid technology. Still, it does have the lowest CO2 emissions of any luxury saloon, at 190 g/km to give it its due, and of course it will be far cleaner than any diesel in terms of our health and air quality.

Not that we need worry, because Merc aren't going to be making this car in RHD until 2010 at the earliest.

Advertisement