Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

do you have to be stupid to work in Halfords.

Options
  • 25-09-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

Went to get a commercial roof rack for my Hiace this morning.

went to the little book.

A nice girl helped me.

It like a lego kit. You choose what part suits and pick and mix.

Did not have the part I needed.

I was sent from naas to liffy valley where I was told I needed a different foot part. Back to Naas.

got the bit.

spent a couple of hours fitting it.

3 bars . front one was lower due to the slope on my roof.

No good.

back again to be told by a spotty teenager that I needed a leveling kit.

great. went home again.

did not fit the hiace kit.

back again.

lad up there did not know how to sort it. "come back when customer services are open"

Clowns. the lot of them.

I have 10 sheets of 19mm ply sitting on top of there bad job roof bars and they are all going to be warped in the morning for work.

Day gone due to a bunch of kids not knowing what they are at:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

To be fair they know their neon sticky flashy things pretty well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What did you expect good buddy?
    Its HALFORDS!
    Now if you fancy a neon ciggie lighter, or any one of a range of ipod accessories for your car, or some overpriced after market alloys you go there.
    Actually how are they so popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

lol... yehh...

Worst is when you ask a question about a product after clearly inspecting it yourself, and their answer is to pick up the product and look at the back themselves. I always get that sinking feeling...

If it's any consolation, at a stand many years ago, I was told by a little sales girl that a Soda-Streamer works by pumping Carbon Monoxide into the liquid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

She musta got the soda stream yoke mixed up with Galway county council or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Clowns they may be, but you're the one turning up for work with a job lot of warped timber. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A cutting blow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

OP is right they are a bunch stupid edjits, they haven't a clue.
    Even changing bulbs the amount of people who come to garage I work and say they went to halfords and they didn't know how to do it.
    I got some parts to service my fathers golf, they didn't have an oil filter or plugs in stock. The airfliter was slighty larger and if anyone knows the filter of a 1.4 16v golf, the piece of rubber at the end wasen't there so I had to cut it of the old one, also the pollen filter didn't have a direction marked on it:mad:
    Just buy OEM parts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I was in their once and their was a crappy song on their "stereo Section" Turned the radio off and 5 minutes later 3 of them were there trying to turn it back on.

They really dont have a clue. Most of them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Come on guys, surely everyone knows that if you need parts for your car you go to a motor factors, not Halfords?

If you are appearing on "Pimp my Ride" you go to Halfords... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

bazz26 wrote: »
    Come on guys, surely everyone knows that if you need parts for your car you go to a motor factors, not Halfords?

Exactly ...Halfords is like a supermarket ...pick it, pay for it ...but don't ask any questions. (and don't blame the underpayed employees either)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Halfords is the Mc Donald's of auto stores what do you expect. :rolleyes:

And you a chippy? Do you get your power tools in Aldi. :pac::pac:

peasant wrote: »
    Exactly ...Halfords is like a supermarket ...pick it, pay for it ...but don't ask any questions. (and don't blame the underpayed employees either)

Underpayed?

Well, the local Halfords seems to be staffed by kids only ...I reckon they pay them peanuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Well, the local Halfords seems to be staffed by kids only ...I reckon they pay them peanuts
    I don't think they can get below 8.65 which is the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont know what people are expecting. It's a shop that happens to sell car parts. The same people could just as easily have been serving you in Tesco, they are not there because of their vast automotive knowledge (sure they let girls work there ffs :D
    joke, relax people----) . This just happened to be the one that hired them first. If you want in dept knowledge of stuff go to a proper garage or decent motor factors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Big outlets often only pay minimum wages

pay nuts get monkeys

Also the stuff isnt cheap

I aways can find anything in HALFORDS SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR A LOT LESS
    often half the price and that in Dublin outlets without to go to northern Ireland

So far never bought anything there but love browsing the gaff on a wet sunday

I offered them a deal to match the oppositions prices but they never take it as nobody has the power to decide to cut a deal

Crap place

crap prices

And with the serious down turn I expect any time soon a fire sale before they go belly up

Must drop in this weekend in case its this week they go kapow

Derry

I don't think they can get below 8.65 which is the minimum wage.

Never said they did ...but 8.65 (or whatever they pay) just doesn't buy you a salesperson with encyclopedic knowledge of car parts, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

bazz26 wrote: »

If you are appearing on "Pimp my Ride" you go to Halfords... :pac:

+1 dead on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

the thing is that I needed the rack ASAP and the motorfactor in maynooth that I use needed to order it. Toyota was 700 euro.

Halfords was 300. and in fairness to the product. it is very strong and sturdy.

But the staff should really know there job and there product. Regardless of there pay.
    The rack seems sound. I just seem to have all the wrong bits,along with an empty diesel tanks trying to sort it.

If I asked for a bigmac and got a chicken burger I would have words to the manager in Mc Ds.:p

gsxr1 wrote: »
    If I asked for a bigmac and got a chicken burger I would have words to the manager in Mc Ds.:p

So why not have words with the Halfords manager ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Its McWords with the McManager.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The genuine Toyota ones are the ones to go for, they lock.

alternatively go to Towing Equipment and they'll do you a full Rhino rack or a modular rack like the one below
    normal_R545_Modular_Roof_Rack_Twin_Door_2_0_metres_x_1_3_metres.jpg

The full racks have a roller on the back, which makes loading up lengths of timber and sheets of ply much easier, and because it's a full rack as opposed to 3 bars, it's much easier to tie stuff down. don't expect much change out of €800 though. but it is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

I worked there for a period (I'm a student :P) Was on 8.72 an hour. Alright like but they **** you had to deal with sometimes was crazy. I was the satnav expert, and stuck to them cos i didnt have a clue about some of the other things like wiring car stereos n that.

Was a good experience, learned alot, but am so glad I left!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

In fairness the staff always seem to be having great craic with each other when I've been in there. Never anyone available no matter how quiet the shops are. Blanch is particularly useless. Dixons is about the only store where you will get less accurate product information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The genuine Toyota ones are the ones to go for, they lock.

alternatively go to Towing Equipment and they'll do you a full Rhino rack or a modular rack like the one below
    normal_R545_Modular_Roof_Rack_Twin_Door_2_0_metres_x_1_3_metres.jpg

The full racks have a roller on the back, which makes loading up lengths of timber and sheets of ply much easier, and because it's a full rack as opposed to 3 bars, it's much easier to tie stuff down. don't expect much change out of €800 though. but it is the best option.

that is some rack ya have there:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Halfords is a Warehouse

Going in and expecting the staff to know what will fit on your van is akin to going into Aldi and asking if the pc their selling and asking what speed the memory is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

My da bought a DAB car radio in Halfords. Went off, found he needed a DAB arial, went back to Halfords and the guy hadnt a clue about DAB ariels and asked him were he got a DAB car radio !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

I once went into Halfords to get a roof rack for my Triumph 1300.

There was some laminated info on the stand which stated which racks were suitable for which cars. Obviously no Triumphs were listed.

I picked up 2 racks which were suitable for cars with gutters on the roof and went to the counter to ask for prices (as they were missing from the display stand)

Here's roughly the conversation between me ant the Halfords guy

Me: What price are these?
    HG: I will check the computer to see if they're suitable for your car
    Me: Eh ok
    HG: What car is it?
    Me: Triumph 1300, It's the same as a Toledo or Dolomite if they're listed
    HG: Sorry no Triumphs listed. Who owns Triumph? It might be listed as that
    Me: BMW owns Triumph but the computer will have it as either Rover, BMC or British Leyland if it's there at all. I just want the price
    HG: Sorry can't find it
    Me: What's the price, I don't care about the computer.
    HG: Is it a motorbike?
    Me: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I once went into Halfords to get a roof rack for my Triumph 1300.

There was some laminated info on the stand which stated which racks were suitable for which cars. Obviously no Triumphs were listed.

I picked up 2 racks which were suitable for cars with gutters on the roof and went to the counter to ask for prices (as they were missing from the display stand)

Here's roughly the conversation between me ant the Halfords guy

Me: What price are these?
    HG: I will check the computer to see if they're suitable for your car
    Me: Eh ok
    HG: What car is it?
    Me: Triumph 1300, It's the same as a Toledo or Dolomite if they're listed
    HG: Sorry no Triumphs listed. Who owns Triumph? It might be listed as that
    Me: BMW owns Triumph but the computer will have it as either Rover, BMC or British Leyland if it's there at all. I just want the price
    HG: Sorry can't find it
    Me: What's the price, I don't care about the computer.
    HG: Is it a motorbike?
    Me: :(

Yeah, buying a roof rack for a motorbike. LOL

You should have asked him did they stock sunroofs for you motorbike too.

Advertisement