Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4850 with Athlon 64 X2 4400+

Options
  • 25-09-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

i just got a 4850 in peats, i was gonna get a new mobo and cpu for my other rig but fro the moment im gonna use it on my current system, which isnt amazing.

power supply is fine: 600W OCZ stealthxstream

but the mobo is a cheapish MSI, probably 50 euro
    and the cpu is AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    with 2x 1GB 800Mhz DDR2

just wondering how much the card will be held back by this.

At some point im gonna get a new cpu (such as e7200) and a decent board. Just not arsed at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Just playing crysis warhead online and seems to be performing worse than my x1950 pro was on the same system :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Strange that,

But crysis is tuned to work better on Nvidia cards then ATI.

I have 2 of these cards but yet to run a game on both. Just built the system this week and will finish it off and get it working over the weekend. But what i can say from running 1 4850 is that its good. I used to have a x1950XT before this card, and this card is so much better.

Make sure you are running the 8.9 Ati drivers. Its much more powerfull then your old card so it should not be worse.

As for bottle neck, maybe it will be but its a good upgrade choice i think. And replacing the video card then doing the CPU & mobo i think was the better option if you wanted better results in games.

I tried a few different gfx drivers, but no change. Im wondering if its the crapness of the motherboard. If i dont sort it out soon im just gonna get the new cpu and mobo. Really want to play games right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I know this may sound stupid, but make sure you have the power cable plugged into the graphics card.

yeah it wont even let me turn on the computer without it plugged in heh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Board +ram + cpu are bottlenecking your card.
    Suggest getting the board+cpu upgraded when you can.

Another thing is Crysis is horribly optimised even the new on Warhead.
    Make sure you have motion blur turned off...switching this along will cost you along 10-20fps.

yeah im playing crysis wars online, and even at 800x600 and best performance settings its still only about 25ish fps outdoors, im pretty sure my x1950 pro was doing better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I think their must be a setting wrong some were. The old card can not be better then the one you just bought.

I would reinstall drivers. Put screen res up to 1680*1050 and see how it goes. I bet your old video card would not be able to get more FPS at that res.

Advertisement