Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours - Is it the right place?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Hey Hey,

Like most boardsies I love AH, but sometimes I am looking to discuss topics that I know if I put in AH it will incur the wrong discussion.

Is Humanties the place to go for a more mature discussion or politics?

Anyone?

Will
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mr. X wrote: »
    Hey Hey,

Like most boardsies I love AH, but sometimes I am looking to discuss topics that I know if I put in AH it will incur the wrong discussion.

Is Humanties the place to go for a more mature discussion or politics?

Anyone?

Will

Yes, they tend to trail off from the second or third post on After Hours. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Ruu wrote: »
    Yes, they tend to trail off from the second or third post on After Hours. :)
    Well thats the point AH has it place no doubt, but sometimes you have or want to start a thread a little bit serious for AH, and you dont know where to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

surely a politics discussion belongs in..... Politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

People don't take the Internet as serious as they should.

Internet, Serious Business.

FACT.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some threads actually do manage to have mature conversation with very little nonsense. It's only a very small amount though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Overheal wrote: »
    surely a politics discussion belongs in..... Politics?

Not always. It's good to discuss something by the books in Politics. But sometimes, people just want to be intemperate and not justify everything they say. Trouble is: you will get the jokes too. But some threads do have some decent discussion imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

After hours is for slating models who are ugly and getting away with it; talking about how to seek revenge on the scumbags; and all the christmas crap in september.

humanities, well that word is a little too posh for me to talk about, and politics forum is, (as it should be), run like a concentration camp.

we could have easily cut down to half the amount of threads in AH if the Angry Bastards forum had been approved, and we could have virtually abolished the AH forum if there was a forum dedicated to scumbags(maybe including Glenda Gilson)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

nevf wrote: »
    ...if there was a forum dedicated to scumbags (maybe including Glenda Gilson)
    That would certainly raise a few eyebrows.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dades wrote: »
    That would certainly raise a few eyebrows.

:D

raised enough for you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Anyone who wants a serious discussion on a topical issue shouldnt post it in AH. However if you want a light hearted discussion then AH is the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Internet, Serious Business.
    FACT.
    Well, Sergey Brin and Larry Page think so.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

stovelid wrote: »
    Not always. It's good to discuss something by the books in Politics. But sometimes, people just want to be intemperate and not justify everything they say. Trouble is: you will get the jokes too. But some threads do have some decent discussion imo.
    faceman wrote: »
    Anyone who wants a serious discussion on a topical issue shouldnt post it in AH. However if you want a light hearted discussion then AH is the place.

This is the limitation of After Hours.

If you want to talk with the grown ups you're going to have to put up with the fact that people will, amazingly, question you when you talk out of your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Could have another forum 'General Discussion' where AH style responses are not permitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

tricky D wrote: »
    Could have another forum 'General Discussion' where AH style responses are not permitted.
    Why is the solution thrown up to create another forum?

use whats available to ya first ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

kaimera wrote: »
    Why is the solution thrown up to create another forum?

use whats available to ya first ffs

And why not?

I agree with using what's already available, but when no appropriate box is found AH is where it usually ends up. However, in fairness, threads like the Stardust are getting the civility they deserve, it's just isn't always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

And why not?

I agree with using what's already available, but when no appropriate box is found AH is where it usually ends up. However, in fairness, threads like the Stardust are getting the civility they deserve, it's just isn't always the case.
    Because it can boil down to a poster going "oh, I dont know if I'll get the replies I want so I'll jsut go to AH".

Diluting boards more than it is now is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Well you can always report those threads and ask for them to be moved.

AH is for light-hearted discussion.
    Some times it crosses the line and people do use it for post count ++, but we usually get rid of them fairly quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

CuLT wrote: »
    This is the limitation of After Hours.

If you want to talk with the grown ups you're going to have to put up with the fact that people will, amazingly, question you when you talk out of your arse.

I have a nice bum tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I cannot begin to tell you how uninspired 'General Discussion' is for a forum name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I know people some people are not advocating Mature after hours, well just Mature after hours is not what I am talking about . After Hours is After Hours.

General Discussion forum sounds pretty dire.

Its figuring out which forum to go to when you want to have discussion that isnt bombarded with general dross or Yore Ma jokes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement