Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Border Hedging

Options
  • 25-09-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

HI

I have a raised deck which is about 30cm raised and i am looking for a suitable plant/hedgeshrub that i can plant around the edge and keep trimmed to about the 30cm mark.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Is this to screen the underside of the decking? I would go for Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

bmaxi wrote: »
    Is this to screen the underside of the decking? I would go for Box.

+1 (Buxus)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Box is nice, but expensive and very very slow, if on otherhand you'd like colour and a fast growing low <30 cm shrub, there are lots of other options, including :

Hebe Green Globe
    Andromeda Blue Ice
    Libanotis
    Lavender Blueberry Ruffles
    Euonymus japonica Extase
    Perrynetta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Box is nice, but expensive and very very slow, if on otherhand you'd like colour and a fast growing low <30 cm shrub, there are lots of other options, including :

Hebe Green Globe
    Andromeda Blue Ice
    Libanotis
    Lavender Blueberry Ruffles
    Euonymus japonica Extase
    Perrynetta

While I'll agree Box is slow growing, it is not necessarily expensive. I bought a six pack, approx 15cm. tall, in Lidl for €3.99 not so long ago. Perfect plants.
    Slightly off topic. I'm a big fan of the German multiples but one thing that does annoy me is the way they treat their plants, they never see a drop of water from the day they go on display and are left to wither and die. I don't understand the logic, if people don't buy healthy plants they are certainly not going to buy shrivelled ones, so at least take them off display and give them a decent burial. Rant over:)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭brown bear

thanks, when you say slow gowing, how slow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Box is perhaps one of the most commonly poorly planted hedges and being a slow grower (a few inches perhaps per year!) exacerbates results of the poor planting and spacing.

It is an excellent plant but to get impact requires a lot of plants, hence the expense. I would not consider 15cm plants as useable.

Advertisement