Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you drink on an average week?

• 25-09-2008 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, leaving aside the other prolific forum I moderate, I was just thinking to myself, do I drink too much? (as I pour myself a nightcap)

I have a nightcap 1-2 nights a week, usually a double whiskey. Then one night of the weekend, I get, let's be honest here, hammered. Probably 7-8 pints minimum.

I don't think that's really overdoing it. Or is it?

So, how much would you (honestly) drink a week?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Not drinking at the moment, stopped 2 weeks as a part of a plan to try and be a bit healthier.
    When I was drinking most weeks I wouldn't drink at all. But on the weeks that I did drink, only drinking at the weekends, it could range from 5-20 whiskeys.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Too many. Far too many. Time to cop on a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Used to drink almost every night for several months a few years ago, wised up though. at the minute, I think I had 8-10 cans last week over two days and it struck me as quite a bit, but not a lot at the same time?? I'm trying to restrict it to weekend drinking, I don't have much to do atm but don't want to get back into bad habits (or worse start drinking cause I haven't enough to do!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

About

50 bottles a week shame on me:eek: Now have to go need a refill:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Now, zero. Back when I was in the Military... Hmm, not sure I should technically be alive at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I've cut down a bit recently. Now it's a bottle of wine one or two evenings during the week. Then usually around 8/9 bottles beer and 3/4 shots after work on a saturday. Still a lot I know but not compared to what some are drinking I reckon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

5-6 pints on a night out at the weekend is usually plenty for me. I'd have the occasional mid-week trip to the pub where I'd only drink 3-4 pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

less than i used to but still way too much . probably about 2 or 3 drinks, usually whiskey, sitting at home on the couch on nightts when i have work the next morning. Out the odd thursday for 4 pints or so. Almost every friday and saturday for 7 or 8 pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Generally, a bottle of beer with my evening meal most days, or a can when I'm back in college.

After that, it depends if I'm in Waterford or Dublin.

Waterford, I'll head to the pub maybe once or twice in the week, and have about 6 pints at the most, though sometimes, special occasions, meeting people I've not seen in a while, etc, it can go on to a minimum of 6.

If I'm in Dublin, generally once a week, I'm going to get pished. Usually a minimum of 8 cans/pints/whatever. Have a thesis to write this year, so I reckon that'll be cut down on a bit.

I generally only drink Guiness or good German or Belgian beers though.. I'd much rather'em to spirits/alcopops etc.

Yeah, it's probably a lot, but then again, I'm a big guy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

During the week, usually nothing, unless on a rare occasion I go for a pint with a friend and at that it's never more than 2 or 3 tops.

Weekends, if I go out, I'll have a scatter. Tend not to mix too much, but might have a few pints (I drink cider) and a few gins (I <3 gin and bitter). If I don't go out, I may share a bottle of wine or 2 with someone if I'm visiting or being visited, but again, these wouldn't be every weekend.

I'm the son of an alcoholic who's entire family are alcoholics and it is a genetic disease, so I take special care of my drinking. Will go off it for a month every now and again just ro let the brain re-tune itself.

• Advertisement

Kharn wrote: »
    I'm the son of an alcoholic who's entire family are alcoholics and it is a genetic disease, so I take special care of my drinking. Will go off it for a month every now and again just ro let the brain re-tune itself.

When was that proven?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

When was that proven?

I would imagine it's something the poster has proven to himself. Not scientifically. From what he said about his father and his family, he does not want to follow that route so has found his own way to keep on track.

That's all well and good, but I don't think people should be making comments like that on a health forum without proof. I think there are a hell of a lot of people with alcholics in their families, and I don't think its all down to genetics.

That's all well and good, but I don't think people should be making comments like that on a health forum without proof. I think there are a hell of a lot of people with alcholics in their families, and I don't think its all down to genetics.

Maybe the genetics part has been proven? I dont know enough about it but I just think from the posters point of view, he knows what he is doing for himself. I mean at the end of the day, his post didnt offer advice for anyone

Oh I agree with his reasons for taking a break from the drink now and then, its a very good idea. I just think saying its a genetic disease is going to far without proof. Perhaps we should wait for Kharn to return and explain what he meant.

of course, thats the best thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Waaay too much. Have Freshers week in college next week but after that I'm giving it up for a bit methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

three/four bottles of wine per week-or a half bottle per night. as a matter of interest how many glasses of wine would put you over the drink drive limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

At the moment I'm off the drink since New Years Eve but prior to that I was drinking about five bottles of beer or maybe between four too six cans almost every night of the week .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Oh I agree with his reasons for taking a break from the drink now and then, its a very good idea. I just think saying its a genetic disease is going to far without proof. Perhaps we should wait for Kharn to return and explain what he meant.
    You are more likely to become an alcoholic if one of your parents was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

+1 as far as I know they've shown that people can have a genetic predisposition to become an alcoholic.

Personally I'm a binger,I can go weeks without drinking or smoking,or if I have 2/3 drinks and stop I'm grand,but the minute I have 4/5 I'm smoking and ordering shorts and generally going on the session.
    I'm not really interested in having a quiet couple,I just like going on the lash.So in general during college I try not to drink at all,that's just the way I roll

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

A very quick Google found these, but I will research more and post. Wasn't trying to make wild claims, but the genetic link was something told to me in school and by a doctor when my parents seperated due to my father's alcoholism. Not that I believe everything I'm told, but facts are, as Forky said, that you are more likely to be an alcoholic if a parent is one - this I'd attribute socio-environmental influences as much as a genetic link.
    II. Genetic.

Rumor has always been that alcoholism runs in the family and statistics has shown that it does. “An estimated 20-25% of sons and brothers of alcoholics become alcoholics,” as stated from the UCSF Family Alcoholism Study and “5% of daughters and sisters of alcoholics become alcoholics.” “Cotton (1979), in her classic review of family studies, concluded that alcoholics were six times more likely than nonalcoholics to report a positive family history of alcoholism,” (Development, 1) are just some more examples of the family and alcoholism.

Many studies have been conducted to support such a proposal and findings are leading toward specific chromosomes. The second of two studies by the Collaborative Study of the Genetics of Alcoholism (COGA) of “987 individuals from 105 families containing at least three first-degree relatives with alcohol dependence” (Pirisi) suggests that there is a “strong linkage between chromosomes 1 and 7 and susceptibility to alcohol dependence, and weak evidence for linkage to chromosome 2.” Another suspect of genes that was also looked at is a marker known as the dopamine D2 receptor found by Blum and co-workers to exit more often in alcoholics than nonalcoholics. (Genetics). When studied in animals, dopamine D2 receptor “had been associated with brain functions relating to reward, reinforcement, and motivation,” (Genetics) and therefore is suspected to increase a person’s risk of alcoholism and other addictions.

Along with the genes that were looked at, to make sure that alcoholism is inherited, studies were produced to find genetic markers. Genetic markers could be proteins, genes or DNA sequences, and “in linkage studies, genes potentially involved in a disease can be identified when they are transmitted from one generation to the next by studying genetic markers that are close enough on the same chromosome that they do not become separated at gametogenesis.” (Palmer, 195). In 1988 Hill et al. discovered a linkage between the MNS blood group system on chromosome 4 and alcoholism. On the same year, Tanna et al. found yet another, but weaker linkage between esterase D on chromosome 13 and alcoholism. (Palmer, 196).

Another finding that is gene related, reported by psychiatrist Henri Begleiter of the College of Medicine at the State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, is “a genetically influenced brain wave, called the P3 wave.” (Holden). He said that this brain wave is connected with recognition and attention and is often found in alcoholics and their close relatives. Also in another research that’s not yet published by psychologist William Iacono of the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, has found that “P3 deficits go not only with alcoholism and drug addiction but also with antisocial behavior and learning disorder,” Begleiter concluded that “we have evidence that [P3 deficit] is a good index of central nervous system disinhibition,” (Holden).
    May 26, 2004 -- A new study links a gene to alcohol addiction -- backing up a long-recognized pattern showing that alcoholism runs in families.

The finding also provides evidence that an inborn high level of anxiety is part of this picture. The study appears in this week's issue of the Journal of Neuroscience.

Research has shown that alcohol addiction is a complex disease, with both genetics and a tendency toward anxiety playing "crucial roles," writes researcher Subhash C. Pandey, PhD, a psychiatrist with the University of Illinois at Chicago.

"Some 30% to 70% of alcoholics are reported to suffer from anxiety and depression," Pandey says in a news release. "Drinking is a way for these individuals to self-medicate."

Pandey's research focuses on the CREB gene, so-named because it produces a protein called CREB -- cyclic AMP responsive element binding protein. The CREB gene regulates brain function during development and learning. The gene is also involved in the process of alcohol tolerance, dependence, and withdrawal symptoms, writes Pandey.

A section of the brain -- called the central amygdala -- is another piece of this puzzle. Both the CREB gene and the central amygdala have been linked with withdrawal and anxiety. When there is less CREB in the central amygdala, rats show increased anxiety-like behaviors and preference for alcohol.

Pandey's newest study puts it all together: It is "the first direct evidence that a deficiency in the CREB gene is associated with anxiety and alcohol-drinking behavior," Pandey writes.

Thanks for the links. I don't doubt that there is an increased likihood of becoming an alcoholic if a person's parent is one, but there could be many reasons for that as you pointed out. I know that there are/were many alcoholics in my family on both sides, at least one killed himself (not talked about much obviously) so there is that to think about. But drug dependency is a very complex thing and I wouldn't believe personally that it can be attributed to any one reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Honestly too freakin much.

Usually it is twice a week of heavy drinking, I'm talking 15+ cans/pints with shots and the whole lot which is loads for me.

Another night would be just a few cans, around 6/8.

Then might have one or two at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Last few drinks I had was the All Ireland Final. Before that, must have been Christmas?

Haven't drunk alot as work seems to be life the last few months rather than a social life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

pjproby wrote: »
    three/four bottles of wine per week-or a half bottle per night. as a matter of interest how many glasses of wine would put you over the drink drive limit?

http://www.drinkaware.ie/howmany.php

http://www.drinkaware.ie/howmany_male.php

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Thaedydal wrote: »

:eek:
    Was seriously over doing it. They recommend a limit of 3-4 whiskeys a day. Would have always drank more than that, would have had at least 5-6 whiskeys on an quiet night.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I haven't had any drink for ages because I'm on long term medication but even before that I'd only ever have one or two on nights out. And nights out for me are about once every two months!
    I don't go out much and I've never been drunk - the idea just doesn't really appeal to me. (Although I suspect by the time my 21st comes around, that may have changed!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thaedydal wrote: »

I think that Drink Aware website is the greatest cop-out ever by the Drinks Industry.

It really is a case of "Hey, drink lots of this, it makes you sexy and the women will want you" and then, in small letters on the bottom of the screen/ad, there is a tiny "get out of jail card" for the drinks industry.

That, and the "Enjoy XXXX responsibly" - they spend, what, 30-40 seconds telling you how great you will be with a few scoops on you, and then in less than a second, tell you to be sensible with drink. It really is a case of shifting the blame for the obsessive drink culture from the producer to the consumer.

Edit: Just looked at that site for the first time. I am not drinking enough whiskey, it seems. :D I can safely have 3-4 a day.

• Advertisement

How much drink makes you a binge drinker?? I like a few beers at the weekend, but couldnt tell you how man I'd have tbh. On friday night, I had a glass of wine (home measure) and then 4 bottles of beer with a meal and last night I had 6 pints of beer. Have I spent my weekend binge drinking? :o basically I'm not going to be drinking for the foreseeable future but I feel I could have (and have done in the past) a lot more drinking/damage.

Advertisement