Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you drink on an average week?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

The lastest recommendations is that more than four drinks in one sitting is a binge, I work in the treatment industry and personally don't agree with it, but that's the latest wisdom,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DefenseSoapEire

I only drink maybe 4 or 5 times a year, and i'd really only have more than 3 or 4 drinks on 2 of those occasions - my birthday and Christmas.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Odysseus wrote: »
    The lastest recommendations is that more than four drinks in one sitting is a binge, I work in the treatment industry and personally don't agree with it, but that's the latest wisdom,
    man thats a bit bizarre alright. I have seen the ad's on TV for drinkaware.ie where the girls get disgracefully drunk and are vomitting on the street, falling face down etc but I would have assumed that that was the result of binge drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

ChewChew wrote: »
    man thats a bit bizarre alright. I have seen the ad's on TV for drinkaware.ie where the girls get disgracefully drunk and are vomitting on the street, falling face down etc but I would have assumed that that was the result of binge drinking.

Sometimes useful but for the most part I never use it.

Have you ever tried to cut down on your drinking?

Have people ever been angry over your drinking?

Do you ever feel guilty over your drinking?

Have you ever had an eye-opener? [a drink first thing in the morning]

Yes to two or more is suggestive of a drink problem, what type of answers do you think you would get at the bus stop tomorrow morining from people to these. I reckon you would get at least a lot of twos.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That drinkaware site came in for some criticism on The Last Word recently. Apparently there's a "drink diary" where you can record what you consume daily. Apparently there was nothing to stop you putting in that you drank 20 whiskeys a day, and yet it never made any recommendation to cut down or seek help if you did. It was suggested that it's being used by the drinks industry, whose site it is, as a consumer information gathering exercise. Wouldn't surprise me in the least, the drinks industry have nothing to gain by promoting a site that recommends you reduce your intake.

Personally I find myself drinking a lot less now than I used to. It's not out of any real conscious decision, just happened naturally. I think as I'm getting older the desire to go out and get wasted has diminished somewhat, although that's not to say I don't on occasions, but where I used to go out on the lash every Friday after work, for example, I now probably only do so once or twice a month on average. The recovery time is a lot slower than it used to be when I was younger, so that's possibly a factor too. I don't drink an awful lot at home or during the week, but I never really did anyway, I've always preferred to drink in pubs and at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I drink 2 to 3 bottles (500ml) of beer a week and until I read this thread I was feeling guilty about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

At the moment, practically nothing. I will very occassionally have a beer, rarer still i might actually go out drinking.

The simple fact is that there is a quantity of alchohol the body can deal with a week and once your not getting hammered and acting the maggot i don't think there is a huge worry on drinking on it own.

What most people don't think about it their drinking in relation to everything else they do. Most times the whole "balance" thing that we heard verbatim is actually a pretty good idea.

Do you hit the gym, eat healthy? Then you have nothing to worry about from a few beers during the week. It's when your spending all day on your ass and eating rubbish that the drinks you enjoy will genuinely be costing you something. The poor diet, lack of excercise and all those extra calories will pile on the weight and all that comes with it.

Thats when "just a few beers" is not "just a few beers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I usually drink about twice a month and have a 3-4 pints each time. Other than that I may ocassionally have a beer with a dinner or a glass of wine.

Last weekend I was at a wedding so I had champagne, wine and porter, about 5 pints of porter. I did have some lucozades and water between them. All over the course of eight hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i drink way too much. sunday is my main evening where ill start at 6 and wont finish til around 3. ill drink mostly all week taking only one or two days off at most. i really need to get a handle on it. i wouldnt say im an alcaholic because i dont crave it when im not drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

Well it really varies week to week with me. I might go to the local with mates for a game of pool or my Dad even 1-3 times a week. Anything from 2-6 pints as the mood takes me or if someone is generous. Work or training would change things too. At weekends say on a Saturday night I'd have probably 5/6 pints and a couple of shots or bottles or jaeger bombs. At that I'm happy, I'd be suitably inebriated without destroying myself. I'm 22 not the biggest lad either 5'8" + 10 stone so the whole machismo chugging beer and downing shots for sport eludes me. I did a fair bit in college though admittedly and from time to time you'll catch me at it. Saying other times I'll drink maybe 2/3 glasses of wine with one dinner and that might be all for weeks. No fixed drinking "schedule" and I prefer it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I've cut down a bit recently. Now it's a bottle of wine one or two evenings during the week. Then usually around 8/9 bottles beer and 3/4 shots after work on a saturday. Still a lot I know but not compared to what some are drinking I reckon....

I was more or less in the same boat up to the latest of my fitness drives (this one is for keeps,I hope). Alcohol wise, a bottle of red two or three times a week, combined with at least one weekend night of binge drinking-however well I handled it, 14 or 15 pints of Carlsberg is precisely that, and I shudder to think of the calories alone.

Oh, the vin rouge also came with an unhealthy chinese take away...

As of now, I'm the right side of 12 stone for the second time this year, and more active than I've ever been.

At the minute I'm abstaining 'til Christmas, officially, which means Ballygowan on nights out, but still allow my self a glass or two of wine at home maybe once a week (I'm having one now in fact).

Not as hard as I thought it would be.
    Dragan wrote: »
    At the moment, practically nothing. I will very occassionally have a beer, rarer still i might actually go out drinking.

The simple fact is that there is a quantity of alchohol the body can deal with a week and once your not getting hammered and acting the maggot i don't think there is a huge worry on drinking on it own.

What most people don't think about it their drinking in relation to everything else they do. Most times the whole "balance" thing that we heard verbatim is actually a pretty good idea.

Do you hit the gym, eat healthy? Then you have nothing to worry about from a few beers during the week. It's when your spending all day on your ass and eating rubbish that the drinks you enjoy will genuinely be costing you something. The poor diet, lack of excercise and all those extra calories will pile on the weight and all that comes with it.

Thats when "just a few beers" is not "just a few beers".

As always, I read a Dragan post and nod accordingly:)

That's where I'm at, at the moment, and would like to apply the balance I've lacked up to now, long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Only noticed this forum now, good job!

I had three bottles of beer on the weekend. The last time I drank before that was at the end of August. I was never really into the going out into town/clubs thing so it's really only the odd house party or special occasion that I would drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I must say I never got too badly into drinking. Even in college, I used to like the occasional pint or two if we finished class early or had a particularly hard day and wanted to unwind. When I'd go out I would have probably had 4 cans, two or three pints and one or two spirits + mixers. All over maybe 6 hours.

Nowadays, I rarely drink. I have bottles of beer in the fridge and if I'm working 2-10pm I may have one or two bottles once in the week. And on a Friday or Saturday night if the humour takes me I'll have one or two again.

When I go out with the lads from work it could be four or five pints and one or two spirits + mixers. So I'm very rarely sloshed!

This probably has a lot to do with the fact that my girlfriend doesn't drink, and has never. My mother never drank, and my father only on family occasions. So the pub wasn't a big part of our upbringing.

I also have a number of relations who are/have been alcoholics and have seen first hand what it can do. And one of the reasons my mother never drank was because her father and one of her brothers used to be angry when they had whiskey inside them! So I don't think I'll go along with the 3-4 whiskeys a day that DrinkAware thing says I can have!

Advertisement