Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jsut saw something

Options
  • 25-09-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hey, I live on the northside of dublin... Just saw a fast moving, orange light fly over... was moving faster then most satellites I've seen and obviously it was orange and big...

Any ideas what it was?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

ISS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

barnicles wrote: »
    ISS?

No I've seen that loadsa times before... Was faster moving and orange compared to ISS's white but just as big/bright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 se51

Doomofman wrote: »
    Hey, I live on the northside of dublin... Just saw a fast moving, orange light fly over... was moving faster then most satellites I've seen and obviously it was orange and big...

Any ideas what it was?

Can you provide us with more details of what you saw? Can you tell if it was closer to the ground (low altitude) or flying high? Do you remember anything about its shape (if it was low)? Or maybe how fast it was approximately flying? Or into which direction? Do you know if other people have seen it with you? Maybe we can then find out what it was or wasn't.

se51 wrote: »
    Can you provide us with more details of what you saw? Can you tell if it was closer to the ground (low altitude) or flying high? Do you remember anything about its shape (if it was low)? Or maybe how fast it was approximately flying? Or into which direction? Do you know if other people have seen it with you? Maybe we can then find out what it was or wasn't.

Was flying west to east... Was orange.. Around the same size as the ISS when you see it, maybe slightly larger. Travelling faster then ISS seems to when I've seen it. Maybe visible for 5/6 seconds. Dunno bout altitude or anything

To Update... Just saw the ISS... The thing I saw the other night wasn't travelling as northerly as the ISS. Was slighlty brighter/larger and was going at least twice as fast... and its brightness didn't change...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

Something like this? Could be a chinese lantern.

0utpost31 wrote: »
    Something like this? Could be a chinese lantern.

Now definatly not.. Much higher up... Never changed brightness and was moving much quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

A friend of mine, boards user Silverski reported seeing orange lights off the coast of Bray a few weeks ago. He got the same suggestions as those made in this thread and over in 'aviation' he was told that no planes had Orange running lights.

Well I think I can clear that one up. Was up at an observiing session near the sugarloaf last week with my telescope and a group of other astronomers. Saw moving orange lights off the coast of Bray/S.Dublin. Pointed my 15x binoculars on it and it was a plane with what appeared to be orange running lights. Then pointed my scope with my lowest power eyepiece at 50x on it. A plane with normal red and white running lights.

The rising moon looked very orangy low down on the eastern horizon that night until it rose out of the murk. I think it was just sahara dust suspended in the atmosphere carried up by the azores high that week tinting the planes white running lights orange.

Calibos wrote: »
    A friend of mine, boards user Silverski reported seeing orange lights off the coast of Bray a few weeks ago. He got the same suggestions as those made in this thread and over in 'aviation' he was told that no planes had Orange running lights.

Well I think I can clear that one up. Was up at an observiing session near the sugarloaf last week with my telescope and a group of other astronomers. Saw moving orange lights off the coast of Bray/S.Dublin. Pointed my 15x binoculars on it and it was a plane with what appeared to be orange running lights. Then pointed my scope with my lowest power eyepiece at 50x on it. A plane with normal red and white running lights.

The rising moon looked very orangy low down on the eastern horizon that night until it rose out of the murk. I think it was just sahara dust suspended in the atmosphere carried up by the azores high that week tinting the planes white running lights orange.

Definatly wasn't a plane.. too high up, no noise, light was solid.. never changed...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

E.T touching base....definetly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

This sounds pretty much exactly like what I saw last night around midnight, passing over Laois, roughly ssw to nne, passed directly overhead, moved around the same speed as a satellite, but a lot brighter and more orange coloured - had a look at Heavens-above.com, but nothing corresponding to the time, location. (ISS was due a pass earlier last night, but different direction and altitude). Any ideas?

Advertisement