Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subjects needed

Options
  • 25-09-2008 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

for the leaving cert im already doing english irish maths french lcvp all honours except irish and i want to do journalism/media when i leave school is there any subject i need for it like history or whatever or should i just pick whatever subjects im good at for the leaving i dropped business in 1st year so thats out points wise whats the best to pick ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Why don't you check with a) your career guidance teacher b) uni/college websites c) alternate websites to see what subjects are needed for your course(s).

Also if you're planning on doing journalism, I suggest you start using capital letters and punctuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 amy93

k i was just looking for personal opinion from people that are hoping to do r that have done it and i have asked my career guidance teacher but as i am in a crap school she basically told me find out the information myself which is why i asked in the first place ............ not actually to b corrected on my punctuation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's no such thing as a crap school, just lazy students who want to be spoonfed. Sounds like your career guidance teacher was trying to encourage you to develop independent research skills.
    If you've managed to find boards.ie how about google.ie next.

well its just amazing how u seem 2 know whether my school is crap r not since i doubt it very much that u go there ................ and as i said before i was just looking for personal opinion from people and i have actually been looking up other websites for advice but this was recommended to me so i decided to see what answers i could get . of course me being a Lazy student im probably just trying to get everything done for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

What college do you want to do it in?

You should probably have a look at the college website.

For example, journalism in DCU:

"Points Last Year: 475
    Duration: 3 yrs
    Type of degree: Full-time
    Entry Requirements: Grade C3 in two Higher Level subjects and Grade D3 in Four Ordinary or Higher level subjects including Mathematics and English OR Irish."

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=JR&degree_description=B.A.+in+Journalism+%28Bachelor+Honours+Degree%29

• Advertisement

Thank you finally a decent reply not looking for what colleges are looking for points wise really which is kind of stupid i konw but even if it required 600 points id get them i just looking for what subjects people have found useful but thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What college do you want to go to?

Go to www.qualifax.ie and under CAO courses search for Journalism and it wil bring up courses in that area all over the country.

I'd imagine histroy would be good for your writing skills, but as it's not a requirement and a very long course I wouldn't bother.

Are you only doing four subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

amy93 wrote: »
    Thank you finally a decent reply not looking for what colleges are looking for points wise really which is kind of stupid i konw but even if it required 600 points id get them i just looking for what subjects people have found useful but thanks anyway

What do you want ot be a journalist in? what are your interests? Its a pretty useless profession unless you can supply an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Pick subjects you're interested in. :]
    Oh and while posting on here, why not try and show off your grammar and punctuation skills! ;]

Advertisement