Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I change from a 1.8 Civic to a diesel?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Have a 2007 1.8 Civic hatchback, 140bhp version. Awesome car, love it to bits. Changed jobs recently enough and doing a lot more motorway miles than I had anticipated.

I'm getting about 40mpg out of the Civic at the moment (not driving like a clown, of course) but I kind of feel in the back of my head that I could be saving more money driving a diesel.

Would it be worth the hassle of changing for something like a diesel 3 series or an S40. Would I actually be saving that much cash in the long run? Would love to hear your opinions :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

If you're looking to trade in and pick up a similar aged/speced diesel, in todays market you'd want to be doing 1000's of miles a day for a few years to start making a saving over your current petrol after the hit you'll take in the trade in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

you are going to take a hammering trying to sell/trade your 07 car

would want to be doing about 25-30k miles pa to justify IMHO

my advise is stick with your petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If you're managing 40mpg then I'd stick with what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,447 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As the lads said. The transaction costs of changing your car would far outweigh any saving on fuel unless you're talking an extreme mileage. To change would be cent wise, euro foolish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

reitoei wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Have a 2007 1.8 Civic hatchback, 140bhp version. Awesome car, love it to bits. Changed jobs recently enough and doing a lot more motorway miles than I had anticipated.

I'm getting about 40mpg out of the Civic at the moment (not driving like a clown, of course) but I kind of feel in the back of my head that I could be saving more money driving a diesel.

Would it be worth the hassle of changing for something like a diesel 3 series or an S40. Would I actually be saving that much cash in the long run? Would love to hear your opinions :)

Honda now offer there excellent 2.2 CTDI in the Civic. Its not as good as the smae engine in the Accord but it's a flyer with bags of torque in the overtaking ranges taht with give a Civic R a run for its money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,447 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bee wrote: »
    Honda now offer there excellent 2.2 CTDI in the Civic. Its not as good as the smae engine in the Accord but it's a flyer with bags of torque in the overtaking ranges taht with give a Civic R a run for its money

The Civic diesel gives the Civic Type-R a run for its money? I think I've seen it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭reitoei

Top Dog wrote: »
    If you're managing 40mpg then I'd stick with what you have.

Yeah, 40mpg is pretty damn good. I shouldn't be crapping on the plate that I eat from!

Bee: Yeah, the 2.2 diesel is nice (I thought it was the same engine as the one in the Accord?). I don't think it's any faster than the 1.8, it just doesn't have to work as hard at it.

So yeah, think I will stick with the Civic... my 80's spaceship. Perhaps some new rims will sate my car lust for a while.

Cheers for the advice folks. I don't drop in here too often, but when I do it's always educational.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

reitoei wrote: »
    Awesome car, love it to bits.

Actually even if you got a straight swap for a diesel model of a similar car, considering the amount of time you'll be spending in it, would the few quid you'll save make up for it if it's not car you love to bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Civic diesel is overpriced for the Irish market.

OP the cost to change up to a diesel will buy you alot of fuel. Keep what you have for the moment, I'd say.

Advertisement