Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullet Impacts on Glass

Options
  • 25-09-2008 10:25pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience with bullet impacts on glass? I know someone who is haveing plate glass windows broken and it looks suspiciously like bullet holes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

PM me Rew.I can proably get you someone.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

Surely if somebody is firing missiles bullet or otherwise you will find the missile nearby, embedded in a wall behind, on the floor(pull all the appliances/furniture out). If no missiles consider glass marbles fired from a catapult-the marble shatters too leaving broken glass but with a telltale bit of coloured paper.As a child saw them used to shatter windows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I think a .22 would potentially decintigrate and no ball bearings were found. Glass marbel is a posability but big plate glass windows arn't easy to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

hi, i shot a few bits of plate glass before, the shot would leave a small hole on impact turning cone shape tru the thickness of the glass then look bigger to the back of the glass. the cone shape of glass would be missing from the plate glass sheet,a bearing from a catapult would do the same with no bang from gun but maybe its a air gun that shoots the copper coated bb's they also give same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,357 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What do you call "plate Glass windows". As by my def, that covers all modern glass.
    Which isn't that hard to break.

Depending on the bevels, you should be able to tell if side it came from.
    If you really think its a bullet, then involve the guards.

I'm not saying you would. But i've seen people over react like this and think there was a sniper after them, was just a stone that left a round hole.

(Not sure is a .22lr would fragment through your normal window.

• Advertisement

Large glass pane that you would find in shop fronts and other comercial premises. Its not an accident, accidents dont happen over and over. Gardai will do their own thing but theirs no harm in doing some digging.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Any chance of a photo? People might recognise the cause if they saw the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

A .22 wouldn't shatter on impact with glass. They don't shatter that much even when they hit steel, and glass is a liquid after all. If it's made a hole then the bullet would have gone through which means that it's somewhere in the room where the window was. It'd still be travelling fairly fast too, so there should be a wall with a little bit of lead in it somewhere.

Air rifle pellet might be to blame, but there should still be evidence of it. I'd be inclined to agree with the glass marble theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

CCtv camera? They should be cheap enough by now. I'd imagine if it's a catapult they'd have to be close enough to do real damage. If it's a bullet there should at least be bullet fragments somewhere. I doubt they vaporise on impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭shaft666

We had some reinforced windows accidently shot at work by "someone" ;) using a .22 to kill cormorants and they left a pretty clean hole with only minor starring around the edges. The shots were over 80 yards and although the guilty person spent a lot of time looking for the bullets in a very small room (8' x 8') no trace could be found.
    Paul

• Advertisement

Info I have is sketchy enough hope to get a picture but info posted so far is very interesting. Want to keep it to the topic of the effect of projectiles on glass, anything else wouldn't be relevent to this forum. From what I gather it's being done from the road which is 10 or 15 meters at least.

shaft666 wrote: »
    We had some reinforced windows accidently shot at work by "someone" ;) using a .22 to kill cormorants and they left a pretty clean hole with only minor starring around the edges. The shots were over 80 yards and although the guilty person spent a lot of time looking for the bullets in a very small room (8' x 8') no trace could be found.
    Paul

Thanks for the info, does that "someone" know how illeagle and dangerous that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭shaft666

Rew wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, does that "someone" know how illeagle and dangerous that it?

They were put right after the event!
    I must add the "someone" wasn't myself but was a colleague of mine who felt the shot was safe! It was more than pointed out to him the dangers of ricochets on water and I can assure you it wasn't something he ever tried again. The room was a monitoring tower in the middle of a reservoir.
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Jesus even if it is only a marble from a catapult and doesn't involve a firearm at all then that is very annoying (to put it mildly) :mad:.

I remember as a kid putting tiny pebbles through double glazed windows (junk windows) not a bother from about 15 meters with a catapult. Tiny whole. Very similar to what I imagined a small cal bullet whole to look like

Rew, could the person with the prob get a big heavy curtain and hang it inside the window (when store or whatever is closed). I assume this is happening after hours. Maybe this would trap a slowed projectile enough to identify it.

Also if they are replacing windows could you ask for a scrap section or something and carry out tests yourself with all methods mentioned above to see can you make a call on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Another idea;) A man from the town here had a gripe with a shopowner. At night he would go to this shop wondow with a star head screwdriver and hammer. Hit the screwdriver a slap with the hammer and a small circle hole was left. Sounds like the same problem my shop owner friend had. Kept happening as soon as he had it repaired. NOT CHEAP glass to replace:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or it could be a spring loaded metal punch.One of the more fav tools to demolish somones car window glass.So tell us,is this a shop or residental glass that is being taken out?If it is a shop,then CCTV and /or curtain should sort it out as to what is going on.One other thing I have seen this happen is belive it or not is road chippings.Astore in San Diego was convinced they were being shot at.Truned out to be that the road was full of stone chips and cars coming off a freeway were hitting the stones and projecting them into the window.!:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 39,357 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Or it could be a spring loaded metal punch.One of the more fav tools to demolish somones car window glass.So tell us,is this a shop or residental glass that is being taken out?If it is a shop,then CCTV and /or curtain should sort it out as to what is going on.One other thing I have seen this happen is belive it or not is road chippings.Astore in San Diego was convinced they were being shot at.Truned out to be that the road was full of stone chips and cars coming off a freeway were hitting the stones and projecting them into the window.!:eek:
    I imagine a punch would shatter the window

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:rolleyes: I demolished an old greenhouse recently which had thin 3mm glass.
    I could'nt resist taking a few shots with a 12 ft/lb airgun and to my astonishment it punched clean holes through the glass, only shattering after about half a doz shots. Any gun will punch holes , not sure about a catapult ?

Advertisement