Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Site excavation

• 25-09-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

We are in the process of getting our percolation test done. Our site is long and narrow with a gentle slope towards the back, resulting in most of the site, apart from the bit near the road, being very soft and wet. First trial hole down the slope unsuccessful as too wet, so have to do another one nearer the road where it's dry, which means house needs to go further down the slope, i.e. onto the softer bit. Our engineer now told us it could cost up to €60,000 to fill in with stones for the foundations!:( Does that sound very steep? The house is only small (30 ft long x 24 ft wide).

Also on the matter of percolation area - what are the minimum distances it has to be away from the road, site boundaries and house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mallini

Hi Robin,

Your treatment system and percolation area are to be in accordance with current EPA Guidelines (www.epa.ie). Page 19 will answer your question about seperation distances from roads, other dwellings etc ....
    It's very difficult to answer your question about the site investigations without seeing the site or the soil profile. Your engineer is the professional and their advice should be taken at all times but this doesn't mean you cannot explore different solutions to the wet/soft ground. €60k does seem a little excessive but your engineer is probably telling you the worst possible cost rather than breaking the bad news later. Piling and ground beams maybe an alternative to stone filling and a possible raft foundation. In the current economic climate I'm sure prices are very competitive. My advice is to sit down with your engineer and discuss all possible solutions. Your first problem is getting a favourable percolation result. Without this you will find it very difficult to get planning !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mallini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You might just want to check your local PA's development plan also. Some PAs will look for a greater separation distance than that recommended by the EPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Robin1

Thanks for that Mallini and muffler. In the meantime the guy who dug the first trial hole reckoned that it would cost 20-25k and he also mentioned something about piling. Does piling work out cheaper than filling?

Re: the epa guidelines - I thought it was 10m distance from the house for the percolation area alright, it's just that somebody else told me it was 20m, but as you said maybe our PA has different requirements - I didn't know that could be the case but I'll check it out for definite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Robin1 wrote: »
    Re: the epa guidelines - I thought it was 10m distance from the house for the percolation area alright, it's just that somebody else told me it was 20m, but as you said maybe our PA has different requirements - I didn't know that could be the case but I'll check it out for definite.
    20m separating distance required in Donegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement