Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise with WW.

• 26-09-2008 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭

I joined WW two weeks ago and have a lot of weight to loose.It has left me with a very weak back (lower) and my legs not great due to the amount of weight they have to deal with.I lost 10lbs the first week due to fluid retention in my legs and already feel much better.
    I was wondering would anyone have any gentle exercise I can do untill I loose enough weight so I can go walking,I feel I need to do something.:(
    Please help!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

holly1, first of all, well done for facing up to your weight problems and doing something about them! 10lbs off is a fantastic start and soon your body is going to thank you big time for the efforts you are making to care for it.

As for exercise, you will need to try to do something that is not weight-bearing. Here are a few suggestions.

1. Swimming is the most obvious option. Try for one or two lengths the first day, and each consequetive day try to do one length more than the day before. However, I know it can be hard to get into a swimsuit when you have a lot of weight to lose!

2. Join a gym that has cardio equipment that works the upper body. In my gym there is a machine that is like a bicycle for your arms. I use this sometimes because I have had a lot of surgery on my right hip, and from time to time it really aches. You basically put your hands into the "pedals" and "cycle". It's quite hard going and looks silly :) but gets the heart rate up nicely.

3. Find a beginners yoga class, or get a beginner's yoga DVD. I have never done this before but the focus is, as I understand it, on gentle stretching and breathing exercises.

4. Gentle cycling. Get on your bike and go for a gentle 15 minute cycle each day to start you off. It will work those sore legs and not put strain on your back.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck and take your time!

Remember, as soon as you are able for it, you should get out walking, as weight-bearing exercise is very important for all over bodily health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Thank you NP for your reply,you have to be the most careing person I have met in years.
    As you said swimming is a bit difficult because of my size,I can swim and love it,but will have a go at one of the others and when I loose a bit more I will go swimming.
    By the way I lost 1/2lb last week,big change from 10lbs but better off than on.
    How are you getting on?You are my inspiration so keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Hi Holly, fair play to ya! I second neuro-praxis with the bicycle-arm machine! It makes me look like a twat but really works the upper arms. I also started with cycling and as I was ridiculously unfit I used to go along the canal coz its mostly level and I didn't have to stress about hills :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I had a disastrous week, as you'll see in my food diary! :o Trying to keep the faith.

If you like swimming and are good at it, try not to let the swimsuit issue get you. The trick with exercise is doing something you like. You could get a nice tankini (swimming pants and top) that covers a lot, and go swimming at quiet pool times?

1.5lbs is fantastic. If you lost 1.5 lbs a week for a year, that would be 78 lbs. Keep going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

holly1 wrote: »
    As you said swimming is a bit difficult because of my size,I can swim and love it,but will have a go at one of the others and when I loose a bit more I will go swimming.

If it's any help, I used to swim regularly when I weighed 17 stone plus. If I felt any of the skinny girls were looking at me, I'd mentally tell them "Wait till we get in the water, I'll make bits of you." Actually, I don't think they really were looking, I was just paranoid. But once you are in the water, no-one can see your shape, just your head, bits of your arms and your feet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement