Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there still a dublin critical mass ride?

Options
  • 26-09-2008 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

and if so, where is the ride?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

slap/dash wrote: »
    and if so, where is the ride?
    Na, it died a death. Apparently, the sight of people on bicycles offended motorists, so they had to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Another victory for the reputation of the Irish cyclist. Let's hope CM stays dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

rp wrote: »
    Na, it died a death. Apparently, the sight of people on bicycles offended motorists, so they had to stop it.

Ah spare us

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Did anyone from here ever go to these yokes when they were still on? Did they ever get much of a turn out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I'd never heard of this before googling it now...seems a wee bit confrontational doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I attended it once - was a nice spin around town and then went to the pub. These days I don't really see the point of it. The best way to achieve a "critical mass" is just to encourage people to ride their bikes and get greater numbers out on the road on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Probably for the best. It's getting a bit out of control over in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Morgan wrote: »
    I attended it once - was a nice spin around town and then went to the pub. These days I don't really see the point of it. The best way to achieve a "critical mass" is just to encourage people to ride their bikes and get greater numbers out on the road on a regular basis.

Well a lot of people don't cycle in Dublin because they think it's too dangerous. The point of CM was, as far as I know, to enforce safety for cyclists temporarily.

Húrin wrote: »
    Well a lot of people don't cycle in Dublin because they think it's too dangerous. The point of CM was, as far as I know, to enforce safety for cyclists temporarily.

Pointless, like DCC's last PR attempt

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There must be scope for a more balanced approach. For example, a group of a few hundred cyclists, riding legally i.e. in double file, would still create a big impression without all the antagonism that comes with blocking the entire road to traffic.

• Advertisement

Húrin wrote: »
    The problem is respect. Few drivers have respect for cyclists and their safety. So cyclists retaliate and show little respect for the road and its laws. So drivers have even less respect.

This prevents people from getting on the bike because there's an overall view that the only people who cycle are either crusty, save-the-world types, poor people, children and competitive cyclists, and if I join them, then no-one will have any respect for me and I won't be safe.

Critical Mass only serves to enforce this stereotype and further gives drivers an excuse to disrespect cyclists. The very idea of cyclists, "Reclaiming the streets" immediately puts the whole thing on a hostile footing and so is doomed to failure.

Until someone comes up with an idea that doesn't put cycling into an "Us -v- Them" perspective, you're never going to get the general public to agree that cycling is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Teach children to cycle in reasonable sized groups on a road. A bunch of adults and a bunch of kids. Drivers see kids being educated how to use the road properly, in a reasonably safe environment with knowledgeable cyclists around them.

Everyone gets used to seeing groups of cyclists on the road. Drivers take care because kids are super fragile and breakable. It removes the krusty, poor, etc other stereotypes. It's not confrontational, it's about teaching kiddies.

And apparently, everyone loves kids.

Or another thing along the same lines, take groups of tourists around the city on bicycle tours. Same as above, but swap learning to cycle with learning about the city and kids with tourists.

Actually, one thing that came into my head was to apply the idea of the lollipop man/woman to cycling. So you have say four adults "guiding" a group of kids on their cycle to school, then collecting them again and guiding them home.

I'm not sure just how practical this is, but I can't see too many motorists getting irritated at a group of kids riding respectfully to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

seamus wrote: »
    This prevents people from getting on the bike because there's an overall view that the only people who cycle are either crusty, save-the-world types, poor people, children and competitive cyclists, and if I join them, then no-one will have any respect for me and I won't be safe.

In my experience people's worry about safe cycling has nothing to do with being mistaken for a member of the great unwashed and then heartlessly being run down by motorists who dislike one of the groups you mentioned. ;)

I think that there is a genuine issue with cycling safety in Dublin. The infrastructure is poorly designed and largely in poor condition. There are various previous threads on here about better design of cycle paths and from personal experience I know that London made huge improvements in this area under Ken Livingston. The problem here seems to be that it is not a priority for the government, local authorities or police to raise cyclist numbers and so safety is not high on the agenda.

When I had a near miss with a motorcyclist driving dangerously in a solid line (no motor vehicle) cycle lane the gardai seemed interested in his abusive behaviour but not at all that he was in the cycle lane. There are often obstructions in lanes in my commute and never have I seen any action being taken against offenders.

Respect is one thing (and the majority of motorists seem to have respect for other road users) but creating safe infrastructure so that motorists respectful or not are not a threat is really the key to raising numbers.

Verb wrote: »
    Teach children to cycle in reasonable sized groups on a road. A bunch of adults and a bunch of kids. Drivers see kids being educated how to use the road properly, in a reasonably safe environment with knowledgeable cyclists around them.
    Or another thing along the same lines, take groups of tourists around the city on bicycle tours. Same as above, but swap learning to cycle with learning about the city and kids with tourists.

Excellent ideas in this post. How can this be made to happen?

Respect is one thing (and the majority of motorists seem to have respect for other road users) but creating safe infrastructure so that motorists respectful or not are not a threat is really the key to raising numbers.

I'd disagree. I think it is precisely cycling specific infrastructure that creates a lack of respect among motorists. It reinforces their belief that bikes don't belong on the road and that they should be segregated away from other traffic. The more bike lanes we get painted onto footpaths, the more motorists there are going to be beeping at us because we are 'in the way'.

We'd have to borrow a few children for a start. Does any place rent them out by the hour?

I think that people have so many more positive ideas and attitudes to the situation on this board is a sign that something can change, and I agree with el tonto's point that cycling infrastructure emphasies a view that bikes don't belong on the road.

Cycling needs better PR. The image of the krusty, self-righteous world saver needs to be done away with and more promotion given to the image of someone cycling being exactly that, someone. Someone a driver could identify with and see the positives of cycling in a non-judgemental way.

The amount of kids out on bikes in general is huge, they all tend to be on those full suspension Jeep things, but if the government could make things ready for them to continue in the sma eway and not lose that affinity with cycling as a way of geting around, they might be less tempted to use a car so much when they grow older

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

As a commuting cyclist myself with teenage children I am constantly encouraging them to cycle and 2 of them (ages 12 and 14) do use their bikes 2 -3 times a week. However it is very hard to know what advice to give them. Adults know the rules of the road as the vast majority of them drive but children do not have this advantage. Do you tell them to cycle on the road with all its hazards. Tell them to use the path with probably more chance of an accident or just do what most of us do and tell them to be careful. Also both parents need to be in agreement that the kids can cycle because in the event of an accident you dont one blaming the other.
    Riding in groups with adults is a great idea however most teenagers want to be as far from adults as possible. Maybe a cycling version of " the walking bus" to and from school for primary kids would be ideal but as always it requires adult volunteers (who are also cyclists!!) The amazing thing is once kids get use to a bike they love the freedom and independence it gives them.

Kids like cycling. We need to make it easier for them and they will be the adult cyclists of the future.

I'm sure some of the cyclists on this forum have been unlucky enough to get stuck with a few of the parasites. They could meetup, pick a route and cycle it. Tell their mates, stick it here etc and others could join in if they wished. A relaxed cycle around obeying lights, cycling properly etc.

Unfortunately it's probably not the best time of year. A summer evening cycle around the city with the sprogs would go down well I'd imagine, not so much a dark wintery evening.

I think DCC did something like this recently actually come to think of it. There was definitely some children/parent cycle event organised.

School runs is a good idea too, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

el tonto wrote: »
    We'd have to borrow a few children for a start. Does any place rent them out by the hour?

I always find that if I am on the road and there is a cycle path beside me which is "uncyclable", passing motorists tend to overtake very close and try and cut in in front of me. If I then make a turn onto a smaller road, without any cycle path I seem to be gifted twice the space and motorists are in general more "aware" of my presence on the road.

This is one of my fundamental disagreements with bike specific lanes: they are never designed specifically for cyclists, but rather "painted on" as you say to accomodate cyclists within the existing traffic network. An afterthought.

Because of this, we end up with a convoluted network for cyclists that moves from road, to footpath and sometimes even disappears altogether. Since motorists are essentially unaware of cyclists when they are on the footpath "bike lane", when these fantastic intersections of bike lane and road appear, they place the rider in an incredibly dangerous situation. It woulf be safer for everyone if cyclists were allowed to use the bus lane, that way they are recognised as part of the traffic flow.

I keep meaning to photograph it, but the junction that highlights this point for me is at the N11 and Kill Ave, next to foxrock church. The cyclists, kept away from motorists attention, are suddenly thrust into the middle of a busy intersection even though I believe they maintain the right of way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

well i started doing it in boston a few years ago where it was a real fun kind of event that was just exhillerating. i never really viewed it as a change the world type thing, although there are those who do, especially the anarchist crew with their u lock justice type stuff....
    there was increasing hassle so i stopped doing it except under the unfortunate circumstances of acquaintances of mine dying on their bikes as memorial rides....

i also did it once in nyc and there were nypd everywhere trying to arrest people and helicopters above us...(there were about 40 people and it was january haha)

its kinda an empowering exercise, or can be, and lets be honest, the chances of mutual respect on the roads is slim in the foreseeable future, so in the abscence of being a total dick to people, i dont really buy the idea of it being so awful, but then again im a contrary bastard

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Do you tell them to cycle on the road with all its hazards.
    This week I just started my eldest riding to school (9 years), accompanied by me (with a trailer with the two smaller ones in). Some of our route has to be on the road, and in housing estates, she's safer there (cars pulling out of drives don't see midgets speeding along the pavement).
    At the start of the week, I used a Barbie(tm) toy bike (pink) and an Ikea rug with a town street plan on it, and went over road positioning with her. So far, so good...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I agree with Tonto, I'm quite happy on the road thanks and don't need any "facilities." I don't have a problem with them, they can be useful for children or in rare cases when actually well designed for other cyclists too, but don't make them compulsory.

Just back from a holiday cycling across France and the difference in attitude there was a real eye opener. Noticed these two signs at the side of the road, reminding drivers to leave at least 1.5m when overtaking, but even without this sort of thing drivers were universally courteous and overtook carefully. I've cycled in Spain a fair bit before and thought that a lot better than here but France was just cycle heaven in terms of motorist respect.

th_15m-1.jpg th_15m-2.jpg

blorg wrote: »
    I've cycled in Spain a fair bit before and thought that a lot better than here but France was just cycle heaven in terms of motorist respect.

I much prefer cycling in Spain and its not just the weather. I don't think I've ever been beeped and in the past few years I can only think of one or two instances of motorists passing too close. They have shag all cycle lanes over there, none at all in the built up urban areas I'm familiar with. When they do have cycle lanes they do them in style. Here's a blown up version of my avatar:

237690924_c8d535dfa7.jpg?v=0

It's more like a cycle road and runs alongside a dual carriageway for about 30km. There's no footpaths nearby and you can only access it via the road, which means it doesn't double up as the local dog walking, jogging track. It's continuous too, which means that it runs over or under junctions and roundabouts. In Irish terms, it would be the equivalent of having a separate road for bikes along the length of the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

It's more like a cycle road and runs alongside a dual carriageway for about 30km. There's no footpaths nearby and you can only access it via the road, which means it doesn't double up as the local dog walking, jogging track. It's continuous too, which means that it runs over or under junctions and roundabouts. In Irish terms, it would be the equivalent of having a separate road for bikes along the length of the M50.

Class. It looks like cycling heaven.

When they do have cycle lanes they do them in style.
    Now *thats* the kind of bike lane I could live with!
    BTW, why are all the clouds a funny blue colour?

Here's an idea of how he public view cyclists. It's not just drivers either

http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=33149

(I wouldn't put much value to what's written on internet forums)

Pollution. Congestion. Daily carnage on the roads. And what is getting all these people worked up? Cyclists. I guess a simple Pareto analysis is beyond them?

I've just read the first page or two there and I'd tend to agree with most of the posters there. The majority of cyclists on the roads in Dublin are either ignorant of the rules of the road or don't feel they should apply to them.

• Advertisement

hahah some quality anti-cyclist propaganda on that link

Advertisement