Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there still a dublin critical mass ride?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 drcopernicus

el tonto wrote: »
    I've just read the first page or two there and I'd tend to agree with most of the posters there. The majority of cyclists on the roads in Dublin are either ignorant of the rules of the road or don't feel they should apply to them.

That NotDevsSon is a liar of outstanding gumption, however. My hat is off to him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That NotDevsSon is a liar of outstanding gumption, however. My hat is off to him.

Have you clashed with him before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 drcopernicus

Have you clashed with him before?

No, but I know the amonial tang of bull**** when it does a Bisto gravy under my nostrils. His Drumcondra tale is hilarious. The sheer volume of crumpos among his immediate social circle is incredible. Everything on snopes happened to someone's friend too, dontchakno.

Also, discretion is better part of valour when considering a "clash" with someone on politics dot ie.

"Hey, I'm vulnerable here!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The majority of cyclists on the roads in Dublin are either ignorant of the rules of the road or don't feel they should apply to them.
    The majority of people in general are ignorant of a lot of the rules of the road, there is nothing special about siting on a contraption with 2 wheels that suddenly makes you an ignorant nutcase. Many roadusers know the rules and break them still, IME pedestrians are the worst for it (if you set foot on places intended for vehicles, including bicycles, I would class you as a roaduser), then cyclists, then motorcyclists, then other motorists.

And if you cannot realise why this is the case then I would be shocked, simple common sense tells me why people break these laws, and why the gardai do not enforce these laws to the letter. I would say every second or third day on my commute the gardai see me breaking the law, and are probably glad to see me do it, as my "law breaking" puts me and others in more safety and aids the flow of traffic. A lot of the time I have to break the law because of themselves!

Verb posted a video showing people breaking lights, nothing surprising at all there, dunno they they bothered recording it, a far greater % pedestrians break lights and I see pedestrians do far more dangerous stuff than what was shown in the clip. Thing is the majority of people are pedestrians so they cannot moan about them, they want a group they do not "belong to" that they can bitch about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

seamus wrote: »
    Until someone comes up with an idea that doesn't put cycling into an "Us -v- Them" perspective, you're never going to get the general public to agree that cycling is a good thing.
    That's a good point, but do you think it is correct to portray the general public as a driving public? A huge amount of the public rely entirely on public transport.
    I'd disagree. I think it is precisely cycling specific infrastructure that creates a lack of respect among motorists. It reinforces their belief that bikes don't belong on the road and that they should be segregated away from other traffic. The more bike lanes we get painted onto footpaths, the more motorists there are going to be beeping at us because we are 'in the way'.
    That's ridiculous. Cycling lanes on roads are a convenient blessing for the most part. Cars and buses have their own lanes. Pedestrians have their lane (the footpath), so why shouldn't we get our own cycle lanes?

On dual carriageways, why would you want to be cycling on the road when you could get to cycle on a raised track? The cars are going quite fast on roads like that, and because of the infrequency of traffic lights I don't see a problem with these kinds of cycle track.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

rubadub wrote: »
    The majority of people in general are ignorant of a lot of the rules of the road, there is nothing special about siting on a contraption with 2 wheels that suddenly makes you an ignorant nutcase.

Unlike cyclists, most motorists are able to a.) stop at a red light, b.) signal when changing lanes, c.) understand the concept of yielding and right of way.
    Many roadusers know the rules and break them still, IME pedestrians are the worst for it

Pedestrians are crap too, but the discussion was about cyclists.
    ...my "law breaking" puts me and others in more safety and aids the flow of traffic.

So you and not the law now are the arbiter of what to do on the road.
    Húrin wrote: »
    Cycling lanes on roads are a convenient blessing for the most part. Cars and buses have their own lanes. Pedestrians have their lane (the footpath), so why shouldn't we get our own cycle lanes?

They're completely useless because they are utterly unenforceable, often on the worst part of the road, and corral you into the edge even if you need to change lane.
    Húrin wrote: »
    On dual carriageways, why would you want to be cycling on the road when you could get to cycle on a raised track? The cars are going quite fast on roads like that, and because of the infrequency of traffic lights I don't see a problem with these kinds of cycle track.

Dual carriageways are some of the safest roads to ride on in my opinion. The hard shoulder means that you are well away from the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

i was on a CM ride in budapest, 60,000 cyclists through the centre of the city, slow moving but amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

They're completely useless because they are utterly unenforceable, often on the worst part of the road, and corral you into the edge even if you need to change lane.
    Often cycle lanes are not in the worst part of the road. I agree with the latter criticism, which is why the mandatory use rule is bad.

They're usually right at the edge, which seems to be the prime location for potholes and badly patched up roadworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

obviously the mandatory use rule is stupid. bikers pay income and vat taxes just like drivers and damage roads far less per km use. same rights, same responsibilities with the caveat of safety of biker in mind. in other words take the lane if you need it and let the horns honk all they want

• Advertisement
Advertisement