Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USC @ Ore St

• 26-09-2008 3:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Oregon State vs USC on Setanta/NASN2 right now, highly recommend you have a look if you're still up!
    Beavers rush offence destroying Trojans defence right now, 14-0, 6 minutes into the 2nd 1/4. USC need to pick it up or risk a big upset loss to the underdogs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Turning into a rout!

This game is being shown on NASN at 12:30pm and 8pm tomorrow evening - don't look at the spoilers if you're able to watch it there, well worth a view.
    21-0 to the Beavers, USC don't know what hit them. Offence has been on the field about 5 minutes in the whole first half, 1 turnover (fumble from McKnight).

An interesting statistic about 10 mins into the second: yards on 1st down: USC 0.4, Ore 7.3.

Can't wait for the 2nd half!

End of the 3rd, very intriguing game.
    USC bring it back to 21-14, much better by Trojans defence stopping the rush.

4th 1/4 will be very tight, I call
    USC Trojans
    to win, but a very close thing,
    OSU Beavers
    can still do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I just turned it on when I came in - there were about 8 mins to go.

Exciting ending,
    once Oregon got the interception and Rodgers rushed for the 2yd TD I thought it was pretty much over, although the missed conversion is something that could haunt them! It looks like it may be a lot closer is the Trojans can score here

And
    there's one TD to bring them within 6 - the old onside kick is coming up to give USC a chance at winning this. The fans have already invaded the sidelines, and the coach was doused with Gatorade before the USC touchdown :eek:

Poor onside kick, although good hands by the Beavers. Looks like they can run the clock down from here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

27-21 for a Beaver win. Trojans all crying in their beers.:(

• Advertisement

College FB > NFL - always great to see a pitch invasion!

There'll be a big night in Corvallis tonight!

What a super game!

Bit of a rant - anyone got a link to a video so we can see it in context?
    Look, the bottom line is that we have some very highly paid athletes on this squad, If you’re making millions of dollars a year to play collegiate football, then you have an obligation to your team and your fans to really step up in key situations. Our team did not do that, and I want to apologize to the boosters who are paying good money for these players

Sanchez is making, what, $2.4 mill, $2.45, something like that? That’s big time money. He doesn’t think we’d rather have a guy in there making only $1.8 or $1.9 that could save us a lot? Maybe we could even use that extra $500 grand on a linebacker or something like that. Or a giant bungee cord that we can tie to the back of Oregon State’s running back. Anything.

http://www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com/2008/09/pete-carroll-our-players-make-way-too-much-money-to-lose-to-a-team-like-oregon-state.html

(I didn't realise the college players could earn that much!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Trojan wrote: »
    Wow, call me naive, but I didn't think they earned anything. I presumed it was amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Did not see that coming. Especially after how well USC played against ohio state. Maybe we're in for another year of shocks in the college game. Hopefully anyway. Sure made last year interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

WTF?

If Georgia and/or OU win out or lose 1 game a piece, then surely that rules USC out of the BCS title game?

(Assuming Georgia loses to say Florida or LSU and OU to say Texas or Texas Tech)

Hell, it may even be an all SEC title game?

And to think, Penn State destroyed Oregon State a few weeks ago (granted it was in Happy Valley)-Penn State/Ohio State will be interesting!

Bit of a rant - anyone got a link to a video so we can see it in context?

http://www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com/2008/09/pete-carroll-our-players-make-way-too-much-money-to-lose-to-a-team-like-oregon-state.html

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

davyjose wrote: »
    Wow, call me naive, but I didn't think they earned anything. I presumed it was amateur.

When they talk about earnings they are not being paid. Look at it this way The cost to go to a D1 school can be up to 120k a year depending on the college so if they college pay their scholarship over 4 years thats nearly half a million. And that would be the basic scholarship. Not all college players earn anymore but those who are with big colleges earn sponsorship money. Which based over 4 years can put them up to alot of dough. They dont earn wages but its everything on top that gives them that kind of money.

And of course there is the under the table wages that the bigger colleges pay their players.

And of course there is the under the table wages that the bigger colleges pay their players.

Which is exactly what we're talking about here.

Redsoxfan, why the rolleyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

When they talk about earnings they are not being paid. Look at it this way The cost to go to a D1 school can be up to 120k a year depending on the college so if they college pay their scholarship over 4 years thats nearly half a million. And that would be the basic scholarship. Not all college players earn anymore but those who are with big colleges earn sponsorship money. Which based over 4 years can put them up to alot of dough. They dont earn wages but its everything on top that gives them that kind of money.

Yeah I figured they'd be very well looked after by the colleges and the sponsors (I remember Joey Harrington's Times Square Heisman Poster, which couldn't have been cheap), but I thought the under the table stuff was a big no-no in american college/amateur sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    WTF?

If Georgia and/or OU win out or lose 1 game a piece, then surely that rules USC out of the BCS title game?

(Assuming Georgia loses to say Florida or LSU and OU to say Texas or Texas Tech)

Hell, it may even be an all SEC title game?

And to think, Penn State destroyed Oregon State a few weeks ago (granted it was in Happy Valley)-Penn State/Ohio State will be interesting!

Whoever wins the SEC will be in the title game. It will not be an all SEC game, can't happen with the SEC championship... I see 1 SEC team, and probably still USC (if they win out from here...) unless we have some undefeated team...

C'mon the gators!!

Which is exactly what we're talking about here.

Redsoxfan, why the rolleyes?

Em, the rest of that website you linked to-the stories don't exactly seem to be 'plausible'-so I doubt Pete Carroll said anything remotely close to what was quoted above.

E.g.

Confusion on BCS rankings (a single elimination basketball game?)

Satan to Yankees fans-it's out of my hands

Miami Hurricaines thinking of changing their name (because of Hurricaine Ike)

If Pete Carrol had a problem with what his players were allegedly making, surely he would have called out Reggie Bush after the 2005 BCS game, given the rumblings that went on long afterwards...

Hence the :rolleyes:

Or did you actually know it was a tongue in cheek article-if so, I guess I should :rolleyes: myself!

dulpit wrote: »
    Whoever wins the SEC will be in the title game. It will not be an all SEC game, can't happen with the SEC championship... I see 1 SEC team, and probably still USC (if they win out from here...) unless we have some undefeated team...

Is that a fact, or are you just presuming that 2 SEC teams can't meet in the BCS title game? Let's say that Georgia beats everyone on their schedule and then faces 1 loss LSU in the SEC championship (which it has already beaten), which it loses in OT or to a last second field goal or something-Georgia and LSU would both have 1 loss, and could claim to be 1 and 2 in the country (assuming no-one in , say, the Big 10 or Big 12 is undefeated)?

(I know that 2 teams from the same conference have never faced off in the BCS decider, but wonder is it actually possible)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Not a fact, just presuming the voters wouldn't end up having a team that has lost at least once (to the winner of SEC) face off against the team that beat them, in the next game they will play...

dulpit wrote: »
    Not a fact, just presuming the voters wouldn't end up having a team that has lost at least once (to the winner of SEC) face off against the team that beat them, in the next game they will play...

Good point. Depends on the nature of the loss I guess. Wikipedia (not authoritative I know) suggests that 2 teams from the same conference could face off in the title game. Still highly unlikely I know.

Anyway, it certainly won't be 2 teams from the Pac 10 this year!

• Advertisement

Wow. What a weekend. Georgia don't look like they belong in the National Title game after last night. Nick Saban is proving to be worth that $32m so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

NCAA Athletes do get tuition, room and board paid for as well as their books and tutors. Tuition at the most expensive schools is just over 40,000 p/y so many athletes are getting good value for playing sports.

Student Athletes are not allowed to earn money from endorsements or sponsorships related to the sport they are on scholarship for. That's why there are no player names included on the NCAA playstation games etc.

Coaches earn most of their compensation from endorsements/sponsorships though.

There are quite a few scandals about players receiving improper benefits like Maurice Clarett's car, Reggie Bush's Apartment,and an OU player being paid for hours he didn't work at a part time job. Universities can be penalized if players receive money or other benefits although it is believed to still occur quite often.

Here's a link to a recent story about some of these issues in collegiate athetics
    http://media.www.miamistudent.net/media/storage/paper776/news/2008/09/12/Sports/Ncaa-Needs.To.Allow.Athlete.Endorsements-3428020.shtml

MC_G wrote: »
    NCAA Athletes do get tuition, room and board paid for as well as their books and tutors. Tuition at the most expensive schools is just over 40,000 p/y so many athletes are getting good value for playing sports.

Student Athletes are not allowed to earn money from endorsements or sponsorships related to the sport they are on scholarship for. That's why there are no player names included on the NCAA playstation games etc.

Coaches earn most of their compensation from endorsements/sponsorships though.

There are quite a few scandals about players receiving improper benefits like Maurice Clarett's car, Reggie Bush's Apartment,and an OU player being paid for hours he didn't work at a part time job. Universities can be penalized if players receive money or other benefits although it is believed to still occur quite often.

Here's a link to a recent story about some of these issues in collegiate athetics
    http://media.www.miamistudent.net/media/storage/paper776/news/2008/09/12/Sports/Ncaa-Needs.To.Allow.Athlete.Endorsements-3428020.shtml

They are "Not Allowed" but in the bigger colleges and big name players you would be naive to to think they are not getting endorsements. I know alot of college coaches who will tell you the same. There is ways around these rules and the NCAA have failed to control it. Ask yourself how some of these guys drive escolades and the like and have fancy watches and designers clothing. The NCAA know these problems persist and ask any football coach they know it cant be controlled after all the NCAA wouldnt be making its money if it all stopped tomorrow. There are very wealthy Alumni figures for every college.

My post said as much, ie Claretts car, etc...and untold other things all in the shady world of recruiting.

There are no sponsorships though, like Pat White can't be paid by Nike/Gatorade/Disneyworld to endorse their products.

There are no sponsorships though, like Pat White can't be paid by Nike/Gatorade/Disneyworld to endorse their products.

No but the college can and Im pretty sure the colleges pass funds on to their players the top ones at least. There has been schools over the years as low as D3 schools accused of it. Anything to get the best players and get that championship.

I'm not trying to argue with you about players getting improper funds.

In the first post I quoted from you, you said that some players at big colleges earn sponsorship money, and then said that there were under the table wages too.

Players do not get sponsorship money AND under the table wages, if they get any money at all, it's ALL under the table. Players are not sponsored.

Players do not get sponsorship money AND under the table wages, if they get any money at all, it's ALL under the table. Players are not sponsored.

Im not going to argue this point either if that is what you firmly believe I will respect your opinion. I have heard different. And a wage is a wage whetehr its under the table or not and these said wages would include any sponsorships. But whatever.

We both have the same opinion I think. We both believe(Know) players sometimes receive money/goods etc that they aren't supposed to get under NCAA rules.

Maybe my mistake, but in your first post it looked to me like you were saying that players were allowed to receive sponsorships and endorsements as well as their academic scholarships/expenses which is not the case.

I never said or tried to say that some players didn't get money or perks from whatever source (boosters/local busineses/etc) But strictly speaking players are not supposed to even accept something as small as a hamburger from a take away if it's being given to them because they are an athlete at a university.

Do they?? Yes, like i said about Clarett's Car, and I'm sure hundreds of other things at most colleges every year.

Are they supposed to?? No.

Can a player be sponsored by McDonalds or Nike? No.

But Whatever I'll Respect Your Opinion......

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Confusion on BCS rankings (a single elimination basketball game?)

Or did you actually know it was a tongue in cheek article-if so, I guess I should :rolleyes: myself!

lol, sorry :)

I love the basketball elimination idea, far more straightforward than the existing system! The best bit:
    The plan for the tournament is simple. The top seven teams in the BCS standings will each get a bid into the tournament. The eighth slot will be determined in a play-in game between Hawaii and Notre Dame.

"We realize that Notre Dame hasn’t had the greatest season this year," said Zellwig, referring to the Irish’s one-win season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement