Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulse Security - a very pleasent and professional service

Options
  • 26-09-2008 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

I was at a society event last night and had a number of run ins with security, all of them pleasant, professional and lenient.

During the event we got a bit rowdy and started to mosh - services simply asked us to calm down and that was it, the event continued.

After the event we were singing (read roaring) outside the student centre and all they asked was that we not be too loud - not to stop or move on.

I saw some guy in the pit start to scale walls and run around screaming. Two security staff asked him to be careful and that was it. ISS hassled people for less in the past.

On the way to the bus my friend and I ran into two different security staff while we had open drink. They asked us to dispose of it or down it.

At no point did I feel threatened nor did they look for student cards or ask us to leave campus. I thought the level of security was appropriate.

Now perhaps these are different personnel, or there has been a change in policy or UCD just wanted a firm hand in the opening week (or maybe Im just so lovable I bring out the best in people :P) but I dont think Im going to be calling for them to be replaced any time soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

lolcats-funny-picture-lalalalala.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

What on earth makes you think this is a troll? There have been a couple of threads on here recently about the new security staff, and articles in the observer. All the feedback so far has been negative, and Im giving an honest account of my dealings with them last night where they were very pleasent and professional.

If you've gotten nothing but abuse from them, Id imagine the problem is on your end fullstop, a post like that hardly fills me with confindence re: your maturity.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Nice macro, but the Kaptain is a long time poster here and is definitely not known for trolling... In fact, he has often been known to use (gasp!) rational argument in support of his points...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I had a run in with one of these security guys who was on duty outside the forum last night. Don't know if this is in reference to the same event, it was quite early in the night, but he was actually a very nice guy. He asked to see our student cards on the way in and my friend didn't have one, nor did she have any ID. I was expecting him to be unreasonable, because of the bad rep Security have been getting, but all I said was "She's a UCD student alright and over 18," and he let her in no further questions asked. Anytime we walked in or out of the forum for the rest of the night, for whatever reason, he was very pleasant altogether.
    I have found several security guys, however, to act innappropriately, especially around female students, behaviour quite similar to what you'd expect from a building site. I also find many of the security who patrol res, to be quite threatening and ultimately useless when people are acting the bollocks.
    I'd say it's a case of some of them are proper a55es and some are quite friendly and reasonable. Something must be done to weed out the problematic ones though.

What on earth makes you think this is a troll? There have been a couple of threads on here recently about the new security staff, and articles in the observer. All the feedback so far has been negative, and Im giving an honest account of my dealings with them last night where they were very pleasent and professional.

If you've gotten nothing but abuse from them, Id imagine the problem is on your end fullstop, a post like that hardly fills me with confindence re: your maturity.
    Where have I ever said I get nothing but abuse from them? I've only had dealings with this new crowd on 2 occasions.....once when they tried to take a bottle of non-alcoholic Kopparberg from me and the other when one of them asked me where the Clonskeagh gate was. Imagine that, the people in charge of security on campus didn't know where the Clonskeagh gate was....they must have had rigorous training.

• Advertisement

Why did you think the post was a troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

Feed this troll. Anything nice?

Seriously, some of the students that complain about pulse security, most likely have never been searched at gunpoint(a reasonable course of action imo) or being detained based on race only.

I think they are spoiled

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The post is not a troll [/mod]

Why did you think the post was a troll?
    That was intended to be tongue-in-cheek.

Fionnanc wrote: »

Seriously, some of the students that complain about pulse security, most likely have never been searched at gunpoint(a reasonable course of action imo) or being detained based on race only.

I think they are spoiled
    What has being searched at gunpoint got to do with anything? This is a university not a bloody war zone :confused:

• Advertisement

I think they are spoiled
    I have in France, on both counts.

I have been searched at gunpoint in IReland and the UK. Both were reasonable under the circumstances. I was detained in Zimbabwe 6 years ago.
    Neither were warzones-ever been to one? Luckily I haven't.

I have been searched at gunpoint in IReland and the UK. Both were reasonable under the circumstances. I was detained in Zimbabwe 6 years ago.
    Neither were warzones-ever been to one? Luckily I haven't.

Well you must have been up to no good to get searched at gunpoint in ireland

Frecnh cops , escpecially Interior Ministry Gendarmes look dangerous. Also noted the lack of ethnic minorities in town centres as compared to UK and Ireland even though France has millions of non-white citizens. Is this due to police behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The new UCD security are great. They are friendly enough to let you down cans before throwing them away but do there job to the extent that if they see you struggling to unlock your bike lock at night they'll make sure it's your bike first and then offer you the light from their torch so you can see the code. Haven't had one problem yet

N was acting lawfully. I work in the Finglas area and must have matched a description of somebody else. I also remember the family car being stopped and searched by Guards and soldiers when Dessie O HAre was on the run. Was searched at gunpoint in England after setting off an airport alarm shortly after some IRA scum murdered 2 schoolchildren in Warington. Scary, but necessary and I co-operated fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

This has been my experience of Pulse also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I've had similar experiences. Some seem to be really nice, although a few of them in the residences seem to be a little less friendly, but I wouldn't blame them for being pissed off at patrolling the residences.

My only issue would be that they seem to hang around in huge groups at time. There is no need for 5-10 of them to all be hanging around the one place. It can be intimidating and if nothing else it means that there are not enough guards elsewhere.

Advertisement