Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reverse Camera in Test

Options
  • 26-09-2008 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭

I have my test coming up and the car I'll be doing my test in has a reverse camera in it. I find it really really helpful for my reverse around the corner as there's a point on the camera where I know the kerb should be. However I don't depend on it, I can do my reverse normally but I would be a bit slower at completing it. It really just adds reassurance to doing it right on the day. It doesn't distract me as it's in the same line of vision as the left wing mirror. I can check both pretty easily.

My question is will my tester cover the screen with something? It can't be turned off and the screen displays temp controls and the radio, i.e. if it's warm on the day of my test I'll need to see the screen to cool the car down.

And if he doesnt cover it will he mind seeing my eyes checking the screen?

I have asked my instructor this and she said it should be no problem once I ensure to do all the usual checks also but I'm just checking with the wonderful world of boards.

Thanks.

p.s. it's also great for my turnaround as the car has a rubbish turn on it and it gives me the maximum space by allowing me see the kerb behind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Your instructor is correct, additional aids are allowed, but can't eliminate all the regular checks that you have to do while completing the manoeuvres. The examiner will not cover it with anything. Just make sure to check your blind spot before starting your turn in the reverse around the corner manoeuvre/turnabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Petrolium Hat

You shouldn't use it at all during to be honest. It's a convenience control similar to having someone standing on the curb directing you. It's fine outside the test. I'd say mention the fact that you have a reverse camera and that you have no problem with it being covered but that it is needed for secondary controls on a normal drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Your instructor is correct, additional aids are allowed, but can't eliminate all the regular checks that you have to do while completing the manoeuvres. The examiner will not cover it with anything. Just make sure to check your blind spot before starting your turn in the reverse around the corner manoeuvre/turnabout.

Ok brill, should I mention it to the tester or just carry on as normal?

You shouldn't use it at all during to be honest. It's a convenience control similar to having someone standing on the curb directing you. It's fine outside the test. I'd say mention the fact that you have a reverse camera and that you have no problem with it being covered but that it is needed for secondary controls on a normal drive.

Well it would be difficult to not use as I can't turn it off and it's in my line of vision to the left wing mirror for the reverse. I wouldn't necessarily volunteer to cover it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't mention it, but there's no harm in doing so. Can i ask what car your driving, nissan primera ?? Just curious!:pac::)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It might be worth practicing without using it - cover it with a piece of paper yourself or something. I very much doubt the tester would mark you down at all for looking at it once or twice, but remember that he is testing you on your ability to drive any vehicle - not just the one you're in. Most cars don't have any kind of reversing aid except for your mirrors.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mention it, but there's no harm in doing so. Can i ask what car your driving, nissan primera ?? Just curious!:pac::)

Ok :) Yes that's the car exactly, how did you know? Cos I said it has a rubbish turn on it? Thanks for the replies :)

seamus wrote: »
    It might be worth practicing without using it - cover it with a piece of paper yourself or something. I very much doubt the tester would mark you down at all for looking at it once or twice, but remember that he is testing you on your ability to drive any vehicle - not just the one you're in. Most cars don't have any kind of reversing aid except for your mirrors.

Very true, I'll cover it up for practice over the weekend, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

There is no need to cover it or even mention it to the tester (dont worry they will notice it :)).

The main point is that you cannot just use that reversing aid as your observation point, you will still be expected to look over your shoulders to check blind spots, use your mirrors etc. If you dont, you will be marked down for observation. It just gives a little help but dont rely on it completely.

Same applies for example to automatic handbrakes in the VW Passat etc, makes hill starts easy but you still need to use proper observation.

Best of luck with the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Same applies for example to automatic handbrakes in the VW Passat etc, makes hill starts easy .

Just curious, how does an automatic handbrake work? I'm trying to work out how it would know when you need it up or down:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sunnyside wrote: »
    Just curious, how does an automatic handbrake work? I'm trying to work out how it would know when you need it up or down:confused:
    I'm open to correction but I presume they are the same as the ones fitted in some buses that I've driven. The parking brake is applied electrically by pressing a button on the dashboard. When the driver presses the accelerator it releases automatically.

(It's great on a vehicle with auto transmission but I'm not sure if it's available or of any benefit in a manual).

Anybody?

Basically the electronic handbrake works using a button on the dashboard (or down in the center console in the new Audi). To apply the handbrake you push the button and to release it you either just drive off normally and when you get to the 'biting point' the handbrake will automatically release. Alternatively you can release it manually by just pushing the button again but you must have the foot brake depressed (similar to taking an auto out of 'Park') for this to work.

Works well for most cases, only downside is for example multi-story car parks and stop-start traffic on the up ramps, it takes a second or 2 for the handbrake to engage fully once you push the button so can be bit of a pain there, usually end up just holding on the clutch unless really stopping for a bit!

• Advertisement

Just as an update. I had my test yesterday, failed on a junction though.

I said nothing to the tester about the camera. My reverse went perfectly and as it happened I literally only glanced at the camera twice, didn't really use it in the end. I found it funny though as the tester didn't take his eyes off the camera as he couldnt see the corner through my wing mirror. Was delighted it went so well, it aided my turnabout for tucking right back all the way to the kerb to give me as much space as possible.

Hard luck on not getting it but put it down to experience and next time round you will know what to expect on the day.

Best advice is probably to apply straight away again, dont let it put you off, just learn from whatever mistake you made.

Advertisement