Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin, Sept 27th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah should be

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Gwan so. Any ideas for a route? If I'm feeling energetic I might go out earlier and try and catch the rest of you near Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Gwan so. Any ideas for a route? If I'm feeling energetic I might go out earlier and try and catch the rest of you near Dundrum.

No idea for a route atm, but thinking one I did a while ago turning off the Enniskerry Road just after Sandymount up a little road that's got a nice bit of a climb, and then a descent of the devils elbow (I think) and out onto the Glencree road just above Enniskerry -we can push on from there over Sally Gap, or turn off and head home via Stocking Lane or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

No idea for a route atm, but thinking one I did a while ago turning off the Enniskerry Road just after Sandymount up a little road that's got a nice bit of a climb, and then a descent of the devils elbow (I think) and out onto the Glencree road just above Enniskerry -we can push on from there over Sally Gap, or turn off and head home via Stocking Lane or something

I might be in depending on a number of factors. I know the route and until recently quite liked it...went over on the devil's elbow last time I was down that way - didn't know it was named until now!

I might be in depending on a number of factors. I know the route and until recently quite liked it...went over on the devil's elbow last time I was down that way - didn't know it was named until now!

It's easier going down than up I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Grand job. If I'm not in Dundrum, I'll look for ye along this route.

Devils Elbow: Only place where I've actually gone off the road on a bike. Wasn't my finest hour.

Have never done it going up...would be quite interested to give it a lash! Went down it when it was wet - there's absolutely no grip at all, ridiculously greasy

Was damp when we went down too... steep enough to make me nervous, and that was going downhill! The sharp left hand at the bottom is nasty!

The sharp left hand at the bottom is nasty!

Excellent spot for road surfing as I discovered

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Do you mean up Burrow Road after the roundabout, coming out onto Balledmonduff Road? It's a great climb that, I am very fond of it- very near to where I work so I do it most lunchtimes.

• Advertisement

Was trying to plot it on the map, and I think that's it -fairly long, but not too steep, comes to a crossroads by a pub :)

I liked it too actually -nice and quiet

We could continue taking in that mad hill emty likes and along Djouce.

Maybe continuing with something like this - taking in what must be the best ascent to Sally Gap, over Lugalla, with that lovely 20% section :D, down to Laragh and then home over the Wicklow Gap, avoiding the N81 on the way home?

EDIT: Or this easier/shorter option that skips the gap and goes by Lough Dan (bit of a hill there too.)

I'd be up for that -need to get a bit more climbing in before Thursday

blorg wrote: »
    We could continue taking in that mad hill emty likes and along Djouce.

Heaven forbid that there be any flat bits.
    ..with that lovely 20% section....

Which bit is 20 per cent?

Heaven forbid that there be any flat bits.

Which bit is 20 per cent?

All training for the Alps -they aren't renowned for being flat! :)

The 20% bit is the bit I'll be walking on...... maybe :p

The 20% bit is the bit I'll be walking on...... maybe :p

Seriously, I'm confused. I've been up Luggala loads of times and more than once with you lot and while it's steep there is nothing like 20 per cent/:confused:

Looks like I'm out, enjoy the mysterious 20%!

Seriously, I'm confused. I've been up Luggala loads of times and more than once with you lot and while it's steep there is nothing like 20 per cent/:confused:
    I refer to the bit I hit 89km/h coming down off the Wicklow 200. Climbing back up, just after the carpark. It's short but my altimeter does record a 20% ramp there. Averaged of course it is nothing near 20% as you say. I will take back my "20%" and replace with "internet 20%" :D

I refer to the bit I hit 89km/h coming down off the Wicklow 200. Climbing back up, just after the carpark. It's short but my altimeter does record a 20% ramp there. Averaged of course it is nothing near 20% as you say. I will take back my "20%" and replace with "internet 20%" :D

That's it, I'm bringing surveying equipment with me tomorrow. No way is that 20%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Lookit, by any standards, it is what my late grandmother (god rest her) would describe as "a hoor of a climb". Can we not leave there?;)

rflynnr wrote: »
    Lookit, by any standards, it is what my late grandmother (god rest her) would describe as "a hoor of a climb". Can we not leave there?;)

If it weren't for pointless arguments this forum would be dead.

That's it, I'm bringing surveying equipment with me tomorrow. No way is that 20%.

It'll fit nicely on the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

is the overnight super spin not a runner then?

I won't be able to do the overnight thing this weekend but I could any weekend from October 11 if people are feeling hardy heading into the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

barrabus wrote: »
    is the overnight super spin not a runner then?

Vaguely curious about this. Was this the trip to Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I'll be at the Greyhound track for 10am, if I don't go out tonight (althought its a free bar...:rolleyes:).

72hundred wrote: »
    (althought its a free bar...:rolleyes:).

I'll be there at any time you say... where is it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm out this week and next, boo-urns!

@ El Tonto - I would imagine that it is not compulsory for membership to turn up at the first Orwell spin? I will be able to make it for Sunday the 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

id be into this but im way out of shape

Advertisement