Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next In City Square

• 26-09-2008 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭

I know it's probably common knowledge that Next are leaving City Square, but does anyone know the reasons behind it?
    Are they leaving before Christmas?
    Are they moving everything out to to the Ardkeen store?

another loss for City Square and Waterford City.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

At a completely wild guess I'd say it's 'cause 1. they don't carry the full stock/selection that they do in Ardkeen. 2. The Ardkeen store is a bigger store.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Shame, its a blow for the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

there are shop queing up or the lease of NEXT ---- dont worry - city square will survive!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

whats NEXT to close in the town?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

once again the city centre is in trouble...not good times ahead for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Waterford city centre is terrible anyway. Unless youre into man u jerseys and tracksuit bottoms and horrible nike running shoes you are out of luck.

I can see why everyone reckons its more of a big town than a city. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ya its a small town in the uk becase a sub of manhaster sailford has 100,000 in it 2 shoping canters man u 8 hotals 2 5 star hotals so waterford is just a small town by me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

xbox36016 wrote: »
    ya its a small town in the uk becase a sub of manhaster sailford has 100,000 in it 2 shoping canters man u 8 hotals 2 5 star hotals so waterford is just a small town by me

Sorry?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

xbox36016 wrote: »

WTF.... english please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Passed same shop today, shop empty and gutted,total refit or closing down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

H Samuels are refitting - was int here last Friday and the staff were chatting about it preping the store - so glad to say it's not another empty space anyway!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

depaor wrote: »
    H Samuels are refitting - was int here last Friday and the staff were chatting about it preping the store - so glad to say it's not another empty space anyway!

Badly needed! Great news to see them refitting the store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

apparently from what i was told and don,t know if there any truth to it but homebase are apparently closing and that next were goin in there?????????????? anyone else hear this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Heard the same thing, apparently not doing the kind of business they thought.Haven't heard anything about Next going in there though, but wouldn't be suprised,always seems to be busy in there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I wouldnt be surprised if Homebase were struggling with the likes of B&Q and Woodies in the town..

So maybe they might be shutting down and Next taking over that unit as Next out in Ardkeen always seem to be doing well as any time I'm passing when heading to Tescos, there is always a crowd in there so makes much more sense to move their operations to there rather than paying top dollar for a premises in city square and not be able to offer their complete range..

Tox

Id imagine Homebase would be doing well - there only opened and have a bigger financial baking compared to the smaller folks. Id just assume they would respond to the competition :) If next are leaving the square, its because the space isnt as good as out in Ardkeen. I do often wonder though, if we had such space in the city center -- would they open up, or still move outside the city center where parking is better and they have more room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Sully wrote: »
    Id imagine Homebase would be doing well

Stores like homebase will always look busy as a lot of people just go in there for a look to pass some time. And I think morris's are the only DIY store that are really doing well (Read it somehwere I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Homebase is alright for some things but same as Woodies and B&Q et al, trade stuff is just too dear i.e paint, wood and such.Suppose people that only do the odd bit of d.i.y. might buy some of the stuff but compared to the likes of morris's the prices are too high.The furniture out of alot of these places are fairly poor quality as well considering the price.Mainly just flatpack stuff that you'd pick up cheaper in Ikea and Argos.Apparently they've been very quiet lately , possibly to do with B&Q opening.
    Shame it might close though, would feel sorry for the staff in there, they always seem very nice and helpful any time I've been there.

Morris's will always do better because most if not all the construction Co.s use them because they are more willing to give discounts to them and individuals when you ask unlike Homebase and B&Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

trishw78 wrote: »
    Morris's will always do better because most if not all the construction Co.s use them because they are more willing to give discounts to them and individuals when you ask unlike Homebase and B&Q.
    very true when it comes to deals and anyway morris,s is locally owned and run not like the big boys like B+Q where there run from across the water and prices are set and can,t be negotiated or deals sought

• Advertisement

and can,t be negotiated or deals sought

Not always true... I know people who have managed to get discounts from Woodies when they asked for the manager. If you try, and I think that B&Q offered discounts for big customers, you may succeed. :)

Sully wrote: »
    Not always true... I know people who have managed to get discounts from Woodies when they asked for the manager. If you try, and I think that B&Q offered discounts for big customers, you may succeed. :)

I tried negotiating a deal with B&Q where I would buy all my paint, semi-solid flooring, attic stairs and anything else I needed if they could do a discount and I was told no way if they did it for one they'd have to do it for all.

He got fairly snotty with me and told me that it would work out cheaper anyway if I bought there, as it happened it didn't.

I tried negotiating a deal with B&Q where I would buy all my paint, semi-solid flooring, attic stairs and anything else I needed if they could do a discount and I was told no way if they did it for one they'd have to do it for all.

He got fairly snotty with me and told me that it would work out cheaper anyway if I bought there, as it happened it didn't.

Bad luck? I know people have definitely gotten it from Woodies, but maybe that's a bit different. I thought I read when they opened (B&Q), in local press, something about discounts for builders etc. :S Funny, probably read something different and am mismatching it now!

Anyway, we are gone far to off topic here so lets swing it back around... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Indeed and I think its good in principle to buy from locally owned businesses where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

I heard Morris's were in trouble, mainly bacause of Trade, too many outstanding bills that are not being paid and I believe they are not the only ones being affected by this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

JLemmon wrote: »
    I heard Morris's were in trouble, mainly bacause of Trade, too many outstanding bills that are not being paid and I believe they are not the only ones being affected by this issue.

Haven't heard anything like that about Morris's, but they are opening a new store in the shopping centre on browns road, by the looks of the works will be at least a week or two beofre it opens, so can't see them being in that much trouble if they are expanding locally..
    best DIY shop in town if you ask me, better and cheaper than the others..

Advertisement