Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tuning Audi A4 2.0 TDI

Options
  • 26-09-2008 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi there ... i've got an Audi A4 S-Line 2.0 TDI (140 bhp) and was thinking of getting it chipped/tuned/remapped ... to give it some extra ooomph and apparently improve the fuel economy. Has anyone ever done this? If so, where did you get it done, what did it cost, did it improve fuel economy etc. etc. etc.?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Have seen a few Audi TDI's with blown dual mass flywheels being blamed on chipping/remapping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

Odgious wrote: »
    Hi there ... i've got an Audi A4 S-Line 2.0 TDI (140 bhp) and was thinking of getting it chipped/tuned/remapped ... to give it some extra ooomph and apparently improve the fuel economy. Has anyone ever done this? If so, where did you get it done, what did it cost, did it improve fuel economy etc. etc. etc.?

Thanks!
    I got my VW done in Limerick and very happy with it. The fuel economy does increase slightly if you drive it easy but you wouldnt really notice any difference to be honest. Doing 100kph on the ennis bypass I get 58mpg average which is pretty good and regularly finish trips at over 50mpg although 40mpg around cities if lucky.

Its quick to get done and the guy in Limerick (PM me for details) will do it for €250 and has good after sale if you've questions or whatever. He'll give you your money back if you're not happy after a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Have seen a few Audi TDI's with blown dual mass flywheels being blamed on chipping/remapping

+1

You'll be putting the clutch amongst other things under a lot more stress as they will be asked to deal with more than the 140 bhp they were designed by Audi to deal with. In other words, these components are more likely to fail than before, and will do so earlier than you might think if you're not careful with the way you drive it.

The engine should have no difficulty however as it is essentially a detuned version of the more powerful 170 bhp 2.0 TDI, so Audi clearly thought the engine was good for 170 bhp anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

E92 wrote: »
    The engine should have no difficulty however as it is essentially a detuned version of the more powerful 170 bhp 2.0 TDI, so Audi clearly thought the engine was good for 170 bhp anyway.

A few people who I know got it done in the UK said that the better tuners over there actually do a specific remap for each engine/clutch/gearbox as the standard 180bhp remap does not take into account millage and wear and tear, One of the tuners would only give a friends car 165bhp as he said the clutch was not strong enough to take 180bhp, he offered to up it for free when he replaced the clutch.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

I'd leave it alone. 140 BHP is plenty for a diesel anyway. The 140 has a BMN engine and the 170 has a BMM engine. There is more of a difference usually in these cars than tuning. They are different engines. Also they usually have different clutches and cv joints and brakes.

You would ruin it for the next lad. You will probably ok. Put it this way. Would you (or anyone else) prefer to buy a standard one or a tuned one if you were buying a second hand car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I say go for it,the 140 bhp engine in the audi needs a remap,its underpowered for such a heavy car,i know of a few guys (albeit not in audis) who have had their 140 tdis remapped,it will see 200bhp easily,the actual engine block and internals will see well over that easily.

DIsclaimer: clutches can fail after remaps,its not the BHP that kills them though its the torque,a new clutch should be good though,it all depends on your driving style though.

THe myth about better fuel economy comes fro mthe fact that because you have more power you don't need to push it on so much,but your car will literally feel like a new car with all that torque so you will be fighting the temptation to push it on "SEE DISCLAIMER ABOVE" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Them Dual Mass Flywheels fall apart anyway with the standard engines, they're been discontinued as a clutch product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Advertisement