Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen treatment Lidl

Options
  • 26-09-2008 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Anyone get this? It was developed for the airline industry I think. It consists of a sort of hard sponge bar to clean the windscreen, some special liquid that repels water and two cloths. It works really well! You don't need your wipers in the rain when you are going fast!

They have some kits left in Lidl in Coolock in Dublin. Let me know how you get on...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

My brother got me some last time it was in.
    I applied it to both my windscreen and my g/f's, works very well. I need to re-apply some now but I'm too lazy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have an ancient bottle of something very similar called Rain-X in the shed, and that's usually where it stays. Not because it doesn't work ... on the contrary, it actually works really well, but it's just a pain in the hole to apply properly and takes a lot of both time and 'elbow grease', something that is currently in short supply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

This stuff is dead easy to apply. I have it on my window for about a month now, no need to reapply yet... Might try it on my snorkeling mask actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Put it on about 2 months ago, very straight forward, was worried about the "sponge" because it is meant to scrape the surface slightly to clean it properly, but it didn't leave any damage :) Needs reapplying now, will be even more useful for the winter. Works just like the instructions said (I think!), most noticable when I hit about 80kph and the water just starts streaming off, pretty effect and you can get away without using wipers much longer, saves on wear there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

it also reduces the amount of bug guts on your windscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Put RainX on my windows before. Pretty good for side and rear windows. Dont put it on your front windscreen though - it destroyed my wipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think it's absolutely useless.

Used it on my camper last time round as it has acres of glass.

Treated windsreen, sidescreens and the big mirrors. The effect on the sidescreens and mirrors lasted all of three rainy days and now the water sticks to it more than it did before, same for dirt.

On the windscreen the wipers made short work of the application ...after the first rain there was no more effect to be seen, other than more smearing than normal.

And it IS bloody hard work to put on correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Put RainX on my windows before. Pretty good for side and rear windows. Dont put it on your front windscreen though - it destroyed my wipers.
    +1 to this.
    Used Rain-X on my front windscreen before and it wrecked my wipers and windscreen, below 50mph the wipers were ineffective as they just glided over the windscreen. Above 50mph, you didn't need to use the wipers but anything below and I couldn't see out the windscreen. Use it on the side windows though, stops them getting dirty.

Ah Peasant, get in to the gym!! Maybe its for new glass or something? I have an 06 and it works well!! I use just water in my window washer now. I just have it on the windscreen though, I don't think it would be suitable for side windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I put it on my windscreen.
    It's great for >80km/h or thereabouts as it means you don't need wipers.

At lower speeds, however, I find you need to use wipers and they smear more than usual.

Or maybe I didn't put it on right...

• Advertisement

It BeeMee wrote: »
    At lower speeds, however, I find you need to use wipers and they smear more than usual.

Yeah actually, your dead right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One thing with the Rain-X stuff, and probably the Lidl stuff too, is that you really have to buff it up very hard so that there's not a trace of a smear left othersies it's pretty ineffective.

I also found that it was quite sensitive to the weather when you applied it. The screen has to perfectly clean and dry, and not too hot otherwise the stuff just dries instantaneously as you apply it. If the weather is a bit drizzly at all and the screen is damp, it just smears and you'll never get it right. The only time it hasn't really worked for me is if I took any short cuts and didn't rub the ****e out of it when applying it. Too much like hard work for me.

It BeeMee wrote: »
    I put it on my windscreen.
    It's great for >80km/h or thereabouts as it means you don't need wipers.

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah actually, your dead right there.
    I don't understand why you'd put it on your windscreen so if it impairs your vision below 80kph?(which is probably the speeds we spend most of our time driving at)?

fletch wrote: »
    I don't understand why you'd put it on your windscreen so if it impairs your vision below 80kph?(which is probably the speeds we spend most of our time driving at)?

It doesn't leave permanent streaks. Mine just streaks when the wipers go over the glass, it disappears after a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Didn't bother with the windsceen treatment but certainly stocked up on the detergent for the washer bottle. Never again paying €3 for a small bottle in a forecourt.

It doesn't leave permanent streaks. Mine just streaks when the wipers go over the glass, it disappears after a few seconds.
    Hmmm mine didn't leave streaks either, just caused the rain to bead but then below 80kph you're not going fast enough for it to fly off and the stuff ruins the wipers so they're ineffective. A few seconds of blurred vision while driving is not good.....

I suppose try it out for yourself, but it wouldn't be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Yup i disappears, but it's annoying.
    Though maybe the trick is to put more of the fluid on the wiper blades themselves?

A few seconds of blurred vision while driving is not good......

No blurred vision Fletch, just some streaks I can see through perfectly. Can we not let this turn in to a high horse brigade safety "Oh My God your so irresponsible what about the poor orphan trildren" thread? Its a cleaning product for a windscreen, not a bonnet mounted AK47...

No blurred vision Fletch, just some streaks I can see through perfectly. Can we not let this turn in to a high horse brigade safety "Oh My God your so irresponsible what about the poor orphan trildren" thread? Its a cleaning product for a windscreen, not a bonnet mounted AK47...
    :) Ah no...just givin my experiences of using the product that's all..each to their own

:) Ah no...just givin my experiences of using the product that's all..each to their own

Yeah! I have a feeling from the other posts I could have applied it better to be honest...:) Great on the motorway when its raining though...

• Advertisement

Yeah! I have a feeling from the other posts I could have applied it better to be honest...:) Great on the motorway when its raining though...
    Agreed....no need for wipers whatsoever...feels very weird though :) Looks kool too with the rain streamin off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Haven't tried the Lidl brand, but I've been using RainX for years now and my wiper blades are just fine. If you apply it correctly, it works wonders, even at lower speeds.

The intention of these products was never for it to replace wipers, just to enhance the function and to improve general visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Haven't used the Lidl one but Rain X is crap. It is full of silicones which repel water well at first but when it starts to break down it leaves a film and gunk on the glass which affects vision and dries out wiper blades. They loose their suppleness and as they get harder the more they will chatter and potentially scratch the glass.

The key to good results is all in the preparation. The best thing to do is clay the glass and or also use an alcohol based glass cleaner at the very least so that it is perfectly clean from the outset. Then fully dry down. Then apply the glass sealant in the shade to a cool surface. If the Lidl one is a liquid (like water) it is probably one of those German made sealants (I use another brand) which only needs an extremely thin layer applied in long even strokes with a microfibre cloth. It more or less disappears into the glass as you apply it. It has some alcohol in the formula as well. Let it dry for 15 mins or so. Then it forms a slight haze, you then sprinkle a few drops of water on the glass and wipe away any residue or smears. Job done.

Applying too much is a waste of product and does not do a better job. The thinner the coating the better it bonds with the glass and the longer it will last. It works great on glass and polycarbonate windows. The water beads and shoots up the windscreen around 80KPH. Lasts several months on side windows but the wipers wear it down or reduce its affectiveness after 6 weeks or so but it is much easier to reapply second time round as the sealant stops dirt from embedding into the glass in the first place. Best to clean the wiper blades as well with vinegar and wash off and even some alcohol so they are spotlessly clean as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

If you use it inside the screen or rear window does it stop condensation forming?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

no.

If tyour wipers are smearing - CLEAN them....

the 99c polish is excellant btw....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I used the nano treatment from ALDI and have to save it trickles off the windscreen pretty impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,447 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I too have used that nano stuff from LIDL. It worked great. Weird experience to drive on a motorway in the p1ssing rain with no wipers on :eek:

It didn't last long though, maybe a week or two and after that I didn't notice any difference (good or bad) compared to before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I think it's excellent stuff, no need for wipers above 100kph, easy to apply also.

Advertisement