Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maddie McCann & the Halo 3 trailer

Options
  • 26-09-2008 11:40am
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Christ this is internet stupidity at its worst. Story is here.

Basically a line in it says "MADDIE, WHERE ARE YOU?" and certain idiots are up in arms about it, as being an insensitive reference to the reigning Hide & Seek Champion.

Yeah, I think whenever I see a character called John in a game, I am disgusted at how insensitive it is to the family of the late John F. Kennedy. Haven't they been through enough? In JFK's case, he didn't have a recent save-game (I think they only had tape-backups back then). It's shocking frankly. I want an apology from every publisher who has used the name John, particularly in FPS games, as they have guns in them. JFK was killed by a gun. And a person. But FPS's have people in them too. etc. etc.

Between this and that Jack Thompson, I'm getting a little tired of the media demonising games. There are far far worse things happeing in the world than controversially arranged pixels.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

God must be a slow news day.

Ah well at least Jack Thompson has been disbarred permanently.
    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54911

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They probably weren't aware of the maddie hullabuloo. Being american they probably couldn't give two fucks about it just like the rest of the world shouldn't have given two fucks about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,908 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Personally, I think it is insensitive for Bungie to use the disappearance and possible death of an innocent little girl as a means of propelling their hype machine. Not needed either, they would have got plenty of press regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Maximilian wrote: »
    Christ this is internet stupidity at its worst. Story is here.

I wonder if Bungie were planning on having a character named Maddie in the game?

Cos they're gonna have to now!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

KKTHXBAI Jack.

Gotta love the comments on that JT story
    hahaha this is what you get for being a stupid asshole all the time.

rot in obscurity you illogical piece of ****

Sums up my feelings succinctly I think.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Otacon wrote: »
    I wonder if Bungie were planning on having a character named Maddie in the game?

Cos they're gonna have to now!

All I can say is I hope it's a gun-wielding toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Tauren wrote: »
    Personally, I think it is insensitive for Bungie to use the disappearance and possible death of an innocent little girl as a means of propelling their hype machine. Not needed either, they would have got plenty of press regardless.

Bungie has said the reference to 'Maddie' in the teaser trailer for the studio's next Halo project is an "unfortunate coincidence" to that of missing five year-old Madeleine McCann. http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=245932

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bungie software have Maddie Mc Cann!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bungie software have Maddie Mc Cann!

Or else the covenant do!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Maximilian wrote: »
    reigning Hide & Seek Champion.

That's beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Tauren wrote: »

Or perhaps since they are american and the story probably wasnt as ridiculously over hyped in the US as it was here they have never heard of her?
    Anyway its stupid that over a year later the name is still not able to be used without some ****wits referencing it back to her.
    Cue the sun or the mail getting a hold of this and splashing it over their front pages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I reckon they're doing a 'Dark Angel' type thing where they take young kids and train them in secret to be Master Chiefs. Here's an artist's rendition of what young Maddie will look like in 15 or so years...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

maybe Master Chief has an illegitimate kid somewhere and she calls him Maddie Chief... you know, all cutesy like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

L31mr0d wrote: »
    maybe Master Chief has an illegitimate kid somewhere and she calls him Maddie Chief... you know, all cutesy like.

master cheif is a girl?...madie is a guy?.....oh ...learn something everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

VinLieger wrote: »
    Or perhaps since they are american and the story probably wasnt as ridiculously over hyped in the US as it was here they have never heard of her?
    Anyway its stupid that over a year later the name is still not able to be used without some ****wits referencing it back to her.
    Cue the sun or the mail getting a hold of this and splashing it over their front pages

I think/hope he was being sarcastic. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

how old is this story wasn't halo three released like last year or something, how can there be a teaser trailer for it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

MooseJam wrote: »
    how old is this story wasn't halo three released like last year or something, how can there be a teaser trailer for it

Its a teaser for an update of new missions for the campaign

Advertisement