Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting a car insurance policy

Options
  • 26-09-2008 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

For a few reasons, I am selling my own car and my partner and I are going to share one car - hers, for which she has insurance with FBD. My own insurer (Quinn) has told me I lose my 6 years (max'ed) no claims bonus after 2 years being a named driver on her policy. Not a problem really as there is a discount for being a named driver.

Other than being a named driver on her policy, is there a way to be co-insured as a full insured party?

Is this a case of greener choices being penalised by insurance companies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 racer25

I am no expert but have some knowledge,

Most reasonable insurer's give an introductory bonus at worst for a named driver.

My own insurer gave me 3 years Discount for bing named for 6 years.

I would say you would have a better case than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Richie_c

eoineen wrote: »
    For a few reasons, I am selling my own car and my partner and I are going to share one car - hers, for which she has insurance with FBD. My own insurer (Quinn) has told me I lose my 6 years (max'ed) no claims bonus after 2 years being a named driver on her policy. Not a problem really as there is a discount for being a named driver.

Other than being a named driver on her policy, is there a way to be co-insured as a full insured party?

If you can elaborate a small bit as to what you mean I might be able to help you out here! When you say co insured how exactly do you mean, do you mean you want the policy in the name of "Joe Blogs & Mrs Joe Blogs" or how do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 y3rman

If you alternate the policy between the two of you every odd year you will keep your NCD alive. For eaxample you are a named driver this year and main policy holder next with your partner as a named driver. You will both have a NCD record using this method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Richie_c wrote: »
    If you can elaborate a small bit as to what you mean I might be able to help you out here! When you say co insured how exactly do you mean, do you mean you want the policy in the name of "Joe Blogs & Mrs Joe Blogs" or how do you mean?

Yes, I mean that we would like to be both insured on this one car, neither of us being named drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

That's not a bad suggestion at all, if a little annually tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Richie_c

Yes, I mean that we would like to be both insured on this one car, neither of us being named drivers.

Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge theres no way to do it. The only suggestion has already been mentioned, your bonus is valid for two years after you cancel your policy so if you alternate every year or even every two years you could save your bonus that way. Just dont let it fall outside the two year period.

Advertisement