Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nimble Keyboard Fingers

• 26-09-2008 1:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I started playing COD4 about a week ago & finished the single player in about 4 nights. That aside it's the first time I've used the keyboard & mouse.

I have a Logitech Gamepad that I normally customize to the keys. There seemed to be too many commands so I took the leap to keyboard.

Despite feeling like I was back playing Morris Minor on the ZX Spectrum I got the hang of it after a while although I'm still not what you call proficient.

My biggest problem was having to look down for the "g" key to chuck back grenades & finding the ctrl key awkward for prone.

Now I know that it's easy to customize the keys but I decided to stick with the default settings.

I'd like to know how long it took you before the keys became second nature & what key changes you made to the default settings ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

The middle mouse button is also grenades.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

also, you could re-assign some buttons?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

go to the gym and work off your sausage fingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

In all seriousness now.

You'll find that after a few weeks of using the keyboard, your fingers will take up position in the keys naturally and you'll have your basic setting per say, then you can get used to having the other extra buttons to push and the same will happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Bind knife to a spare, easy to reach mouse button. The default is 'v' and awkward as crap to get to. The rest of the controls are fairly fps standard and the sooner you forget about your gamepad the better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

But I loved my gamepad, plus it was deadly on RE4.

I have got better with the keys unless I'm in a panic stations moment where it all seems to go wrong. I end up pressing everything wildly & seem to be jumping up & down while dying.

I'm sure we've all been there although some may not admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 badbazza

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    But I loved my gamepad, plus it was deadly on RE4.

I have got better with the keys unless I'm in a panic stations moment where it all seems to go wrong. I end up pressing everything wildly & seem to be jumping up & down while dying.

I'm sure we've all been there although some may not admit it.

hah! So true.

It helps to have a nice mouse with a few extra buttons like a logitech G5 or MX5-- series. the two side buttons by your thumb make for awesome special grenades and melee keys.

You will get used to CTRL. It's just your hands are used to grasping something and not being flat out. That will come in time. and as for your panic situation. find a really hectic level in single player. Set your keys the same there (two different configs) and get your self into tight situations just to practice your keys and you'll be up and running in no time :)

Hope that helps

Advertisement