Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 Bullets

Options
  • 26-09-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

I am sure that this has been discussed before but next Tuesday sees the release of Volume 12 of the series.

Since it has been mentioned in the Ultimate comic bookshelf thread I am guessing a few people here read it and was wondering what they think of it?

For me the title shows just what a comic can be, it was also the first book I picked up that didn't feature a superhero. The story just drags you into a grim and gritty world full of dark corners where horrible things happen. Where the good people do things that would make you cringe. The only complaint I have from people is that the story can be a bit too deep and can take a few readings for you to follow. For me it's part of the appeal, I have read all the trades before a new one is released and each time noticed something that I missed the first time around. And this weekend I plan on reading through all of them again in anticipation of Volume 12.

The only thing is that with this volume it makes the end of the series closer and thats not something I wanna think about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Since it has been mentioned in the Ultimate comic bookshelf thread I am guessing a few people here read it and was wondering what they think of it?

I've been picking up the single issues so didn't notice it was all the way up to 12 with the trades but I guess it is up to the 90's with the single issues and its only set to go till just over 100.

I thought it had been mentioned a couple of times in the "what comics are you reading now" thread a bunch of times - maybe not recently but certainly in the last year - so I assumed a bunch of people on here were following it. I'm a big fan of both 100 Bullets and Brian Azzarello's other book Loveless. I love the noir, cinematic feel of both books and I find the writing dark but clever/witty. It is sad to think that it won't go on forever but I think I'd rather it end strong then either fade out or worse yet have a different creative team try and take over it - its not a book where you could do that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

100 Bullets is one of the best books on the market, period. I started reading it far too late to be reading the single issues, but following it through the trades is great because you get a massive serving of Eduardo Risso's glorious artwork each time.

The story is definitely dense and complex, and the characters are ambiguous enough that you can't really sum any of them up in a single line - which is a great thing as far as I'm concerned, it makes them interesting to follow. Each time I pick up a trade I read it, then re-read the whole series. I hope that Azzarello sticks to the initial notion of having it finish on or around the 100th issue, because it's a story that needs a proper ending. It would never work with any other creative team, and there's no way that it could realistically resolve all the plot threads and character arcs in a satisfying way while still remaining open for "the future adventures of the Minutemen" or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

From what I know it is to finish with issue 100 unless plans changed. As both of you have said I would hate to see it taken over by another team and just become a watered down version of what it is now.

What I can see at some stage in the future however is some kind of prequel limited series focusing on the Minutemen which would probably water down the series a bit.

I also think the series would lend itself nicely to a HBO series.

Advertisement