Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's in a name? Where are the Mammies?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I call my mother mammy but my daughter calls me Mom. I would hate it if she called me anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

stovelid wrote: »
    Don't these just sound the same.....

No, they are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I call mam the old dear, My oldest girl is really posh and calls me Mummy, The middle fella calls me mama, and the youngest calls me Mah she's real common, 2 and a half with a real wickla accent :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I call my mother mum - always have. I think it's because my Welsh granny was called Mam as the Welsh word for grandmother is Mamgu (pronounced mam-gee). This was shortened to mam. My cousins are a fair bit older than me so she was mam a long time before I was born. Even my mum (her daughter in law) called her mam. It's kind of pronounced with a longer A sound though so is doesn't sound quite the same as an Irish person calling their mother mam.

The Welsh for Dad is Tad but we never called my dad that - he was always dad, or daddy if I wanted something. :D

I personally don't like the word mammy, as Hagar says it sounds a bit like the Irish mammy cliche and reminds me of that Al Jolson song - to my mammy. That song kind of creeps me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I'm mammy, and I still call my mother mammy when I'm talking to or about her. If I'm talking to my son about the grandparents, they're granny and granda. Never liked mum or mummy (sounds too posh or something) and mom or mommy sounds too american :) I've warned my husband (aka daddy) that if our children ever call me ma, I'm leaving him ;) That's what he calls his mother! Me ma! Sounds like an ambulance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

DD 25wks old has called me Awawa since about 12wks. She calls her daddy Awoh. This week she started calling him DaDa. She only calls for him now and not me as she seems to be forgetting Awawa and only using DaDa. Very useful for the middle of the night when she wakes up going "DaDa" - its like "Hey I'd go love, but it's you she wants!":D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Our son calls his mother 'dada' as he has reserved 'mama' exclusively to designate biscuits. He also calls me (and one of the cats) 'dada' but calls the other cat by name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Mam or Mammy. If the word Mum or Mom comes into my house the perpetrator leaves! I CANNOT stand the word Mum. We're not living in London/Manchester/Birmingham so cut it out.

Jaysus - your poor kids! One word out of place and you'll kick them out of the house! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 emma@

My son is only 16 months but calls me mama, would prefer if he called me mam growing up, i call my mother mam all the time, if i tried calling her ma i'd get a clip on the ear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 PurpleLily

My three call me Mam - although the 3yr old tends to call me Mother when she's having a strop. I've always called my own mother Mam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

PurpleLily wrote: »
    although the 3yr old tends to call me Mother when she's having a strop.

Ha! That sounds familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Is this a female thing? Does it actually matter what your child refers to you as? As long as they are happy, healthy and get on with you does it really matter what version of "mother" thay refer to you as?
    I couldn't care less if my two refer to me as dad, da, dada etc etc,
    Currently it is dada but they are less than a year so everything is dada as it is all they say other than mama when they are REALLY upset :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I've always called mine mam, and when I have children that's what I want to be called too. I don't like mum, and I hate mummy, it sounds so snooty. A lot of kids are calling their mothers mom nowadays, I don't like that either, it's too americanised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Mammy reminds me of Daniel O'Donnell, and anything that reminds me of him cannot be good!!

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well I am the stay at home parent my two will by default come to me or call for me or yell out for me and frankly MA gets on my nerves and I would rather not have my teeth set on edge when they address me which is easily between 15 ot 50 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

MarchDub wrote: »
    As I don't live in Ireland now I have no idea if this terrible English appellation has crept into the language. Has it? Mothers, what do your children call you?
    A certain type of person/family insists on use of the word 'Mum'. These same people believe that M&S is the pinnacle of shopping and somehow a superior department store. Generally a very middle-class thing. I'm not having a dig at anyone by saying that, it's just an observation that has so far held true...a bit like the Pythagerous theorem. :pac:

I always called my Mam, 'Mam' and still do :) When I was in University I had friends who used the word 'Mum' and they were generally those who were not from working-class backgrounds. I live in England and 'Mum' is ubiquitous across all classes (and the vulgar idea of class distinction is very much in evidence all over daily life in England).

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Mam...Mam...MAM...MAAAAAM... MAMMY!... MAMMY!... MAMMMMEEEEE!!

..is kinda what it sounds like in my house. Sometimes x2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I think it is broadly along these lines

Mam
    > working class culchies
    Mammy
    > working class Jackeens
    Ma ----> working class Jackeens
    Mother ---> working class corkonians pretending to be middleclass
    Mum ---> Shower of ejjits who cant make up their mind what class they are
    auld lady ---> thick hard men or thicker harder wimmin
    mamma mia ---> Italians

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Ma". All the way.

Or sometimes, "Here you".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

dodgyme wrote: »

Mam
    > working class culchies
    Mammy
    > working class Jackeens
    Ma ----> working class Jackeens
    Mother ---> working class corkonians pretending to be middleclass
    Mum ---> Shower of ejjits who cant make up their mind what class they are
    auld lady ---> thick hard men or thicker harder wimmin
    mamma mia ---> Italians

What about Mom?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mine called me Mammy when they were little and they call me Mam now. Never Ma and NEVER Mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

dodgyme wrote: »

Mam
    > working class culchies
    Mammy
    > working class Jackeens

I remember disucssing this with my friends and think its the other way, the ones from Dublin all seemed to say Mam and the ones from the "country" (ie outside Dublin) used Mammy when they were young but now had graduated to Mam! As a Dub I've always said Mam....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

what2do wrote: »
    I remember disucssing this with my friends and think its the other way, the ones from Dublin all seemed to say Mam and the ones from the "country" (ie outside Dublin) used Mammy when they were young but now had graduated to Mam! As a Dub I've always said Mam....

I agree, as a culchie :) Everyone I know said mammy as a child at the very least. Some of us still do :) I also hate the phrase "the oul wan", which seems to be quite popular amongst the grown ups when talking about their mammys. My jackeen husband always says ma or mam, but if he's talking about me to our kiddo, he calls me mammy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Mam or Ma, interchangeably. I couldn’t give a toss which he calls me; I'm just glad he's healthy and capable of addressing me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

what2do wrote: »

As a country born bloke we only used mam on our street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I live in England and 'Mum' is ubiquitous across all classes (and the vulgar idea of class distinction is very much in evidence all over daily life in England).

Yup. I always said Mum as I was brought up in England until I was 11. Mum is used right across the spectrum over there.

I'd rather call her by her first name than say Mammy or Mummy. Makes you sound like a ponce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Jaysus - your poor kids! One word out of place and you'll kick them out of the house! :D

Well all except the 5 year old are bigger than me so I guess throwing them out is out of the question! I'll just have to disinherit them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm surprised how popular "mam" or "mammy" is. I always thought it sounded baby-ish or a bit culchie. I always used to call her Mum when I was a kid. Now it's momma. Started as a joke and stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

Mammy all the way! I call my own mam and my daughter calls me mammy and my heart melts every time she says it :) I hate mummy and mommy bloody new money!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'm from the country and always used Mom growing up - I know one person/female who calls her mother mammy all the time and I find it freaky -She's in her thirties ffs

Now I generally use mothership and popstar or pop idol when referring to my rents - Drives them nuts :)

Advertisement