Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Zound...OTT or just the job?

Options
  • 26-09-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

How are ye now?

Just recieved my new winter boots(nice and snuggy but no excuse now for not riding in the winter) and Air Zound horn from CRC.
    After charging up the horn and letting it rip at my desk my colleagues and I are amazed at the sheer volume. Now I'm wondering if it's a little too much for city use? Am I going to increase the number of strokes and heartattacks on Dublins streets?
    Whadda ya think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

OTT for me, but if I was still commuting through the docks & quays I might have a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Pretty sure kenmc has one -and it's useful :)

I'm afraid I'd be too tempted to use it to get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I'm afraid I'd be too tempted to use it to get one!

Yeah! I can't say I won't abuse it's raw power.
    Don't give into the horn. The horn leads to pain, pain leads to suffering, suffering leads to the dark side!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yep. most useful thing I ever got to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

I used two Airzounds for a couple of years. The sound - at least when the thing is initially pumped - is terrific and is very useful as a reminder of one's presence to traffic drifting towards you. However, I ultimately stopped using it because I had to remove it every time I locked the bike for security purposes and it became one more thing to carry around. I suspect if I was a courier who was dealing with traffic all day long, I'd have retained it (certainly the peak period of my using it coincided with a commute through the city cente) but unless you have somewhere secure to leave your bike (i.e. away from prying hands) you may find it more of an encumbrance than its worth.

• Advertisement

I've got an unused cupboard beside my desk that serves as my own private bike shed, so I could hang a diamond encrusted bell on the bars and it won't be going anywhere:D
    I can't wait to use this flippin thing...if I have to be deaf, so does everyone else:p
    I better get a respro mask to hide my identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Grand so. (And now I think of it - the same period of Air Zound use coincided with the peak of my Respro-masked cycling.)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Too OTT for me (and not very aero). But I'm sure my fellow boardsers use theirs in a responsible fashion and don't behave like some of the characters I've seen with these contraptions over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Just be wary of ped's.

Its happened me loads of times in the p park, that there's peds on the cycle lane with their backs turned to me walking along, and when I shout to let them know I'm coming they are startled and just freeze or worse move into my path... I can imagine the AirZound has an even more pronouced effect!

72oo

Yeah it's more for the cars and mopeds that pull into the cyclelane. Ye know...I don't really mind moterised bicycles using the lane but the least they can do is go faster than me! They have engines and they're slowing bikes down...whats with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

The airzound is about the only thing I have found that can penetrate the inner sanctum of an iPod. Well besides a cattleprod of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Had a similar thing (stadium horn) which was damn useful when in the industrial estates around blanch. Don't use it as a substitute bell though, a little ding will suffice in 90% of cases, only had to use it every couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

The one thing I have to say is that whilst I think they're fantastic, they are not that durable, I've had two that have broken this year, way they clip onto the little red mount isnt that effective and they tend to break around there. Needs a MKII version I thinks........

Advertisement