Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Thread crunchdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Macros42 wrote: »
    (s)he should have just deleted your post and let the discussion continue.

I dunno.

I didn't post in the thread but I read it start to finish. I'll agree that Dudess' comment was well below the mark of what I consider personal abuse and I'll agree with her that it was more of a straw that broke the camel's back issue than a big problem with her post in specific. But the last Mod post in that thread made it pretty clear that anything of that sort would get the thread closed.

I agree, a delete would have been a better option were it not for this post which made it pretty clear that patience was running thin with many attitudes in the debate.

I don't think there ever should be any block on the subject because free-speech aside, this site was set up and developed (I assume) with the ideas of encouraging discussion on anything anyone might want to talk about. But I can see it getting that way looking at any other thread on abortion - it always seems to get... well, not quite personal... but heated doesn't seem to cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Dudess' post didn't have personal abuse in it. It didn't contribute to the discussion but wasn't abusive at all imo.

zenith's post was pretty useless tbh - in a thread about abortion you will always get point for point rebuttals. It's a very very emotive topic. But rebuttals are inevitable. Every post is going to attempt to rebut other arguments whether on purpose or not - that's the central core of any debate.

That said - I do believe that threads about abortion are pointless for the posters in them. zenith is absolutely correct that there are people who will never even consider agreeing with the opposing side's opinions. But let the children at it anyway - threads like that are always for the undecideds to read the dogmatic opinions of the converted and then make their own decisions :)

[edit]I just want to throw in that I don't believe in the OP's assertion that the lock was related to zenith's own opinions. I think that the thread was allowed go to extremes at some stages. I have no idea where zenith's own morality lies and he/she didn't seem to allow it to influence the decision to lock. I don't agree with the lock but I do not believe it was morally motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055383586&page=18

Now that one is closed.. no reason given and no reason for closing..

So much for free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Its a conspiracy. Boards is run by liberal heathens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hagar wrote: »
    I suspect that they were regular posters who wanted to post anonymously rather than blow-ins just regging for the one thread.

Why ?
    Phototoxin wrote: »

So much for free speech.

There is not provision for free speech in this country and certainly not on private websites.

When the thread was locked the mod said it was due to reported posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So much for free speech.

And free thought too!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

There is not provision for free speech in this country and certainly not on private websites.

then why not punish the members who posted rather than delete the whole thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Why ?
    I'm not so sure that on a site this size that so many new posters suddenly found that particular thread and were motivated enough to go through the whole regging process just to post once or twice. Unless of course there's a conspiracy and it was rent-a-crowd. I'm more inclined to think that some established posters wanted to have their say without revealing themselves to people who might know them IRL.

It's just my guess, I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Hagar wrote: »
    I'm more inclined to think that some established posters wanted to have their say without revealing themselves to people who might know them IRL.

Are they embarassed by their views then?

then why not punish the members who posted rather than delete the whole thread?

its locked,not deleted. People can still read the arguements. Maybe whoever locked it might come here and say why they locked it. Its a privately owned website. Everyone is like a guest in the admins house. The mods voluntarily help the site,clean it up and keep the peace. They don't have a 'duty' or whatever.

• Advertisement

Octacon wrote:
    Are they embarassed by their views then?

What are you asking me for? How would I know?
    I just put forward an idea, I never said it was gospel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Im fairly Anti Abortion -but here the Mods are right.

And I am ahem a tad opinionated from time to time.

If posters want to sabotage a thread they can and thats disrespectful to everybody else.

Even in the heat of the moment-you can always go in and edit your stuff out.You can even ask a mod for help to remove stuff.You can even apologise to others on threads. But when a thread is closed you cant do anything.

Im a Newby and some posters dont care if they wreck a good thread.

Ive had some of my views changed by some very good posts on the subject on the other now closed down threads.

I also have seen some wonderful stuff posted explaining complex theological,philosophical, moral and biological data that otherwise would have been beyond my comprehension.

So sorry to see it go but it was OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

CDfm wrote: »
    Im fairly Anti Abortion -but here the Mods are right.

And I am ahem a tad opinionated from time to time.

If posters want to sabotage a thread they can and thats disrespectful to everybody else.

Even in the heat of the moment-you can always go in and edit your stuff out.You can even ask a mod for help to remove stuff.You can even apologise to others on threads. But when a thread is closed you cant do anything.

Im a Newby and some posters dont care if they wreck a good thread.

Ive had some of my views changed by some very good posts on the subject on the other now closed down threads.

I also have seen some wonderful stuff posted explaining complex theological,philosophical, moral and biological data that otherwise would have been beyond my comprehension.

So sorry to see it go but it was OTT.

Agreed, which is why simple, basic questions are good on a thread like that.

Unfortunately I joined late and that seemed to go against the norm on the thread!

Unfortunately if either side has an absolute view, there is no room for debate!

When it gets to the stage that nobody thinks about a question, just quotes the party line, it isn't a debate anymore.

Btw, I believe this applies to both extremes of the thread!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Agreed, which is why simple, basic questions are good on a thread like that.

Unfortunately I joined late and that seemed to go against the norm on the thread!

Unfortunately if either side has an absolute view, there is no room for debate!

When it gets to the stage that nobody thinks about a question, just quotes the party line, it isn't a debate anymore.

Btw, I believe this applies to both extremes of the thread!

Yep - the party line stuff goes round and round if I wanted that Id go to a rally.

But Seanies some of these wans in Dublin have really extreme views heres something I found on the internet

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/BitingBeaver

BTW mods - I just put in the link as an extreme example of the free speech arguments gone mad- and wont be in the least offended if in your wisdom and if you think its not appropriate you have my permission to edit it out.

Why have you linked to encyclopediadramatica after saying people in dublin have strange ideas ? That link has nothing to do with any one in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

The thread closing is probably fair enough at this point, if so many of the contributors are complaining.

If people are going to act like kids and go running to the mods everytime someone on the net offends them, then they probably need to be treated like kids by having the thread closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

And if people want to act like morons and not engage in a proper discussion then there's probably no point in keeping the thread open tbh

I was joining in with the conspiracy theorists- NAH- but really had wanted to post that somewhere on an abortion thread and now I have.:)

feedback is not to be used to rehash threads which you don't have access to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thaedydal wrote: »
    feedback is not to be used to rehash threads which you don't have access to.

Naughty step ftw.

• Advertisement

we we only have thier word for it seeing as how the pm function is unfathomable to that particular mod.

we we only have thier word for it seeing as how the pm function is unfathomable to that particular mod.

mods have lives outside boards. Mods are volunteers. Mods don't have to cater to your every whim. Maybe if you lost the attitude it would help.

Actually that is not the case, all of the mods can see the forum where the reported posts generate threads after the reported post function is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Dudess wrote: »
    many other topics are emotive but none of them bring out childishness like abortion.

Yeah what is with that? Perhaps banging on about embryos all the time brings people back to a foetus like state or something.Theres a lot more devastating and pertinent issues in the world, and particularly in Ireland, to get riled up about such as war,poverty,inequalitys etc etc

Nerin wrote: »
    mods have lives outside boards. Mods are volunteers. Mods don't have to cater to your every whim. Maybe if you lost the attitude it would help.

they have time to lock and monitor thread but not to reply to a simple pm. Mabey if the mods acted like mods I mightn't need to adopt any form of attitude in the first instance.

Oh so how do you think mods should act ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

they have time to lock and monitor thread but not to reply to a simple pm. Mabey if the mods acted like mods I mightn't need to adopt any form of attitude in the first instance.
    My 2c as category moderator: if you had approached this differently, I might have been motivated to look into the matter and perhaps discuss it with the forum moderators. As it stands - having read your posts on this thread - I'm not going to, and the matter is closed as far as I'm concerned.

You can consider this as feedback on your approach to giving feedback. Or you can ignore it.

My 2c as category moderator: if you had approached this differently, I might have been motivated to look into the matter and perhaps discuss it with the forum moderators. As it stands - having read your posts on this thread - I'm not going to, and the matter is closed as far as I'm concerned.

You can consider this as feedback on your approach to giving feedback. Or you can ignore it.

It goes to show that mods wont take what they give, one only has to look at the airsoft feedback thread here too to see that.

OscarBravo I dont particularly care, I have no respect for a mod that won't reply to a simple PM yet has time to nahtzee a thread to death for no reason.

I belive I shall choose the latter as the 2nd word under your name says a lot

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

OscarBravo I dont particularly care, I have no respect for a mod that won't reply to a simple PM yet has time to nahtzee a thread to death for no reason.
    I guess it's more important to feel you've made a point than to actually achieve something, so.
    I belive I shall choose the latter as the 2nd word under your name says a lot
    Your prerogative. Just as it's your prerogative to believe that I chose the tagline "Truculent bigot" because that's how I see myself, rather than as an ironic quote from an obscure 1980s song.

• Advertisement

Not that obscure ;)
    Here we go, doing nothing again.
    You can come if you'd like,
    but please don't bring your friends.

Action man's gone to the cleaners,
    Barbie is working the streets,
    they took her in, with a handful of sweets.

What can you do? What can you say?
    They give me disease on the medium wave.

I've got things to do, people to see
    I've got no time, please don't bother me...

They put all the books on the bonfire,
    Two-thousand years in a flame.
    I run like a horse in a fairground,
    Rewind me and play me again.

Once I was a boy, which seems funny to me.
    Yes, I threw my stones, read my books, climbed those trees.
    What can I say to you mister?
    Yes, I've been drinking again.
    You can beat my brains, but don't kiss me again.

I've always been like this, since I was young,
    I'm a truculent bigot, I revel in scum.

We used to converse, so long ago,
    Now we're existing in a personal hell

two-thousand years in a flame.
    I run like a horse in a fairground,
    rewind me and play me again.

How'd you feel? I can't use my eyes...
    What you say?
    Thanks for my surprise…

I wasn't listening, I didn't know.
    Tell me what happened, where did I go?
    I'm pulling my hair, I lay on the floor
    The paper's aren't funny, not funny no more.

two-thousand years in a flame.
    Yes, I run like a horse in a fairground,
    rewind me and play me again.

Oh, I wasn't listening, I didn't know.
    Tell me what happened, where did I go?
    I'm pulling my hair, I lay on the floor,
    the paper's aren't funny, not funny no more.

I've always been like this, since I was young,
    I'm a truculent bigot, I revel in scum.

You can beat my brains, beat my brains, beat my brains,
    But don't kiss me again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement