Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Thread crunchdown

Options
13»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Heh. Did you recognise it, or did you have to Google it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sadly I have to admit I googled it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

\o/ I remain obscure. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I cant believe you care that much hagar *sniff* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭md23040

Should There Be Legalised State Funded Abortion – One of the Many Useful Measures To Fix Ireland’s Finances?

To give back ground at the start of Clinton presidency the number one topic facing the administration was the serious increase in youth crime and related homicides. According to Stephen Dubner a New York Times columnist, Clinton’s advisors predicted an optimistic 15% yoy increase whilst others more pessimistic thought the problem would double every 3 years and become eventually a social pandemic. However the opposite occurred, and within 12 months all sorts of youth crime were dropping like stones. The administration basked in the glory and put it down to (i) better targeted allocation of police resources (ii) increased educational programs within targeted area’s (iii) tougher penal laws etc.

In truth the reason for this started twenty years beforehand with the case of Roe v Wade in the Dallas courts. The defendant was an un-married single teenage mother who wanted an abortion but couldn’t afford it. No state assistance was available in her home state of Texas nor generally in the country. Basically she won her case, but was too late to benefit its outcome. In short because many people from similar social background opted for abortion, meant the American gene pool of social delinquents grew smaller and the impact on social services sank also.

Now obviously in the context of this argument, my agenda on abortion previously was neutral i.e. didn’t give a damn. Now also in the context of single mothers et al, of course many make a positive contribution to society as do their children but the case is, with (i) Ireland having by European standards a higher degree of single mothers that are socially dependent on the system (ii) many children from deprived backgrounds unfortunately getting involved in crime [look at the family stats of youth offenders]. So in the context of helping out the country, in a now pluralist society, should abortion be a legalised and more importantly state funded. And be a non-stigmatised option rather than burying our heads and not giving a damn.

Some might say the unheard voice of a child has rights – true? But what about the rights of the individual, and country that provides economic well being and liberty for society?

Has Ireland an ever increasing social time-bomb that it can ill afford?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement