Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you remember about the 90's???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dudess wrote: »

McGonagles (check)

Rock Garden (check)

Heading over to Manchester to check out the Hacienda. (check)

/Sticks out tongue/

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I miss McGon's :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

stovelid wrote: »
    /Sticks out tongue/

:D
    Oh you BITCH!!! :mad:

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I miss McGon's :(

:(

First club I ever went to (was about 17) was called Voodoo (and later, Soul on Ice) in Mcgonagles in the late 80's. Dublin's attempt at an acid night. Some of the best times I ever had. I still have some of the posters in my mums somewhere. They were just different variations on acid house smilies, and the Soul on Ice ones were just Malcom X mugshots. Funny to think it was still such a nite-club then: no bar, just ritz /wine all the way. :)

Also sides on Dame Street and the Olympic Ballroom off Camden Street.

Later on in the 90's, it was the TOS. The Rock Garden. Also the Blue Note, near to where The Viper Room is now.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The Blue Note... I remember that name but can't remember being in there. Although there are many places like that from back then :pac:

I really miss the Temple of Sound and the UFO... especially the nights in the Temple where they opened out the whole lobby and other function rooms. Strange seeing people boppin' away in the lobby while some residents checked into the hotel :D

The Chill Out room on the nights they opened it was great too, some nice soothing tunes before you hit the mayhem of the main dance-floor again... walking through that door and you were hit with dry ice, smell of vicks and a couple of hundred people bouncing around to the latest techno :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

raves in Sir Henry's, McGonagles, the Baggot Inn, the Rock Garden (now Doran's) Manchester to check out the Hacienda

My 90's started in Israel and ended in Brighton with a few stop offs in between.
    I loved sir henry's the twice I went.
    McGonagles was starting to wane by the early 90's as was the Baggot inn. They didn't evolve with music or intent and (especially)The baggort Inn deserved they're cancerous demise.
    I was unfortunate enough to be sent to Manchester during mid 90's. A kip. Canal street is good laugh then as now. I made it to the Hacienda in '95 (not long before it shut) and found it to be the most dangerous, threatening rancid sh!thole this side of Dundalk. The drugs were good though.

These places are BIG talked up beyond the perspective they sat in at their time. We all remember the good times fondly and that does indeed rosey the landscape in thoughts. Especially when it comes to The Baggot Inn. A prime example of how memory twists reality. It always treated its clientle to expensive, badly looked after booze and charge a lot to see very average bands playing in a very below average venue. The pool tables were never serviced either but you could smoke wagga in the room.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    The Blue Note... I remember that name but can't remember being in there. Although there are many places like that from back then :pac:
    I really miss the Temple of Sound and the UFO... especially the nights in the Temple where they opened out the whole lobby and other function rooms. Strange seeing people boppin' away in the lobby while some residents checked into the hotel :D

:

The Blue Note was between Bedford Lane and Aston Quay.

Was UFO in the Rock Garden? I'm sure there was a club of that name there at one stage.

I often wondered just wtf the hotel residents thought of the gurners in the TOS. :D

The Blue Note was between Bedford Lane and Aston Quay.

Was UFO in the Rock Garden? I'm sure there was a club of that name there at one stage.

I often wondered just wtf the hotel residents thought of the gurners in the TOS. :D

Not sure on the Blue Note but defo think I was in there at some stage.

Yeah the UFO started out in the Rock Garden but moved to Columbia Mills - Francois was the resident DJ there and basically ran the club, he posts here on boards... over in dance/electronic.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah the UFO started out in the Rock Garden but moved to Columbia Mills - Francois was the resident DJ there and basically ran the club, he posts here on boards... over in dance/electronic.

Was Columbia Mills down on the docks, just past the Dockers? Forgot about that. Was it called something else before that, like the Waterfront?

Was Columbia Mills down on the docks, just past the Dockers? Forgot about that. Was it called something else before that, like the Waterfront?

Yeah the venue was called the Waterfront and then UFO was on a Friday night. There was a chill out room downstairs with a sort of 'anything goes' policy :D

It was raided sometime in I think '95 - about 30 garda barged in and everyone had to get down on the floor with hands behind our heads... they then searched everyone and told us to wait outside to collect our coats after! Francois mentioned he has the newspaper clipping and is going to stick it up on boards. It was a good night!

• Advertisement

no bar, just ritz /wine all the way. :)

I went to the metal nights in McGon's from 91-92 (and then the last one in 93, which had a piss poor turn out of about 40 people due to poor promotion). Still only had wine and ritz then as well!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

humberklog wrote: »
    A bit strong...no?
    I don't see how the figuring that out would have elevated my smartness as high as my comment.
    ]
    What song is it anyway?

Maybe a little i suppose!

Italia 90 anthem...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I remember bands like Steps, Aqua, B*Witched and Boyzone. I also recall hearing about the 'feud' between Oasis and Blur, and not really caring because the Spice Girls were obviously the best band ever!:pac: Wish I could recall grunge and decent bands from that time, alas, I was only learning to read when 'Nevermind' was released.

Acacia wrote: »
    Wish I could recall grunge and decent bands from that time, alas, I was only learning to read when 'Nevermind' was released.

So were most of my Inter Cert (for those who remember back that far) class! :D

One of the things I most detested about the 90's were some of the Seattle type rock bands. I thought Nirvana themselves, and maybe Alice In Chains were just OK. But I hated the likes of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Mudhoney.

Even now I shudder when I think of those hurdu-hey voices, smelly looking hair and lumberjack jackets.

I saw that video recently by the Spindoctors(?) and I broke out in a cold sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

2 Unlimited - No Limit

"No No No No No No No No theres no limits"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

noby wrote: »

I haven't seen MTV in about ten years, and I'm not missing much judging by the comments.
    MTV for me was Pip Dann's PostModern, and Paul King's 120 minutes.

Yeah, 120 minutes was the best video show on TV at the time,
    post modern and alternative nation were good too.
    120 had the more out there stuff, Barnes and Barnes - Fishheads, Reverend Horton Heath - Psychobilly Freakout. This program changed the way I listen to music. MTV in the early 90's was pretty good at least it was all music
    and who could forget Ray Cokes :D Still remember the night he announced Cobains death.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Is that not the 80s...?

I was too young for the good part of the 90s (the early part) so there was no going to raves in Sir Henry's, shoegazing gigs up in Dublin at venues like McGonagles, the Baggot Inn, the Rock Garden (now Doran's) or even heading over to Manchester to check out the Hacienda. It sucked cuz I was old enough to be into all this stuff (early to mid teens). Then when I got to 17/18, started university etc the sucky mid 90s arrived. How I detested Britpop.

I always felt left out when people started going on about Henry's :( When I started college my classmates even brought me down there just so they could reminisce. Not being from the city, I didn't have a clue where they were taking me and I thought they were bringing me down an alley to beat me up. Apparently Freakscene was the sh*t in there.

I was also too young for the grunge scene, only appreciating it when I got older. I was however, *hangs head in shame*, very into my britpop. In my defense, I was young and naive and didn't have a clue. The amount of money I spent on SG's merchandise is shameful.

Back on topic, other 90's music for me would be:

N*Sync
    Ace is Base
    Aqua
    The Fugees
    No Mercy
    Jennifer Paige
    TLC
    Puff Daddy
    Offspring
    Meredith Brooks
    Alanis Morisette
    The Cardigans
    Chumbawamba
    Salt n Pepa
    No Doubt
    Savage Garden

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

MTV Europe.
    2 World cups.
    Hot summers.
    Suede and Pulp.
    Pound coins.

Thats it for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

MTV's most wanted with Ray Cokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

The Jenny McCarthy Show :D

Given all the chat about Dublin venues of times past, this thread is well timed:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055389384

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Aspiration wrote: »
    Apparently Freakscene was the sh*t in there.

Indeed it was. I wasn't into dance, so the other six nights didn't interest me, but I was semi-regular on Wednesday nights.
    Before that it was probably Gorbys when I first moved to Cork.

Actually, speaking of MTV, anyone remember it in the late 80s/early 90s with their gameshow, Remote Control hosted by Denis Leary? Of course, when he finished up, he'd go on a crusade against MTV. :D

Once it finished up in the US, then the UK gave it a crack with Tony Wilson presenting it.

JLemmon wrote: »
    Yeah, 120 minutes was the best video show on TV at the time,
    post modern and alternative nation were good too.
    120 had the more out there stuff, Barnes and Barnes - Fishheads, Reverend Horton Heath - Psychobilly Freakout. This program changed the way I listen to music.
    120 Minutes was awesome! I remember seeing Einsturzende Neubauten on it and was totally freaked out by this noisy, weird, scary, insane stuff (sorry John if you're reading!) but wow, what a far cry from ****ing My Sweet 16!
    Yeah I remember Pip Dann - she was cool.
    Anyone remember SnubTV on BBC2 for great alternative/indie?

I totally associate daytime MTV in the early 90s with RHCP, Pearl Jam, Faith No More, Beavis & Butthead etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I totally associate daytime MTV in the early 90s with RHCP, Pearl Jam, Faith No More, Beavis & Butthead etc.

Broken up by Paul King's 'day job' on MTV Greatest Hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

In no particular order:

Vagabonds Nite Club in Salthill in Galway,
    Jeff Buckley,
    Compulsion being my favourite band,
    Getting into the Pixies when Bossanova was released,
    Whipping Boy,
    Feile in '94 and '95,
    Getting ****faced on a tenner,
    Suede, Radiohead, Pulp etc,
    Therapy?,
    Drinking flagons of linden village,
    Having a ticket to see Nirvana and then Kurt blew his brains out,
    Old college bar in UCG,
    Puppylovebomb,
    Revelino,
    Lir,
    Tindersticks,
    Stina Nordenstam,
    No Disco,
    Sack,
    and having fcuk all money but great craic. Ahhh, nostalgia......

120 Minutes was awesome! I remember seeing Einsturzende Neubauten on it and was totally freaked out by this noisy, weird, scary, insane stuff (sorry John if you're reading!) but wow, what a far cry from ****ing My Sweet 16!
    Yeah I remember Pip Dann - she was cool.
    Anyone remember SnubTV on BBC2 for great alternative/indie?

Yeah, Under the bridge, Even Flow and MidLife Crisis :D
    Also Zuccero and Paul Young "Sensa Una Donna" got alot of plays and The Rembrants "That's just the way it is baby"
    As regards Pip Dann, Paul King, Ray Cokes and the rest, they knew there music unlike the later VJ's who were celeb wannabes like our modern radio Dj's.
    How the Feck can MTV call itself a music channel now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Metal, Grunge, Black Grape and some terrible amounts of Pop!

• Advertisement

Here's one pre internet to the masses thing.
    Having less music in your life.
    Now what I mean is, you got an album or 2 and that was it, you listened to
    them alot and the rest of your collection. There was no overload in the amount of music available and what you had you gave more time and truly got a feel for it.
    The 90's was the last time anything "Cult" was cult.
    Now with the net, every corner of pop culture has been exploded beyond it's boundaries, good in one way bad in that the joy of discovery and immersion in a subject is gone.

Advertisement