Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat 1.9tdi or 2.0tdi

Options
  • 26-09-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

All

just wondering about the fuel cost of running a vw passat 1.9tdi or 2.0tdi, i know a lot depends on the way you drive it but just wondering has any one got any thoughts on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Check out parkers.co.uk for the figures... im assuming your looking at the B6 platform AFAIK the 1.9 is 105bhp and the 2.0 is 140bhp. Think you can also get the 2.0 in 170bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had a 1.9TDI (130Bhp) last gen (B5) Passat and now have a 2.0TDI (140Bhp) current (B6) Passat.

Both automatics - the new one has the DSG option

In my opinion you'd definitely want to get the 2.0 as the new Passat is a fair bit bigger than the old one and definitely benefits from the extra 0.1L!

From a fuel economy standpoint, the 2.0 isn't any worse than my last one.. full tank lasts around 1100km (mostly N/M road driving) which is pretty good I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I had a 1.9TDI (130Bhp) last gen (B5) Passat and now have a 2.0TDI (140Bhp) current (B6) Passat.

Both automatics - the new one has the DSG option

In my opinion you'd definitely want to get the 2.0 as the new Passat is a fair bit bigger than the old one and definitely benefits from the extra 0.1L!

From a fuel economy standpoint, the 2.0 isn't any worse than my last one.. full tank lasts around 1100km (mostly N/M road driving) which is pretty good I think
    It depends on the size of the tank, why do people still talk about km per tank and miles per tank? The only way to compare cars is mpg or km/100 litres. I know of someone who bought a 08 passat and the back springs went weak when he took passengers resulting in the car tearing the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I know of someone who bought a 08 passat and the back springs went weak when he took passengers resulting in the car tearing the road.

Why do people post off topic? :P

For what it's worth OP I'd imagine there wouldn't be a noticeable difference between the 1.9 and 2.0 Tdi B6 Passat, in fact with more torque and higher 6th gear (than the 1.9's 5th) the 2.0 might be better on diesel depending on driving conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Gypo wrote: »
    Why do people post off topic? :P

For what it's worth OP I'd imagine there wouldn't be a noticeable difference between the 1.9 and 2.0 Tdi B6 Passat, in fact with more torgue and higher 6th gear (than the 1.9's 5th) the 2.0 might be better on diesel depending on driving conditions.

U stalking me pal, or do you just like me?:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

OP - there really is no contest, get the 2.0, not a tractor engine from the early 90s(the 1.9). Oh and the tractor engine takes 12.1 seconds to hit 100 km/h, so that is best described as leisurely.
    The 2.0 TDI 140 hits 100 km/h in 9.8 seconds, which certainly wouldn't get my pulses racing but nevertheless it is still a big improvement on the 1.9 with only 105 bhp and tractor like refinement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

In fairness the 2.0 PDs are rowdy things as well :D, but yep well worth it for the extra grunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Gypo wrote: »
    For what it's worth OP I'd imagine there wouldn't be a noticeable difference between the 1.9 and 2.0 Tdi B6 Passat, in fact with more torque and higher 6th gear (than the 1.9's 5th) the 2.0 might be better on diesel depending on driving conditions.

Well I can testify that there's a world of difference between my old 1.9 and my current 2.0 - might be only 10 more horsies under the bonnet but they must be Arabian thoroughbreds because despite being bigger and heavier, the B6 Passat is like a bullet compared to the old B5.5 version :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP do you need to even ask? The 2.0 TDi is superior in every way compared to the old 1.9 TDi.

Incidently I drove a 2.0 TDi B6 Passat Highline recently and to be honest I was underwhelmed by it. I was expecting more from it to be honest. Did not find it particularly responsive through the gears, the engine noise was also more noticable and I drive a diesel myself. I hope it was just down to that particular car and not the trend.

Advertisement