Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You can watch the debate tonight on MyDebates.org

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭corkfella

obama is defo making more valid points and also this was meant to be the debate where mccain was meant to be top dog, he will be destroyed on the economy debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Myth wrote: »
    McCain: Myself and (someone) sat down and put together a commission to find out what happened on 9 11... and we fixed it!

That'll go down great on the conspiracy forum board.

Twas Joe Lieberman DEM - "see i'm bipartisan"

Another mention for Petraeus - should have made a drinking game of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 dublinmayflower

"I love them and will take care of them, that will be my job." bleurrgh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Veterans are good mmmmkaayyyy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this idea that mccain pushed that bush has made the country safe cos there ahsn't been attack since 9/11, bush was in power for 6 months before hand....

• Advertisement

All over now. Where was Obama going after the debate? He went left to his wife, back right, and then left on the left.

When they were both leaving on opposite sides of the stage the crowd stood, turned to Obama and cheered him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Myth wrote: »
    All over now. Where was Obama going after the debate? He went left to his wife, back right, and then left on the left.

And always twirling, twirling towards freedom:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Overall a tie imo. Obama nailed the economic issues, McCain showed more command and knowledge on foreign policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CNN Scorecard - Obama: 44. McCain: 22.

Obama very much nailed the economy and given Foreign Policy really was McCain's home turf I thought he held very well. Especially when talking about McCain's past thoughts on WMDs and Sunnis and Shiites.

The way mccain was bleeding through his teeth during the first 40 minutes, very entertaining. Its the same way you might see your parents chuckle/laugh right before they throw a table through the window.

• Advertisement

I hate when McCain says something (in that slow shaky way) that he has obviously practiced a million times before. And he pauses afterwards, looks around and does 'the smile' and looks so proud of himself. Then the face drops and he gets on with it. It's horrible! And he always does it, makes me cringe right down to my toes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

sink wrote: »
    Overall a tie imo. Obama nailed the economic issues, McCain showed more command and knowledge on foreign policy.

yeah and I believe debate 3 is on the economy so that bodes well for him. If obama gets a tie out of this, it's a good night as he keeps a lead and he has gotten his weakest area out of the way for the debates

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

I was a bit disappointed, there was one or two clear openings for Obama to hit McCain with some punches but he restrained. I'm no political strategist, but I still would have liked to see it. It was a draw alright, but I was disappointed to see McCain looking relatively strong and in control (at times) after such a terrible week for him. I also have to hand it to him about his "I don't even have a seal yet" comment, that was a nice sucker punch!

Is anyone watching the American coverage? I'm flicking between Fox and CNN. I can't bear Hannity but I'm bearing it to see what their talking points are. So far they played a montage of Barack saying "I agree with Senator Mccain.." and Hannity keeps using the term "book knowledge" as if Palin lent Barack her "my first atlas" before the debate, where as McCain can drop names and places from memory.

The CNN sample group of a few dozen people:

64% said they think Obama won the debate. 62% said they think he'll win the election (or there abouts)

Yeah but he can't pronounce leaders names, thinks Spain is an enemy and doesn't know the borders of Iraq or the difference between sunnis and shi'ites. There's some book knowledge he could have done with!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"I'm proud to have been... I'm proud... I'm proud..." (McCain).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You may laugh, but it works in America.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Isn't CNN in America?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Interesting commentary on the debate: TL;DR the writer believes McCain won as he constantly forced Obama to react to and defend against little snipes McCain interjected at every opportunity. He also maneuvered the debate to force Obama to state "John McCain is right..." many times, which is now a Republican web ad.

I guess who "won" depends on your perspective. Obama is streets ahead when it comes to public speaking and presentation of himself. McCain is a terrible public speaker. Everyone knows it. As such, Obama should have won easily regardless of subject. If he didnt win easily does that mean he lost by not completely outshining McCain in the arena he is undisputably far better in?

On the other hand, McCain is the old pro, the pair of safe hands while Obama is supposed to be the inexperienced, unqualified career politician whose way out of his depth. His performance in the debate demonstrates that he can at least talk the talk convincingly and not be shown up by McCain. So maybe he won?

Voters will decide in the end I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sand wrote: »
    Voters will decide in the end I guess.

Naaa, the media will let us know who won.

FactCheck have a good break-down on what was said :

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_debate_no_1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

CNN/Opinion Research Corp poll showing 51% think Obama did the best job and 38% think McCain did the best job.

While I think Obama could have been better he still got in some punches for example, McCain kept banging on about his experience in previous conflicts etc Obama should have pushed in to say that his judgement still has not improved since he still thought it would be a quick and clean war etc. Lets remember that this was supposed to be McCain's strong debate and Obama held his ground strongly and looked like a leader.

Lets remember that this was supposed to be McCain's strong debate

On that point, it's likely accurate that a tie is as good as a win for Obama. Probably helped that a half-hour of it wasn't on foreign policy.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

only got to watch half of it (still at work atm) but the half I saw I thought Obama answered better but McCain seemed to be leading the debate into areas where he just put Obama on the defensive.

Though I must admit I was very much in favour of his scalpal vs axe point on government spending.

Ponster wrote: »
    FactCheck have a good break-down on what was said :

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_debate_no_1.html

One of the links at the bottom of the article is a 'summary of the campaign.' I think the first paragraph rather says it all.
    Normally we post a "Whoppers" compilation the week before Election Day. This time we've already seen such a large number of twisted facts, misleading claims and outright falsehoods that we are doing that now.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

both did ok, both seemed nervous, McCain moreso. Alot of stumbling but it was a good debate. Interesting that Sarah Palin was nowhere to be found. Well she cant buck out of next weeks debate. Should be interesting viewing.

My favourite part of the debate was definitely this (from 1:55):

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sand wrote: »
    As such, Obama should have won easily regardless of subject. If he didnt win easily does that mean he lost by not completely outshining McCain in the arena he is undisputably far better in?

I believe polls showed that 51% believed Obama was the better of the two vs 38% for McCain.

I'd call that winning easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Every time mccain went into one of his anecdotes he really showed his age. like those old ladies you find in the grocery store that like to talk your ear off on the best way to cook shrimp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

the consensus i'm hearing is that obama won the first half on the economy and McCain the 2nd on foreign policy; and that more people tuned into the first half

I wonder how much impact winning or losing the debates has, obviously someone can lose the election if they mess up but find it hard to see how someone can win the election there; especially given that the public is well familiar with them and their stances

IMO the real goal in the debates if you're a candidate is to get a particular marketing point accross, and trying to dispell some negative points; for Obama to prove he's 'presidential', not elitist and distant, an everyday american and able to communicate in a more intimate setting without his huge crowds, like he's sitting with you in a bar/kitchen table giving his opinion

and for mcCain to prove he's a safe pair of hands; despite someone above calling him that i think he's seen as a maverick, someone not afraid to clash with his own party, to shake things up and pull something out of the hat(palin), in footballing terms, that little bit of magic - he has to prove that this is not going to lead to him taking risks with the american peoples money and military

I think McCain has more to prove as he's been behind in the polls, the republicans are down and Obama has already been put to a severe test going against Hilary

The real interesting debate will be Palin - biden on thurs, bidens chance to really introduce himself to the general public and prove he really is a statesman, while palin has to fiercely defend the glow around her after the last few weeks, if she messes up or if biden beats her up it could be good night/see ya later for mcCain

Advertisement